User Avatar Image

Red Dwarf Series X Confirmed

posted by Sausy Gibbon on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

I thought since Doctor Who had its own thread, I'd make one about Red Dwarf.

As of the 15th of April Doug Naylor confirmed that a new series is deffnitley in production with channel Dave. Other good news the episodes will be 30 minutes instead of 23 minutes and will be shown in a 40 minute block with ads. The broadcast is slated for September 2012.

So what do people think? Excited or hesitant? Should Holly return? Should the laugh track return? Should bunk scenes return? Will there be dillicious warm buttery toast?

97 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @GuruGuru214 said: I wish I could say, but aside from Back to Earth, I don't think Red Dwarf has aired here since I was 12.

There's some awesome and very comprehensive DVDs available. Just saying.

My favourite series is series II. As for my favourite epsiodes (I like them all aside from series VIII so this is just my personal highlights)...

Favourite Episodes

Series I

Future Echoes - Great use of a Sci-fi plotline.

Me² - Very funny and it also provides an interesting thought in the form of; what would you do if you were stuck with an exact copy of yourself? When you're Rimmer you know the results won't be good!

Series II

Thanks for the Memory - Easily, one of the most clever stories told within Red Dwarf. Plus, the scene with a drunken Rimmer and a fried egg and chilli chutney sandwich is a classic.

Queeg - Norman Lovett's episode. The twist at the end is brilliant and hilarious.

Series III

Marooned - A wonderful character study between Lister and Rimmer. Essentially, one extended bunk room type scene.

Polymorph - Red Dwarf's unique spin on Alien and its ilk. Also featuring an extremely fake looking snake.

Bodyswap - A great concept which revolves around Rimmer and Lister swapping bodies, only for Rimmer to abuse his host's (already shaky) temple.

Series IV

DNA - It features a psychotic curry man, made from mutton vindaloo (who can only be defeated with lager; the one thing that will kill a curry). What's not to love?!

Series V

Quarantine - A fantastic episode that's funny, creepy and full of character conflict all at once. The fact that it features Rimmer in a gingham dress certainly helps.

442082348_53f800110a.jpgAwesome

Demons and Angels - An unnerving look into the demonic sides of the Red Dwarf crew. The fact that it features Rimmer in stockings and suspenders certainly helps.

remembering_rimmer_2.jpgAwesome?!

Back to Reality - An all time classic. Actually led people at the time to think that this was the end of the show due to its portrayal of the boys from the Dwarf having been in a videogame this whole time.

Series VI

Gunmen of the Apocalypse - An award winning show and rightly so. A tremendous mash up of the Science Fiction and Western genres (18 years prior to Cowboys and Aliens no less).

Rimmerworld - A planet full of Rimmers?! Better get those worry balls on the go!

Out of Time - A nailbiting cliffhanger is proceeded by an episode stuffed with more gags than old-Rimmer's belly is stuffed with roast suckling pig.

Series VII

Tikka to Ride - Aside from a huge continuity error that sees the time drive able to travel through both time AND space, this episode is very clever and finally answers the question of who shot J.F. Kennedy.

Stoke Me a Clipper - Ace Rimmer returns and fills the crew and audience in on the characters true origins via a very poignant scene.

Blue - Following Chris Barrie's departure from the series, it was not only nice to have another Rimmer episode but also a wonderful one that expands upon Lister and Rimmer's patchy relationship. Also happens to have Rimmsy and Listey kissing and a wonderful song at the end.

Beyond a Joke - Kryten at his most prissy, which you either love or hate. I love!

Least Favourite Episodes

Series II

Better Than Life - A fantastic script is sadly let down by a limited budget (where Rhyl beach doubles for paradise).

250px-Better_Than_Life.pngA vision of Heaven. I think I'd rather go to Hell

Series III

Backwards - This was amazing back in the day. However, sadly the episode has not aged too well due to the backwards effect being old hat these days.

Series IV

White Hole - I just feel that the jokes fall a bit flat on this one. However, playing a game of Pool using planets is a genius concept.

Meltdown - Another fantastic script let down by budget problems. A planet far out in deep space looks exactly like a park in London apparently. Still, the jokes are wonderful and the ending is dripping with pathos.

Series V

The Inquisitor - Not bad, not great. Just is.

Series VIII
    All 8 episodes. I won't harp on about the reasons though.

Overall Favorite Episode

Quarantine - I just think this episode contains all the very best elements of Red Dwarf. Oh, did I also mention it has Rimmer WEARING A FREAKIN' GINGHAM DRESS!

23267_120961157925826_5261_n.jpg"So, let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you are completely sane?!"

Overall Least Favourite Episode

Pete: Part 2 - Red Dwarf at its very worst. The moment where a dinosaur egg sprouts legs and runs away in a sped-up Benny Hill motion belongs in an episode of The Teletubbies, NOT Red Dwarf. Horrendous.

================

Here's some more information on Series X...

Doug Naylor took to the floor at this years Dimension Jump fan convention and answered some questions...

* Doug's focus is on a characterful series, coming back down to the 'intimate SF/sitcom' stylings of earlier series.

