User Avatar Image

Red Dwarf Series X Confirmed

posted by Sausy Gibbon on - last edited - Viewed by 845 users

I thought since Doctor Who had its own thread, I'd make one about Red Dwarf.

As of the 15th of April Doug Naylor confirmed that a new series is deffnitley in production with channel Dave. Other good news the episodes will be 30 minutes instead of 23 minutes and will be shown in a 40 minute block with ads. The broadcast is slated for September 2012.

So what do people think? Excited or hesitant? Should Holly return? Should the laugh track return? Should bunk scenes return? Will there be dillicious warm buttery toast?

97 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I like the idea of getting a movie out. And have it start with the boys getting back to Earth to find it's dead and empty. Maybe humans have started a new life in the colonies in the stars and they're on a hunt to find other humans, either way I agree with you that going back to Earth to live out the rest of their days would be too bland.

Also I want Hollister back, last time I saw him was in an ad for Big Al's burgers proclaiming "IS THIS A BURGER I SEE BEFORE ME!" and I would very much like to see Mac McDonald have something a bit better on his resume.

But yes, I really want the movie, the show'd adapt to the big screen very well if time and care was taken :)

• That ending sounds horrible. I never felt like an ending where they returned to Earth would work. Lister has been changed so much by the journey he has been on it would be almost impossible for him to return to the way things were before. An ending I could see might involve them returning to a parrelel Earth, the crew dying, Lister getting back with Kochanski or the crew returning to Earth only to see it explode before their eyes, but I don't write for the show. I wonder if it was Rob and Grant's plan to have Lister stay on Red Dwarf for the remainder of his life, in Future Echoes the vision of the 70-80 year old Lister is still in his bunk. I never understood what Rimmer's motivations were for returning to Earth. What life would he have their?

• @Sausy Gibbon said: That ending sounds horrible. I never felt like an ending where they returned to Earth would work. Lister has been changed so much by the journey he has been on it would be almost impossible for him to return to the way things were before. An ending I could see might involve them returning to a parrelel Earth, the crew dying, Lister getting back with Kochanski or the crew returning to Earth only to see it explode before their eyes, but I don't right for the show. I wonder if it was Rob and Grant's plan to have Lister stay on Red Dwarf for the remainder of his life, in Future Echoes the vision of the 70-80 year old Lister is still in his bunk. I never understood what Rimmer's motivations were for returning to Earth. What life would he have their?

I like your way of thinking regarding the end of the show but I agree that it still wouldn't work. Also, it's interesting that you mentioned bottle-cap-opening-armed Lister from the episode Future Echoes because it would imply that he was destined to remain lost in space for the remainder of his days. In fact, wouldn't it be cool if the final episode flashed forwards to show the crew as being old and accepting of their fate, to have a scene where Lister is lying on his bed arguing with Rimmer in the bunk room, only to stop arguing and remember the past and start responding to past Rimmer about "you want to know what happens to you Rimmer...". Old Rimmer calls Lister a goit just as he did in Future Echoes. :D

I don't see why Rimmer wouldn't want to return to Earth, he has probably fooled himself into thinking that he could be happy back home. Of course Rimmer would be miserable even in Heaven but eveyone needs a dream in life, a goal to aspire to. It's what keeps us going.

• I never felt his dream was to return to Earth, his dream was to meet the aliens he was looking for and they would give give him a body and make him their captain. With his family he never really had a home and I don't he could ever be happy on Earth.

• @Darth Marsden said: If you have a PC, you have a DVD player.

This is why my DVD player ins't even plugged in. I watch everything on the computer or on media players...

@Darth Marsden said: I know there were a couple of DVDs beyond just the standard 8 series (the remastered series, for one, and I believe there was a quiz disc as well?), but if you're interested, they also released the Smeg-Ups on DVD. See?

Yup, got the DVDs. I do want bodysnatchers though... I couldn't afford it when it first came out, never got around to getting it.

@Darth Marsden said: I missed out on the series V Starbug model but I do have the series VIII Scutter model that came with the limited boxed edition. It's probably the best thing to come out of series VIII for me.:p

Aww, I missed out on the Skutter model, and the Duanne Dibley bobble head that came with Beat The Geek! But I do have a mini Starbug, and some little model set with Rimmer and Lister.

@Darth Marsden said: I doubt you would even need a video player because I really couldn't recommend watching it! It's pretty dire as a form of entertainment. It's value lies as a rare collectible and a curiosity.

I can't bring myself to get it, but it's a close one!

• So I've just started watching the re-mastered series mainly out of curiosity (only watched The End so far) and I can't believe how bad it is in most places. Bad cuts, iffy CGI and the removal of some good lines. But some of the new Holly lines aren't bad, plus the 'What's Different' text track is a little informative and quite amusing which is good. A lot of poking fun at themselves, so you can tell that they realise that this wasn't the best idea and then it was poorly executed. So for the text track alone I will watch the remaining 17 re-mastered episodes.

• @corruptbiggins said: ...the 'What's Different' text track is a little informative and quite amusing which is good. A lot of poking fun at themselves, so you can tell that they realise that this wasn't the best idea and then it was poorly executed. So for the text track alone I will watch the remaining 17 re-mastered episodes.

That text track sounds really cool. I've never watched it because the DVD doesn't let you enable it alongside the commentary but based on what you just said, I'll definitely will be watching it tonight. Cheers for the recommendation.

EDIT: I've watched the trivia track and can confirm that it is indeed very humouress.

• I don't know if any of you are keeping up to date with the progress of the series, but I've been meaning to revive this thread for a while but couldn't find a piece of news to start with and this is about a good a time as ever. The news seeems good live audience shooting on series X episodes has finished they have brought back model shots instead of CGI read about it here. There hasn't been a set date for when it will starts airing. I feel both optimistic and pessimistic about it.

• @Sausy Gibbon said: I feel both optimistic and pessimistic about it.

I know what you mean; I'm expecting the worst but hoping for the best.

• I like that they have included model effects again this time it shows that they are listening to the fans about what they like about the show so hopefully that will pass on to the writing as well.

Add Comment