User Avatar Image

How to Handle Deaths (Revised Poll)

posted by chucklas on - last edited - Viewed by 1K users

There has been much debate over how to handle deaths in this game. I want to present a single option asd ask, would this be ok with you?

So, if they were to implement the retry option as the default and allow the user to disable it and only save manually if they choose, would you be satisfied with that compromise?

168 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Lambonius said: I tried restarting, but ended up just having to quit.

What went wrong Lamb, you get a dead end? :D

• @chucklas said: What went wrong Lamb, you get a dead end? :D

Out of heap. Lol

• @Chyron8472 said: EDIT: Okay, I'll run with your mention of walkthroughs, since I thought of a store-bought strategy guide that really rubs me the wrong way. The Final Fantasy IX Official Strategy Guide by BradyGames has places all over it in the margins that refer to PlayOnline.com with various codes which must be input on said website to read further game hints and information. What I want is a standalone guide with all the pertinent info included in print. Sadly, no such guide exists in paper form for FF9, but I digress. You might say "just don't visit the site if you don't want to" but the fact that the guide constantly bothers me about it is of great annoyance to me.

So the same goes for always having a Retry button bothering me in a KQ game when it is not wanted.

Yeah, I hated that guide too. Even LONG after PlayOnline yanked down the FFIX online guide, BradyGames was STILL printing new copies of that annoying guide with all the margin crap in there! AGHHHHHH!!!

• @ScreamingFalcon said: Bad RAM?

Haha...yeah, my RAM was just not up to par!

• Did this tread derail already by the way?

Back to King's Quest though, I'd be happy with a retry/restore option when you die and I have no problem with them modernizing the system a bit. But the most important thing to me is that there actually is the possibility of death. It's been an important part in all of Sierra's adventure games, it makes the player feel that he's constantly in danger and can't just run around willy-nilly without consequences.

My favorite game is KQ5, it has excellent puzzles, it's challenging and it's serious yet funny. Every time I play it I always save the game and get Graham killed by going to a deadly scorpion, jumping off the cliff, getting caught in the castle etc. The narrator adds so much to that game, and his comments every time you die are so funny :)

So yes, the possibility of death absolutely has to be in TTG's version of KQ too. If there isn't, well then I will be utterly disappointed.

• User Avatar Image
    NSM

@Chyron8472 said:
    Yes, I would be bothered by the temptation. I don't want to feel like I'm continuously purposefully making the game harder for myself.

So the onus is on the developers to make the game arbitrarily difficult?

This debate just seems really weird, because it's almost as though the proponents know deep down that repeating sections of the game as punishment is no fun and kinda stupid, but choose to do it anyway out of tradition.

• @NSM said: it's almost as though the proponents choose to [be forced to repeat sections of the game for having not saved recently] anyway out of tradition.

Yes. This.

It's part of the established gameplay of the franchise. KQ7 moved to retries and ticked a lot of people off for it.

King's Quest has a very loyal fan following with strong feelings of nostalgia about the franchise, and if Telltale doesn't want to alienate a significant portion of the target market for this game, then they need to stick to tradition in this case.

• @Chyron8472 said: Yes. This.

It's part of the established gameplay of the franchise. KQ7 moved to retries and ticked a lot of people off for it.

King's Quest has a very loyal fan following with strong feelings of nostalgia about the franchise, and if Telltale doesn't want to alienate a significant portion of the target market for this game, then they need to stick to tradition in this case.

It torked off so many long time fans that they brought back manual saves and restores in later pressings.

Add Comment