User Avatar Image

Red Dwarf Series X Confirmed

posted by Sausy Gibbon on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users

I thought since Doctor Who had its own thread, I'd make one about Red Dwarf.

As of the 15th of April Doug Naylor confirmed that a new series is deffnitley in production with channel Dave. Other good news the episodes will be 30 minutes instead of 23 minutes and will be shown in a 40 minute block with ads. The broadcast is slated for September 2012.

So what do people think? Excited or hesitant? Should Holly return? Should the laugh track return? Should bunk scenes return? Will there be dillicious warm buttery toast?

97 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Sausy Gibbon said: With Doug Naylor, he hits about as many times as he misses. Hopefully he is not so proud and allows some other writers to work on individual episodes or brings Rob Grant back.

You are aware that Doug Naylor co-wrote series VII and VIII with various other writers aren't you? Personally, I really enjoy series VII and 'Back to Earth' (which was written solely by Naylor), although I do despise '2 Pints of Larger and a Packet of Crisps in Space' (aka series VIII). There's no denying that the show was a lot funnier when Rob Grant was on board though.

I'm looking forward to the new series but I hope Doug is able to resist writing 2 or 3 part episodes and go back to the shows self contained singular episode roots. As for Holly, Norman Lovett is unlikely to return now he has fallen out with GNP again (in fact he slagged off BtE and stated that he was glad not to have done it and that he isn't interested in returning again). I believe that leaves Hattie as the most likely candidate, which would be pretty cool seaming as we haven't seen her as Holly since the end of series V.

It's worth noting that Doug is aiming to get the live studio audience back. I kind of have mixed feelings about that; the show would benefit from cast members performing to the very best of their comedic abilities and the show would have a livelier feel once again (although series VIII was filmed with an audience and it hardly made it a better show). On the other hand it would mean largely sacrificing the cinematic look seen in series VII and BtE and after seeing just how fantastic the exteriors and interiors of the crimson-short-one looked in BtE, I feel that would be a huge shame.

Regarding Kochanski; I really hope that she doesn't appear as a regular crew member again because I always felt that, much like the entire crew of Red Dwarf being resurrected for series VIII, that messed up the core appeal and concept of the show, which is at its greatest when it's running with the idea of a bunch of males, lost in deep space, with Lister as the last human alive. This made for the SIT part of the SIT-COM and also provides moments of poinency and pathos.

Instead, following the reveal of Kochanski's whereabouts during BtE, I would like the story arc for series X to focus on Lister's continual hunt for Kochanski. As the crew follow her trail they get into a new adventure each week, with episode 6 concluding with her return (just think along the lines of the structure used for series VI as the crew search for the hi-jacked Red Dwarf).

One last thing; it's high about time that the Cat got his own episode (other than Waiting For God from series I and the only partially produced, canned series VII episode The Identity Within). The episode could revolve around the crew coming across the Cat race's Ark spaceship last talked about in series I. The Cat would finally get to talk to his own people and discover what fate befell the Ark and it's kitty inhabitants. Also, maybe Lister and the Cat people have a conflict, seeming as they wrongly believed Lister to be their God whilst he was locked up in stasis.

• Davies
    I understood Doug Naylor worked with Paul Alexander but am not aware that he wrote any individual episodes. I found BtE alright but underwhelming. I think the show could do with some newer writers bringing something different here and there. It's not that I doubt Naylor's writing talents but a guy can't always the same as he was 15 years ago.
    It's sad that Norman Lovett may not return, his Holly had some of the best lines and Hattie would be likely to do it. I believe she frequents alot of the conventions.
    The live audience would be good but agree that its not the magic wand that brings them back to the early seasons and if the writings not there it just becomes a superficious trimming. I didn't like the interiors they didn't have that dirty look to the walls and it wasn't red. I mean Red Dwarf is a mining ship it's not supposed to look clean it serves it's function.
    Agree on Kochanski.
    Agree on the Cat idea he's really just pushed to the background in the later series.