* Talkie Toaster might make a reappearance.

* Doug hopes to return to model effects - rather than CGI spaceships but this is dependant on budget.

• I've been looking forward to the possibility of new Dwarf since the rumours started last year so it's great to actually get confirmation but it just makes the wait to see the new series all the more painful and long!

Also I've been trying to think which episode is my favourite but I can't seem to narrow it down to one so here's a top 6, not in any particular order:

Back to Reality
    White Hole
    Future Echoes
    Gunmen of the Apocalypse
    Queeg
    Dimension Jump

• Oh man, all this Dwarf talk has me jonesing to watch the whole series again.

• Favourite Series Series V. Great series. Great episodes each a classic. I mean five great episodes in a row The Inquisitor, Terrorform, Quarrantine, Demons and Angels, Back to Reality.
    Favourite Episode Hard to say two are dueling in my mind Back to Reality and Better than Life.
    Worst Episode Krytie TV. I like Davies description of Series VIII as Two Pints of Larger and a Packet of Chips in Space and this one was the worst. OK let's ignore the fact we're in space and this is sci-fi, lets have a story about a robot using a hidden camera to spy on women in the shower. The story could of been in a script by Chuck Lowe or any other American hack. I was really hopeful before this that there would be more cannary adventures getting back to the traditions of past series, then this comes along.
    @Davies Agree about White Hole other than the joke with Cat and the pool with planets thing it's mostly unmemorable. Even though I've seen it around 5 times I only recall the start and end of the episode.

• @Davies said: There's some awesome and very comprehensive DVDs available. Just saying.

I know, but they're freaking expensive! :(

• If you have a region-free DVD player you could just buy them from blighty, they're really cheap now.

The postage would be a bitch, but it may work out cheaper in the end, something to look into

• @Sausy Gibbon said: Krytie TV...OK let's ignore the fact we're in space and this is sci-fi, lets have a story about a robot using a hidden camera to spy on women in the shower. The story could of been in a script by Chuck Lowe or any other American hack. I was really hopeful before this that there would be more cannary adventures getting back to the traditions of past series, then this comes along.

I couldn't agree more. Also, you're right... Series V was an absolute belter!

@Sausy Gibbon said: I know, but they're freaking expensive! :(

Well, if you do find some spare change down the back of the couch (and are able to play region 2 DVDs - which isn't really a hard thing to achieve) then I think importing from Amazon.co.uk is the way to go. Here's some choices for you...

Series I - VIII: Just The Shows (no special features) - £22.47

Individual series with all the (fantastic) special features are around £4.99 each...

Series I
    Series II
    Series III
    Series IV
    Series V
    Series VI
    Series VII
    Series VIII
    Red Dwarf: Back To Earth - Director's Cut

Or a new range of releases has just been launched, which is the individual series without the extras, at an all time low price of £3.97 per series...

You can find the first edition (Series I) here.

Your last option is to not buy any Red Dwarf for the ultra low price of £0.00, which you can simulate by clicking here.

• All time top favourites: Justice, White Hole.

Second tier: far too many to count. Pretty much all of III, IV, V, and half of I & II. Duct Soup - the best episode of VII and severely underrated. The extended version on VHS/DVD adds some great dialogue to scenes that had to be cut/shortened.

Least favourite: Beyond a Joke, and Pete Pt 1 & 2, Only the Good...

Probably should go back and rewatch the whole 9 seasons again at some point.
    I still have some Red Dwarf VHS tapes even though I did replace the main series with DVDs...

• 2008 they released a limited edition All the Shows collection in an A4 case and in 2009 they released a smaller more dvd case length and width edition. They are still selling the latter and a few editions of the former are still available online.

• @Molokov said: Duct Soup - the best episode of VII and severely underrated. The extended version on VHS/DVD adds some great dialogue to scenes that had to be cut/shortened.

Ohh, good call. I should have had that on my favourite episodes list. It really bugs me that Duct Soup is generally hated by the fans. When did character based comedy become so hated?! :(

@Molokov said: I still have some Red Dwarf VHS tapes even though I did replace the main series with DVDs...

Long time Red Dwarf fans may recall that for a considerable number of years Red Dwarf was discontinued on VHS. I spent two years hunting down every series (two separate VHS releases per series), I would sometimes have to travel the country to find a needed volume.

Once I finally got the whole collection it was worth £200+ second hand... and then they released the DVDs and my tapes value fell to around £20. Very annoying but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't enjoyed the hunt (it was the first and last time I've spent so long collecting something). Good times, good times...

By the way, what did people think of the remastered series I-III? I thought they were awful myself, some of those "new and improved" special effects were appalling and couldn't hold a candle to the original model shots. The very worst was also the very first addition to Series I, Episode I; two very badly superimposed Scutters cross the screen and look more like a channel ident then a part of the show.

One of them even stops and looks right at the camera and winks. Talk about breaking the fourth wall, I mean why would the Scutter even do this?! I suspect that Doug Naylor was suffering from GLS (George Lucas Syndrome). Also, the classic bulky design of the ship got changed to a long dong / pencil. Horrible.

Add Comment