User Avatar Image

Turn subtitles on/off in game/cutscenes?

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 2.6K users

I tried the game, but there are no subtitles during the cinematics.
Because the game is english only and very difficult for anyone not mothertongue (like me) due to the slang used.

I know that BINK video format can have subtitles: there is a way to activate them?

40 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Surely in this case it would be "urban British"?

Britains, americans... All of them speak the same nonsense for me... :P

But of course the game is pure british... :)

Telltale... Are you going to fix the no-subtitles problem of the cinematic scenes??? I can't play the game without them...

• @Megaace said: Telltale... Are you going to fix the no-subtitles problem of the cinematic scenes??? I can't play the game without them...

Me neither...
    I bought the PC version instead of the cheaper iPhone one cause I thought you would have fixed that...

• Hi !

I too would like the subtitles in the cinematic scenes !

Please, TTG ? :-)

• I agree, quite incredible..

• User Avatar Image
    OMA

Sorry, Telltale, but you did an sloppy job with the subtitles in this game. You managed to annoy BOTH groups of people:

* The ones who, like me, want subtitles to catch everything, because videos don't include subtitles
    * The ones who don't want any subtitles at all, because they don't need them to understand everything, and they seemingly ruin the jokes (I don't have that problem since when reading subtitles, I tend to read at the speed the characters talk; not that I read that slow otherwise)

So, why the lack of subtitles in the videos? It can't be that hard to synchronize some subtitles with the video.

And why disabling the option to remove in-game subtitles for people who want that? That's a feature already available in EVERY Telltale game ever released except this one. It didn't take any extra effort to leave that as it was. Why remove the option?

• @OMA said: Sorry, Telltale, but you did an sloppy job with the subtitles in this game. You managed to annoy BOTH groups of people:

* The ones who, like me, want subtitles to catch everything, because videos don't include subtitles
    * The ones who don't want any subtitles at all, because they don't need them to understand everything, and they seemingly ruin the jokes (I don't have that problem since when reading subtitles, I tend to read at the speed the characters talk; not that I read that slow otherwise)

So, why the lack of subtitles in the videos? It can't be that hard to synchronize some subtitles with the video.

And why disabling the option to remove in-game subtitles for people who want that? That's a feature already available in EVERY Telltale game ever released except this one. It didn't take any extra effort to leave that as it was. Why remove the option?

Telltale didn't actually develop the game, they only published it. Straandlooper developed it so they are a better target for criticism.

Was the ability to toggle subtitles on iPhone or are you just talking about other Telltale games?

• @Woodsyblue said: Telltale didn't actually develop the game, they only published it. Straandlooper developed it so they are a better target for criticism.

That maybe true but this is a Telltale Forum and they could at least answer the questions. Otherwise they shouldn't release stuff which they don't develop because where is the point in having a forum in which you cannot reach the people responsible?

• @MarkoH01 said: ]Otherwise they shouldn't release stuff which they don't develop because where is the point in having a forum in which you cannot reach the people responsible?

I'm sorry but this logic is insane. You are saying Telltale shouldn't publish a game they didn't make because their forum only covers Telltale games. I don't even know where to begin with that?

You know what, I don't have the patience at this moment in time to point out how wrong that is so I'm just going to agree with you because it's easier. How dare Telltale give a little indie developer the chance to reach a wider audience! They should have known there would be bugs, and that people couldn't use their forums as an avenue to complain about those bugs! I'm so angry right now I'm going to go punch a kitten in the face, and it's Telltale's fault because they allowed it to happen! TELLTALE, YOU MONSTERS!!!

• User Avatar Image
    OMA

Well, as far as I know, Telltale DID develop the PC version of Hector, using the audio and graphic assets from the iPhone game, which was developed by Straandlooper, sure, but the PC version is a port made by Telltale in the Telltale tool, so if it doesn't have any settings for subtitles (so there's no subtitles in videos and forced subtitles in the game) it's their fault.

Please, stop the sarcasm. I think this is a valid complaint. Maybe one could argue that creating subtitles for the videos is extra work (though I think they should have added them anyway for consistency and quality, not to mention helping non-native English speakers and even hard-of-hearing people), but adding a "subtitles on/off" option for the rest of the game so subtitles can be disabled for people who don't want them should be trivial. There's no reason not to include it.

• @OMA said: Well, as far as I know, Telltale DID develop the PC version of Hector, using the audio and graphic assets from the iPhone game, which was developed by Straandlooper, sure, but the PC version is a port made by Telltale in the Telltale tool, so if it doesn't have any settings for subtitles (so there's no subtitles in videos and forced subtitles in the game) it's their fault.

Actually, I think Telltale has made it clear that Straandlooper developed all versions of the game, using the Telltale Tool for the PC/Mac version.

But it doesn't really matter -- it's entirely appropriate to address concerns about the game to the publisher, especially when said publisher provides a forum for doing so on the same site where the game is sold. It's usually the case that publishers, not developers, are ultimately responsible and accept tech support duties. (A Telltale staffer has already responded in a thread about a different issue with the game, indicating they acknowledge their role.)

It's wrong to suggest that Telltale can wash its hands of responsibility for the game just because they didn't actually develop it themselves. I understand the sarcastic response to the statement that Telltale shouldn't publish games it doesn't develop. But I took that statement to mean that "Telltale shouldn't publish games it isn't willing to take responsibility for", and that is a perfectly legitimate thing to say.

Add Comment