User Avatar Image

Worst Levels You've Ever Encountered

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 2.6K users

In almost every game (mostly action or platformer games) there's always that one level that we dislike, hate or absolutely despise. It's the one that thought was crap upon our first playthrough, and it's the one we dread upon each replay. It might have caused you immense frustration and made you tear out your hair, it might have seemed almost impossible, it might have been one of those levels that presents a problem that seems to have no solution whatsoever, it might have been poorly designed, it might have been annoying, or you might've just plain not liked it for your own personal reasons. For whatever reason it may be, we all have levels that we hate and wish never existed.

So share your tales of frustration here, tear your least favourite levels to shreds, nitpick, explain why these levels were so terrible, and criticize and abuse the designers of said levels (whoever they may be).

99 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Scnew said: 16466-Battletoads%20-%20Level%203-2-620x

Especially in two player mode. Ugh.

Ugh, I recently replayed Battletoads vs. Double Dragon with a friend, and those parts were just terrible. Everytime one of you falls the other one misses their jump too. It's just a definite game over.

• ... and every single Stinkoman level as well, I could never get through, or else I am just a pretty lousy gamer, lol.

• The fourth table (Showdown) in Sonic Spinball. Seriously, that thing was bullshit.

Other than that, I can only think of four instances of teeth-grinding frustration.

1. The last chapter in Star Wars: Bounty Hunter. The Bando Gora are such bullshit enemies.
    2. The Minas Tirith level in Lord of the Rings: Return of the King.
    3. The Special Stages in Sonic Heroes.
    4. Visions by Abnormality in Rock Band 2. I count it because it was something that had to be overcome to finish the Endless Setlist 2, and having never played it before the setlist, it came right the fuck out of nowhere and was the only song that was insurmountable on hard bass and guitar for my group. I eventually did overcome it on hard drums and was able to clear it in one try when I played the setlist on my own. It was the only song I got three stars on.

• Sky Shark for Nintendo. That game sucked so much. I couldn't even get past the first level the planes were so fast and the stupid tanks.

• @Darth Marsden said: I dislike DK64 as a whole because it's just one long collectathon, and I like a little more depth than that in my games, but being forced to play the original DK was such a massive middle finger that I had to mention it.

Gee, all of these things are just reasons why I LOVE the game.

• @Chyron8472 said: I didn't get stuck in the OoT Water Temple, albeit I did have a strategy guide at hand. It was certainly annoying though.

i really don't understand the appeal of strategy guides to people. sure it makes the game much harder but when you beat it you can say you actually did it

• Because sometimes you don't want to take a month to beat a game.

• As a collector of strategy guides, I can honestly say there's just something about the way they feel. Having a whole tome of knowledge at your fingertips is very satisfying, knowing that, should you require aid, you can turn to it and the solution will be there, in great detail and with images to make it visually appealing.

It's something FAQs, for all their uses, will never quite replicate, in the same way that a Kindle will never replace real books (well, for me they won't, anyway).

Anyway. I completely forgot to mention it earlier (because I'm stupid and such) but pretty much anything from this exhaustive list fits under the thread topic.

• For anyone who thinks psychonauts meat circus, read this, then rage:

You can just throw confusion grenades at the rabbit then pick it up.

Anyway, for me, the "level" would be the final castle of the game I wanna be the guy

• Does that skip all the frustrating platforming? 'cause somehow I doubt it.

Add Comment