• @Sausy Gibbon said: I didn't like the interiors they didn't have that dirty look to the walls and it wasn't red. I mean Red Dwarf is a mining ship it's not supposed to look clean it serves it's function.

I agree with you on this (well, except about the interior walls being red...really?!?!), Doug Naylor has stated that he always wanted the sets to look like Ridley Scott's Alien so I'm not sure why the corridors looked so clinical. What I was saying though was that the technical proficiency of those interior shots was pretty special for a UK TV show. Although surely you loved the exterior shots (including that stunning shot from outside the cemetery)? Also. that wide shot of the cargo bay was breathtaking and also suitably grimy.

• The thing about Back to Earth was that the first two episodes were a bit tacky. Then we got a great pay off in episode 3 for it all. But jokes about the upcoming DVD release and the TV channel it aired on are a bit much for me.

Don't even start me on the Dwarfers frolicking about on Coronation Street

• @JedExodus said: The thing about Back to Earth was that the first two episodes were a bit tacky. Then we got a great pay off in episode 3 for it all. But jokes about the upcoming DVD release and the TV channel it aired on are a bit much for me.

Don't even start me on the Dwarfers frolicking about on Coronation Street

I do agree to an extent but I was never that bothered by the elements that you mentioned. I almost feel like I should have been but I'm not. I guess it all comes down to the fact that it was all a hallucination in context of the show.

Having said that, I would rather they lost the DVD and Coronation Street references but I'm certainly not too fussed either way. I think I'm just relieved that BtE wasn't offensively awful like series VIII was!

P.S. I'm aware that it's all subjective ;)

• @Davies said: Having said that, I would rather they lost the DVD and Coronation Street references but I'm certainly not too fussed either way. At least BtE wasn't series VIII bad!

I liked series VIII, it done its best to get back to the whole early series vibe with Lister and Rimmer in close quarters.

I mean series VIII was far better than series VII which thought it could do serious sci-fi and be funny. Also, hardly any Rimmer, which didn't go down well with me at all

• @JedExodus said: I liked series VIII, it done its best to get back to the whole early series vibe with Lister and Rimmer in close quarters.

I mean series VIII was far better than series VII which thought it could do serious sci-fi and be funny. Also, hardly any Rimmer, which didn't go down well with me at all

First let me say that you're not wrong because it's your opinion. Anyway...

I loved the concept of getting back to the Rimmer and Lister bunk scenes but the two of them acted like best friends throughout the series which completely ruined it for me.

I have always believed that those who watch Red Dwarf for the comedy dislike series VII and like series VIII. Whereas people like myself who enjoy Red Dwarf more for the Sci-Fi, character development and drama like series VII and dislike series VIII.

Swings and roundabouts.

• @Davies said: First let me say that you're not wrong because it's your opinion. Anyway...

I loved the concept of getting back to the Rimmer and Lister bunk scenes but the two of them acted like best friends throughout the series which completely ruined it for me.

I have always believed that those who watch Red Dwarf for the comedy dislike series VII and like series VIII. Whereas people like myself who enjoy Red Dwarf more for the Sci-Fi, character development and drama like series VII and dislike series VIII.

Swings and roundabouts.

I like the sci-fi elements as well, but the comedy comes first and foremost for me. The earlier Series got the tone perfect, Series VII made it all a bit too dark and super-duper serious for me, did I mention no Rimmer?

Apples and oranges

• Honestly, there isn't a singe episode of Red Dwarf I didn't like. I thought they were all funny.

• @JedExodus said: I like the sci-fi elements as well, but the comedy comes first and foremost for me. The earlier Series got the tone perfect, Series VII made it all a bit too dark and super-duper serious for me, did I mention no Rimmer?

Apples and oranges

Don't get me wrong, I also love the comedy and not just the Sci-fi. The loss of Rimmer sucked but at least they did what they could to pepper him throughout series VII following his departure.

To each their own.

Add Comment