User Avatar Image

I'll go back ten minutes early...ARGH!!!

posted by doodo! on - last edited - Viewed by 611 users

So, how is Marty going to warn doc about his murder if he shows up 10 minutes early and the other marty is standing right there??:rolleyes:

AND...why would Doc set up the same thing to happen with the Lybians? In the present of that time line Marty returns to, Doc already knows about the murdering and in that present it's clearly the future of those past events they've changed time with...his parents have changed, and it's a alternative reality...

So why would Doc have Marty go back to 1955 again? Wouldn't that create another alternative time line or something??

29 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @doodo! said: So, how is Marty going to warn doc about his murder if he shows up 10 minutes early and the other marty is standing right there??:rolleyes:

AND...why would Doc set up the same thing to happen with the Lybians? In the present of that time line Marty returns to, Doc already knows about the murdering and in that present it's clearly the future of those past events they've changed time with...his parents have changed, and it's a alternative reality...

So why would Doc have Marty go back to 1955 again? Wouldn't that create another alternative time line or something??

first off marty doesn't know about the rules of time travel yet and doesn't learn about the 'other self' paradoxes until the next film.
    doc knew he had to do everything the same to that time to avoid a paradox.

• I think Marty's thought was to go back before he (past him) got there, and would have if not for the Delorean dieing on him.

I don't think the thing with the Lybians could be avoided, Doc needed plutonium and that was the only source.

Doc would have knowingly sent Marty back "again" to complete the time loop that was already in motion.

• @Iggman88 said: I think Marty's thought was to go back before he (past him) got there, and would have if not for the Delorean dieing on him.

I don't think the thing with the Lybians could be avoided, Doc needed plutonium and that was the only source.

Doc would have knowingly sent Marty back "again" to complete the time loop that was already in motion.

I'll buy that. I had not considered that 10 times was enough time. But I guess it could of worked out to be enough, barely...:D

Well this loop is hard to justify as it's a time loop through alternative time lines...and yet the time lines have merged into one...??

??

LOL...

But, I suppose it's valid that it's hard to get fuel, but by the time of movie two it's Mr.Fusion.

@Iggman88 said: first off marty doesn't know about the rules of time travel yet and doesn't learn about the 'other self' paradoxes until the next film.
    doc knew he had to do everything the same to that time to avoid a paradox.

But, if it's an alternative time line to begin with and everything's different then why would old Marty still be there to begin with doing the same thing he was doing? Ok, it's believable he be there...but why would Doc set this up again?

I ask, BECAUSE...His parents have changed, everything is different but old Marty is still there going back in time to a now ALTERNATIVE PAST BECAUSE it's an alternative future he is traveling back from...So he's going back to a alternative 1955 as it's an alternative 1955 future..., alternative 1985 present.

PARADOX, creates another time line, once again...and that's not what Doc would want. Leaving well enough alone would be best for everyone.

• If Doc were to decide not to fake his death and send Marty back, then it would undo all Marty did when he was in 1955.

EDIT: The new Marty travels back in time and takes the place of old Marty in 1955

• That would only be true if Marty was no longer Doc's friend. He is, hence he still would have helped with his experiments, therefore no paradox.

• @Awesomepantsman said: If Doc were to decide not to fake his death and send Marty back, then it would undo all Marty did when he was in 1955.

It's very obvious doc knows whats going on in fact he even knows the time marty is supposed to return at as he set the time circuits for 1:35 (he doesnt realize marty changed it). Doc could have set up the time travel experiment for an hour earlier so he could leave without the libyans not showing up but he does so marty will leave, thinking doc was shot to death, accidently end up in 1955 to keep the time loop going.

• BUT, guys, girls, how can you loop in time when you have alternative times lines that have merged into a alternative time that you're traveling within? Hear what I'm saying?
    @Awesomepantsman said:
    EDIT: The new Marty travels back in time and takes the place of old Marty in 1955

I think we're on the same topic but I'm not sure yet.

• @doodo! said: BUT, guys, girls, how can you loop in time when you have alternative times lines that have merged into a alternative time that you're traveling within? Hear what I'm saying?

Gotta remember. Back to the Future doesn't follow any set rules of time travel. It kind of makes it up as it goes.

• @doodo! said: BUT, guys, girls, how can you loop in time when you have alternative times lines that have merged into a alternative time that you're traveling within? Hear what I'm saying?

I think we're on the same topic but I'm not sure yet.

at least from the perspective or part I, everything would have happened in the same manner. In both timelines, marty still would have seen george about to get hit by the car and pushed him out of the way. Now in the new one they meed differently but marty still would have had the disappearing picture and realized he had to get them together.

This theory does kind of get blown away in the sequels when they travel through time inentionally to change the timeline.

• @Michael J Fox is Canadian said: at least from the perspective or part I, everything would have happened in the same manner. In both timelines, marty still would have seen george about to get hit by the car and pushed him out of the way. Now in the new one they meed differently but marty still would have had the disappearing picture and realized he had to get them together.

This theory does kind of get blown away in the sequels when they travel through time inentionally to change the timeline.

Ok, wait, I think I get it now. This makes sense.

The time line Marty returns to, no...it doesn't make sense, nevermind. Doc has the note at the same time marty goes back in time to 1955.

The only thing that makes sense is if after Doc makes the time machine, if that alternate time line was already created.Which could make sense. It's a theory that a time machine, device can only "travel" as far back as the creation of its "traveling device". Or, it suggests Destiny, fate of some sort.

Because, the present Marty returns to is the future of the alternative time line that they have changed in the alternative time line past. Doc has the note.

And also, hold up now, it gets real ugly when Marty comes back to the past of the alternative time line because his parents would already be together based on what the other Marty had already done, and their would be two Martys....and even if he replaced the other Marty, things still get really screwed up because things are different and it's just a mess, a complete mess...

There would be two martys, evidence? The second movie, only in reality their would be THREE MARTYS....:p

Unless one replaced the other but in that order, that wouldn't likely happen. So we now have 3-4 alternative time lines...

It almost would make sense if the time line Marty returned to was the same up until the other Marty time travels back to the past and then the new time line takes over...But doc has the note in his pocket for all those years meaning the changes took effect in that time line immediately.

We're looking at 3-4 time lines if not more. :D

Why would Doc even try the experiment if he already knew it worked? The loop theory is sort of paradoxed because it's a alternative time line...

Add Comment