User Avatar Image

Worst Levels You've Ever Encountered

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 2.6K users

In almost every game (mostly action or platformer games) there's always that one level that we dislike, hate or absolutely despise. It's the one that thought was crap upon our first playthrough, and it's the one we dread upon each replay. It might have caused you immense frustration and made you tear out your hair, it might have seemed almost impossible, it might have been one of those levels that presents a problem that seems to have no solution whatsoever, it might have been poorly designed, it might have been annoying, or you might've just plain not liked it for your own personal reasons. For whatever reason it may be, we all have levels that we hate and wish never existed.

So share your tales of frustration here, tear your least favourite levels to shreds, nitpick, explain why these levels were so terrible, and criticize and abuse the designers of said levels (whoever they may be).

99 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • For its era I think Half Life ended better than most.

• @Davies said: Don't ever play that game. During the sixth level, Satan literally emerges from your screen, dances the hot fandango and claims your soul for all eternity. Needless to say, I've played better.

@Davies said: That sounds suspiciously like Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness. I've never really tried that one, but I've not really heard good things.

Turns out the game I was referencing was, indeed, Angel of Darkness.

• I came in to talk about the Water Temple from LOZ:OOT as well. lol I'm glad i'm not the only one who had problems with it.

I can't think of many other games where I had huge problems with the levels. Allthough, bascily every level of the original Stuntman would fit the bill

• @waroftheworlds01 said: ...bascily every level of the original Stuntman would fit the bill

Oh wow, good call Brother. I spent many a hour working my way through that harsh mistress. Each and every torturess stage became a foul reminder of the sheer futility of life. Each ill-timed jump or explosion was a gigantic thorn, plunged into the very depths of my soul. Upon the 112th attempt of stage 8; I begged God for mercy and yet he would not acknowledge my humble plea and at that precise moment in time I knew that for ever more; I was doomed.

T'was a pretty good game. I'd give it a B+

I must check out the sequel some time...

cartoon_drawing_of_a_mad_man_in_a_straigHahahahaaaaaahahaaahaha. Ha

• Another contribution:

Final bosses of some fighting games.

People have complained about Seth, (who has seemingly been nerfed a bit more on the 3DS version of SSF4), but he's nothing compared to these buggers:

1. M.Bison Street Fighter Alpha 3, World Tour mode
    In World Tour Mode in the console version of the game, you end up fighting a level which is pretty hard already since you have to beat several Cammys and Juni and Juli at the same time, but then you have to fight M.Bison as well.
    Not the normal version of him either.
    This is a special version which just loves to teleport and use his Super move.

2. Shin Akuma (SFA3)
    This guy is soooooo tough! He'll eat you on both World Tour and in the VS Akuma mode.

3. Hazama (BlazeBlue Continuum Shift :Arcade Mode)
    This guy is horrid. His ai is ramped up really bad (is very cheap), and he has an Aura that saps you life!!

4. Any King Of Fighters boss.
    SNK = Evil Wizards

5. Ultimate Rugal (Capcom vs SNK 2)

Evil. Moreso than regular, who is damn hard and cheap.
    (Even on the Neo Geo Pocket game!)
    Heals after each round unbeaten too!

6. Gill (Street Fighter 3)

He's pretty tough, but that revival super is just plain mean!

7. Onslaught (Marvel vs Capcom)

8. Jinpachi (Tekken 5)

9. Azazel (tekken 6)

10. Soul Edge (Soul Edge/Blade)

11. Shao Khan (Mortal Kombat)

• @Davies said: Oh wow, good call Brother. I spent many a hour working my way through that harsh mistress. Each and every torturess stage became a foul reminder of the sheer futility of life. Each ill-timed jump or explosion was a gigantic thorn, plunged into the very depths of my soul. Upon the 112th attempt of stage 8; I begged God for mercy and yet he would not acknowledge my humble plea and at that precise moment in time I knew that for ever more; I was doomed.

The sequel is actually a lot more forgiving. There's still plenty of trial and error but you don't have to have things timed quite as tightly as in the original. The only thing I didn't like about the sequel is that the film trailers you get at the end had idealized versions of your stunts in them, while the original game put the actual stunts you performed in the trailer.

• @Davies said: Oh wow, good call Brother. I spent many a hour working my way through that harsh mistress. Each and every torturess stage became a foul reminder of the sheer futility of life. Each ill-timed jump or explosion was a gigantic thorn, plunged into the very depths of my soul. Upon the 112th attempt of stage 8; I begged God for mercy and yet he would not acknowledge my humble plea and at that precise moment in time I knew that for ever more; I was doomed.

LOL! I'm with you on that one. The second one actually took all the challenge out of the original and made the game more fun. The new one has the three strike you're out thing going on. So you can make mistakes but your score at the end of the scene will suffer for it. I liked the second stunt man as much as the first but what makes the original even better than the second is the ammount of accomplishment you felt after you beat the game.

Stuntman took me forever. I had it for a long while and couldn't get past one on the later levels and got so aggervated that I sold the game. A year or two later after it dropped down in price I decided to buy it again because I felt that i really needed to finish the game. It still took forever but in the end I was like "YEEAAHHH!! THat's right!!! I finished Stuntman!!! SUCK ON THAT!!!" lol

While the second stuntman only took me a few days. It was fun but after I beat it I didn't feel that sense of accomplishment like one feels after finishing or winning a very challenging puzzle or game.

• I thought of another one.

12X1FFYW10-V434.jpg

The original Ninja Turtles game is frustrating all over the place, but the dam level just sucks. It's not impossible or anything, it's just that it's timed, it's completely different from the rest of the game, no reasonable amount of practice can get you through unscathed, and it's just not fun.

• @Scnew said: I thought of another one.

12X1FFYW10-V434.jpg

The original Ninja Turtles game is frustrating all over the place, but the dam level just sucks. It's not impossible or anything, it's just that it's timed, it's completely different from the rest of the game, no reasonable amount of practice can get you through unscathed, and it's just not fun.

yes yes and yes. That game got ridiculous with how easy it is to die. I think I remember that underwater level and thought it was insane. I'm glad TMNT 2 & 3 are more like arcade games.

Add Comment