User Avatar Image

Worst Levels You've Ever Encountered

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 2.6K users

In almost every game (mostly action or platformer games) there's always that one level that we dislike, hate or absolutely despise. It's the one that thought was crap upon our first playthrough, and it's the one we dread upon each replay. It might have caused you immense frustration and made you tear out your hair, it might have seemed almost impossible, it might have been one of those levels that presents a problem that seems to have no solution whatsoever, it might have been poorly designed, it might have been annoying, or you might've just plain not liked it for your own personal reasons. For whatever reason it may be, we all have levels that we hate and wish never existed.

So share your tales of frustration here, tear your least favourite levels to shreds, nitpick, explain why these levels were so terrible, and criticize and abuse the designers of said levels (whoever they may be).

99 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Any level that has pitfalls and is part of a game that has clunky controls a.k.a. game with high difficuly for the wrong reasons.

Yes, I am looking at you Tomb Raider: Underworld.

• The top floor in the Elevator of Doom in Project Altered Beast, the fight is so ridiculous hard with that centipede boss that I gave up on the game, and I have never touched it since...

• @Origami said: Any level that has pitfalls and is part of a game that has clunky controls a.k.a. game with high difficuly for the wrong reasons.

Yes, I am looking at you Tomb Raider: Underworld.

I couldn't get past an alley or some nonsense like that in the first level and never tried again.

• All of Evil Dead: Hail to the King, with it's confusing, maze like layout, respawning enemies and clunky controls. A shame because the atmosphere was suitably creepy and Bruce Campbell provided the voice of Ash.

• @DAISHI said: I couldn't get past an alley or some nonsense like that in the first level and never tried again.

That sounds suspiciously like Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness. I've never really tried that one, but I've not really heard good things.

• @Darth Marsden said: That sounds suspiciously like Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness. I've never really tried that one, but I've not really heard good things.

Don't ever play that game. During the sixth level, Satan literally emerges from your screen, dances the hot fandango and claims your soul for all eternity. Needless to say, I've played better.

• Tomb Raider Underworl is pretty awesome except for the sometimes clunky controls and camera. The environments are really varied and there is little to none repetition in designs. Like the Uncharted games it's a delight exploring the areas and there is a great flow.
    If you're fan of platformers with organic environments and exotic locations this game is for you.

• The final boss from Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I. Gaahhhhhh!

Also, the stair well level and the last boss on Metal Gear Solid under the 'hard' setting. Double Gaahhhhhh!

Although I guess that there's no denying; the tougher the level, the greater the satisfaction upon completion.

• @Davies said: Don't ever play that game. During the sixth level, Satan literally emerges from your screen, dances the hot fandango and claims your soul for all eternity. Needless to say, I've played better.

Well, he'd have a hard time claiming my soul - mine already belongs to Rosario Dawson.

Recently replayed Half-Life and man, the Xen levels really are a letdown, aren't they? I wouldn't say they're bad, but after the excellence of the rest of the game, they simply aren't in the same league. Major step backwards and a really bad way to end the game.

Add Comment