User Avatar Image

Worst Levels You've Ever Encountered

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 2.5K users

In almost every game (mostly action or platformer games) there's always that one level that we dislike, hate or absolutely despise. It's the one that thought was crap upon our first playthrough, and it's the one we dread upon each replay. It might have caused you immense frustration and made you tear out your hair, it might have seemed almost impossible, it might have been one of those levels that presents a problem that seems to have no solution whatsoever, it might have been poorly designed, it might have been annoying, or you might've just plain not liked it for your own personal reasons. For whatever reason it may be, we all have levels that we hate and wish never existed.

So share your tales of frustration here, tear your least favourite levels to shreds, nitpick, explain why these levels were so terrible, and criticize and abuse the designers of said levels (whoever they may be).

99 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Actually, most of the Nintendo games named in here I never had a problem with.
    I never found the Water Temple that hard, I never found the bad bird rag level in DKC hard.

I've never used strategy guides either, although I have, on a blue monday, used a faq to help me in collecting every little thing.

• I HATE swimming levels... except for the banjo-kazooie/tooie swimming levels, I have hated every swimming level i've ever encountered... also anything with a nautical theme I generally hate, idk why but I do...

• Really? I like the Super Mario Bros. 1 and Donkey Kong Country swimming levels

• @dumpling321 said: I HATE swimming levels... except for the banjo-kazooie/tooie swimming levels, I have hated every swimming level i've ever encountered... also anything with a nautical theme I generally hate, idk why but I do...

Hmmm. I'm not too fond of swimming levels either. I think it's cos, to make it realistic, they make your character glide a bit, so controlling can be annoying.

• I have never been a fan of underwater/swimming levels, or even levels where you have to go in water at all for extended periods of time. Especially when there are also things in the water that can kill you, and you can only stay underwater for a limited amount of time. The worst of this, I found, was in 'Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine', when I had to search through a big half-sunken ship of some sort, and I had to swim long distances without drowning Indy, whilst also trying to avoid sharks at the same time.

I can't remember much about this part of the game (it was a long time ago); all I remember is that I really hated it.

• @DAISHI said: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Water Temple.

As obtuse a puzzle as I ever saw. Was the game that forced me to reset and start over, because I was entirely sure I'd used a key in the wrong place and ended up with no ability to make forward progress. Lately I've heard I was wrong, but I hear different information on that. Anyway, it sucked.

Disagree. It's all there logically, it's not like an adventure game puzzle where you have to randomly figure out that you have to eat half of an apple and then use it to stabilize a desk leg so that you can write a letter on the desk using a feather and blueberries.

I had the problem of not being able to find a key as well, but right before I was going to give up I realized there was one last thing I hadn't tried. There it was.

@DAISHI said: See collecting was cool in Mario 64 because you had a discernible end with clues. Rare took obscure collecting and made it its own genre

Yea, M64 and Kazooie were great - DK64 and Banjo-Tooie went too far with collecting. With Mario and Kazooie, you felt you had to get everything - nothing was wasted, everything was an interesting challenge. In DK64 and BT it was just insanity with crap everywhere. I didn't bother getting all of the stuff in those games because the games didn't give me enough reason to care. Same with Mario Sunshine. Galaxy brought me back to being a 100%'er (well, not counting beating the whole thing again with Luigi).

• The dung hill level in Conker Reloaded. That level was crap.

• Last Ninja 3 had pretty badly designed levels, very annoying and confusing.
    I love the series but LN3 is by far the weakest entry... the previous two games had much, much more logically laid out areas.

I tried mapping the LN3 levels (the Amiga version, I already knew the C64 levels well enough), and it's quite a headache - it's a bit hard to explain so I'll just post one of the level maps here... if you look a bit at that, you'll see what I mean about confusing levels.
    The letters at the exits of the various screens signify where you will end up upon leaving the screen (A leads to another entry on another screen which is also marked with A, etc).

th_LastNinja3AmigaLevel3.jpg

• @JuntMonkey said: Disagree. It's all there logically, it's not like an adventure game puzzle where you have to randomly figure out that you have to eat half of an apple and then use it to stabilize a desk leg so that you can write a letter on the desk using a feather and blueberries.

I had the problem of not being able to find a key as well, but right before I was going to give up I realized there was one last thing I hadn't tried. There it was.

Yea, M64 and Kazooie were great - DK64 and Banjo-Tooie went too far with collecting. With Mario and Kazooie, you felt you had to get everything - nothing was wasted, everything was an interesting challenge. In DK64 and BT it was just insanity with crap everywhere. I didn't bother getting all of the stuff in those games because the games didn't give me enough reason to care. Same with Mario Sunshine. Galaxy brought me back to being a 100%'er (well, not counting beating the whole thing again with Luigi).

Agree to disagree about Zelda.

See Mario Galaxy, was a 100%er. I even did the Luigi half, but I had to let the game rest for a few months before I went back to do that. Was actually harder because Luigi's movements are looser.

Add Comment