User Avatar Image

Could not initialize direct3D and error message

posted by samwize on - last edited - Viewed by 5.3K users

Hi,

i brought cultureshock a few days ago by downloading the demo and unlocking the full game, but when i go on launch game it comes up with an error message saying 'ithis program has caused an error in USER.EXE. or KERNL.EXE.' Then after doing this it says it could not initialise direct3D but i have installed directX and Nvidia. Please could you help me i've waited a decade to play this game.

p.s. i have windowsME not XP

115 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm now having the same error!
    The game worked before (Ep. 1 worked fine too) but now I get the Direct3D error.

Running WinXP SP2, Geforce 6600GT, latest DirectX & drivers :(

Edit: nevermind, a reboot fixed it

• Mine says 'could not initialize direct 3D. You may want to check that the latest version of DirectX is currently installed on your system. Also make sure that this program as compiled with header files that match the installed DirectX DLLs.'

-I installed DirectX 9 and 10.

-I have no idea what the last part means.

-I switched graphics quality to 32 bit

-Game is not in compatibility mode

-Video card: GEForce 2 MX 100/200

-Operating System: Windows XP Pro

Please offer some suggestions.

• Have you tried updating your graphics card driver? You should be able to get it here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71_2.html

• User Avatar Image
    Seg

Glenwing:

Your video card, the GeForce 2 MX, is a DirectX 7 class of graphics card and doesn't meet the minimum requirements of DirectX 8 class or better. I'm afraid there isn't much we can do for you with that hardware configuration.

• Ah. Well, thanks for the help.

• I'm getting the same error message. All the above stuff has been checked and I'm good for all of it. I have XP and an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100. Any idea what the problem is?

• Did you try updating DirectX even if it looks like it is up to date? DX is extremely deceptive and it's always worth updating it again. Plus, so many programs modify it that it gets easily corrupted.

• I tried, but it just keeps saying that a newer or equivalent version of DirectX is already installed. I can't find it to uninstall so I can reinstall either.

• My guess is that your Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 will not run the game. In general, integrated graphics are not supported for our games (although the games will sometimes run with them).

Sorry. :(

• Hi,

I can't run Sam and Max ep. 202.

When I first tried to run the game, the program crashed. The error report told me that there was a problem with d3d8.dll. When I tried to launch the game again, I was told that Direct3D couldn't be initialized.

- All the games from Season 1 + ep. 201 run perfectly well on my computer!
    - I use 32-bit colors and don't use the compatibility mode.
    - I've tried to delete the prefs.prop file as well as reinstalling the game.
    - I use Windows XP Professional on an IBM Thinkpad T43 with an ATI Mobility Radeon X300 graphics card (apparently same setup as this guy: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3844).
    - I've updated DirectX and the drivers for my graphics card.
    - I've tried to disable my antivirus software as well as other resident programs without any luck.

Do you have any idea why I only encounter this problem with ep. 202?

And do you have any further ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

Add Comment