User Avatar Image

Red Dwarf Series X Confirmed

posted by Sausy Gibbon on - last edited - Viewed by 862 users

I thought since Doctor Who had its own thread, I'd make one about Red Dwarf.

As of the 15th of April Doug Naylor confirmed that a new series is deffnitley in production with channel Dave. Other good news the episodes will be 30 minutes instead of 23 minutes and will be shown in a 40 minute block with ads. The broadcast is slated for September 2012.

So what do people think? Excited or hesitant? Should Holly return? Should the laugh track return? Should bunk scenes return? Will there be dillicious warm buttery toast?

97 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • My fave eppie has to be Back to Reality - 'Are you seriously telling me you've been playing the prat version of Rimmer all this time?' Hehehe, and of course, Duanne Dibley!


    @Davies said: Long time Red Dwarf fans may recall that for a considerable number of years Red Dwarf was discontinued on VHS. I spent two years hunting down every series (two separate VHS releases per series), I would sometimes have to travel the country to find a needed volume.

    Once I finally got the whole collection it was worth £200+ second hand... and then they released the DVDs and my tapes value fell to around £20. Very annoying but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't enjoyed the hunt (it was the first and last time I've spent so long collecting something). Good times, good times...

    Ahh, I had an almost completre set of videos. I was missing two. So mine are even more worthless than yours... :)

  • @skeeter said: Ahh, I had an almost completre set of videos. I was missing two. So mine are even more worthless than yours... :)



    I guess that makes me feel somewhat better :D Although, I also purchased the Smeg Up tapes and a VHS of the Cat's Tounge Tied song. It features an extended cut of the camp musical number from series II - episode 6, along with a making of with Danny John-Jules. Plus, it's still very rare (and hasn't been included on any of the DVD releases). I've seen it sell for as much as £20 on Ebay.

    Here's what I'm talking about (although it doesn't seem to be selling for too much right now).

  • @Molokov said: Second tier: far too many to count. Pretty much all of III, IV, V, and half of I & II. Duct Soup - the best episode of VII and severely underrated. The extended version on VHS/DVD adds some great dialogue to scenes that had to be cut/shortened.



    Yes! Duct Soup was great! The whole 'squeaky Johnson' story in the extended version was classic. Def my favourite episode from VII

    I like White Hole as well ;)

  • @Davies said: I guess that makes me feel somewhat better :D Although, I also purchased the Smeg Up tapes and a VHS of the Cat's Tounge Tied song. It features an extended cut of the camp musical number from series II - episode 6, along with a making of with Danny John-Jules. Plus, it's still very rare (and hasn't been included on any of the DVD releases). I've seen it sell for as much as £20 on Ebay.

    Here's what I'm talking about (although it doesn't seem to be selling for too much right now).



    Ooh, I have Smeg Ups and Smeg Outs on video too. Come to think of it, my brother got me a set in a cardboard case with one ep from each of the 1st 6 seasons - came with a hologram and a keyring. However I have never seen that Tongue Tied video! Would it be bad to buy a tape when I don't even know where my video machine is? Heck, my DVD player isn't even plugged in...

  • User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

    If you have a PC, you have a DVD player.

    I know there were a couple of DVDs beyond just the standard 8 series (the remastered series, for one, and I believe there was a quiz disc as well?), but if you're interested, they also released the Smeg-Ups on DVD. See?

  • I don't think I've seen all the re-mastered episodes, but I've got them on DVD as I've got the Bodysnatcher collection which includes them as well as some other interesting stuff. Also have the Just the Smegs DVD, though my brother still has the original Smeg Ups & Smeg Outs VHS tapes. I think I've got all the DVDs, other than the Just the Shows & Beat the Geek. Also got the series V gift set which had a cool Starbug 1 model.

  • @corruptbiggins said: I don't think I've seen all the re-mastered episodes, but I've got them on DVD as I've got the Bodysnatcher collection which includes them as well as some other interesting stuff. Also have the Just the Smegs DVD, though my brother still has the original Smeg Ups & Smeg Outs VHS tapes. I think I've got all the DVDs, other than the Just the Shows & Beat the Geek. Also got the series V gift set which had a cool Starbug 1 model.



    The Bodysnatcher Collection is fantastic. I may not like the remastered episodes themselves but it's still good to have them on DVD as a fan of the show. The extras are really cool too; a self proclaimed 'Most Embarrassing Interview Ever' with Alan Titchmarsh interviewing Rob Grant and Doug Naylor. There's also a retrospective on the Remastering that's not shy of talking about what went wrong in the process, plus loads more (including commentaries).

    I missed out on the series V Starbug model but I do have the series VIII Scutter model that came with the limited boxed edition. It's probably the best thing to come out of series VIII for me.:p

    @corruptbiggins said: I have never seen that Tongue Tied video! Would it be bad to buy a tape when I don't even know where my video machine is?

    I doubt you would even need a video player because I really couldn't recommend watching it! It's pretty dire as a form of entertainment. It's value lies as a rare collectible and a curiosity.

  • Food for thought. Who thinks the Dave series should be the last? I'm not against the show but when Dave chooses to stop producing the franchise I think they should have a resoulution to the series not a cliffhanger but a deffinite end.

  • That's fair enough but they should probably test the waters to see if it would be worth producing multiple series. Or, if it does poorly, finish it off for good.

  • @Sausy Gibbon said: Food for thought. Who thinks the Dave series should be the last? I'm not against the show but when Dave chooses to stop producing the franchise I think they should have a resoulution to the series not a cliffhanger but a deffinite end.



    I'd rather they kept it going as long as there are interesting adventures left to be told, of a high enough quality. I'm not sure that I can think of a good way that Doug Naylor could purposefully put a cap on the series. Whilst the crew returning to Earth is the most obvious ending, it's also the one I'd hate to see most.

    Naylor has revealed his original plans for the final ever episode (which was meant to be at the end of series VIII but was changed to 'Only The Good...' due to budget restraints, hence the continuation through to BtE and series X, as opposed to the proposed movie reboot). The show was to end with the crew returning to Earth as Red Dwarf skimmed through Paris, flying through the Arc de Triomphe and knocking over the Eiffel Tower before grinding to a halt and smashing into a car. Lister emerges from the ship, walks over to the car and swaps insurance details with the car's driver.

    Seriously, this is how Doug Naylor planned/plans to end the TV show iteration. I can only imagine that the boys from the Dwarf traveled through time and space to achieve this, otherwise why is Paris there with people and cars 3 million years into the future?! If it was their goal to travel back to Earth via those methods then why not have used the time-drive, as opposed to sending Lister on a curry run in series VII?!

    Ignoring the dubious logic of that ending, it stills blows harder than Mr. Leafblower putting out cake candles on his Birthday. If there must be some kind of proper end to the show then I'd settle for an Alien Resurrection (theatrical cut) type of ending, where we see the boys approaching Earth, maybe something funny and profound is said and then a fade out from a shot of Red Dwarf in orbit above Earth to the credits. For some reason, I don't want to see them land on Earth, see the environment and have them interact with a welcoming party. It's just too conventional for Red Dwarf.

    I think the best solution is to treat the end of each new series as if it's the last ever episode; no cliffhangers, have an ending that leaves the show at a satisfying emotional conclusion but doesn't also negate the possibility of a continuation (the riding off into the sunset ending of Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade is a perfect example of this).

    In summary; it's all about the journey, not the destination.

    P.S. I've had to type this sucker out three times now. Sometimes I despise using a PS3 to browse the Internet.

Add Comment