User Avatar Image

Red Dwarf Series X Confirmed

posted by Sausy Gibbon on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

I thought since Doctor Who had its own thread, I'd make one about Red Dwarf.

As of the 15th of April Doug Naylor confirmed that a new series is deffnitley in production with channel Dave. Other good news the episodes will be 30 minutes instead of 23 minutes and will be shown in a 40 minute block with ads. The broadcast is slated for September 2012.

So what do people think? Excited or hesitant? Should Holly return? Should the laugh track return? Should bunk scenes return? Will there be dillicious warm buttery toast?

97 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • YES.

Now I just have to hope that it airs in the US.

• Excited, ring back Holly, Bring back Kochanski, I would like some toast, my shiny thing, Everything from pre-starbug seasons should return.

• Needs more Rob Grant! If Back to Earth has shown us anything, it's that Red Dwarf looks great in HD, NO WAIT, it's that Naylor still doesn't quite get certain comedy elements that Grant added from Series 1 - 6, Series 7 and 8 were a big change in Direction, going for a more cinematic approach but you could tell the writing was different and was lacking a certain something.

That's what made 1 - 6 great is that they both had different writing styles and comedy styles and when working together, produced some of the best and funniest Red Dwarf moments.

I'm sure most Red Dwarf fans already know this, but I still wish that Rob Grant would just come back and both of them put their differences aside so we can get some brilliant Red Dwarf work again instead of just OK stuff.

• If Holly was to return I wonder if it would be Norman Lovett or Hattie Hayridge. Or if they wouldn't do it should they recast and with who. The two most reacuring suggestions on the Red Dward forum are Bill Bailey and Isy Suttie.

• Excited as hell. Too tired to elaborate, but... excited as hell.

• I wasn't aware there was even a Series 9. (Or was that Back to Earth?)

Anyway, great news. Red Dwarf is one of my all-time favorite shows. Also, thanks for reminding me I should get back to my plan of rewatching it all.

Also, I really hope they can get Norman Lovett back as Holly.

• I head this news about a week ago. Very exciting, though I don't hold high hopes it will be as good as the older seasons. Still, even bad Red Dwarf is better than most of the crap on TV these days.

• @RAnthonyMahan said: I wasn't aware there was even a Series 9. (Or was that Back to Earth?)

Anyway, great news. Red Dwarf is one of my all-time favorite shows. Also, thanks for reminding me I should get back to my plan of rewatching it all.

Also, I really hope they can get Norman Lovett back as Holly.

Series IX doesn't, and never will, exist. It's simply too awesome for this universe. If you watch Back to Earth, they talk about just this, especially in the 'Behind the Scenes' episode. Rent the DVD and see for yourself, I can't remember the exact details.

But yeah, colour me interested by this. I don't watch much TV these days, so this should get me stuck in front of the TV again. I just hope Doug Naylor realizes that, as great an ideas man he is, he needs help with the whole... 'comedy' thing. The last few series haven't been so hot with that.

• With Doug Naylor, he hits about as many times as he misses. Hopefully he is not so proud and allows some other writers to work on individual episodes or brings Rob Grant back.

• Series 7, 8 and even Back to Earth had some great moments, and hilarious scenes, but overall seems to fall down in the story stakes. I don't hold high hopes for Red Dwarf X to be as good as the earlier seasons, but it's still gonna be better than the vast majority of sitcoms churned out by US studios, right? :p

Add Comment