User Avatar Image

Rate the Last Game You Finished

posted by DrRocketGenius on - last edited - Viewed by 4.1K users

Title says it all. Rate the last video game you completed.

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future - 9.5/10

835 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Bully, Wii Edition - 8.5/10

Pretty solid. I would definitely recommend the Wii version above other versions because the motion controls are utilized, such as in Biology class where you dissect animals in a Trauma Center-like manner. The classes are fun for a while, as are many of the other side missions and collectibles. However, as with most open-world games, I eventually get tired of that stuff and just want to get to the end of the story.

The changing of seasons is really cool. I loved when the Halloween decorations went up, then snow and Christmas, then the spring. It reminded me a lot of Harry Potter actually in that it's a full school year at a boarding school with classes etc. If you like those aspects of Harry Potter you might like this. It also reminded me of Back to the Future at times.

• .hack//outbreak

great game, great story, somewhat repetitive, but otherwise a great game ^_^ Looking foreward to starting .hack//quarantine within the next few days =D

• @Hayden said: It could have been a heck of a lot worse too. For an indie adventure game, I was fairly impressed with the voice-acting, overall. The voice acting in some low-budget games can be absolutely disastrous, so the fact that 'Jolly Rover' managed to avoid having terrible voice over - that's a positive.

Oh yeah, I know. I really liked the game and I'll be checking out other Brawsome stuff, I just felt I needed to justify the 7/10.

• @Hayden said: It could have been a heck of a lot worse too. For an indie adventure game, I was fairly impressed with the voice-acting, overall. The voice acting in some low-budget games can be absolutely disastrous, so the fact that 'Jolly Rover' managed to avoid having terrible voice over - that's a positive.

You're only sticking up for your fellow countrymen, next you'll be telling me that Men at Work really were one of the most important bands of the 80's

• Mass Effect for PC from Steam.

8.7/10

Pros
    Solid gameplay and combat interface
    Fantastic voiceover work (bar none, it's excellent)
    Highly customizable main character appearance and combat abilities
    Unlockable achievements promoting multiple playthroughs
    Story-affecting dialogue decisions
    Quick-Save option makes manually saving progress near effortless

Cons
    Minor glitches (apparently fewer than on 360)
    Repetitive appearance to sidequest areas

• Faery: Legends of Avalon on XBox Live Arcade

6/10

Faery is a JRPG-style game where you play a fairy sent out by your king to determine what's causing all the magic in the world to disappear.

Pros:
    -JRPGs aren't so prevalent anymore. This one isn't Japanese, but it's gameplay is similar enough that I enjoyed it just for that factor.
    -You're tiny. Sometimes this makes for weird, interesting events... like there's a boss battle in the game versus a seagull.
    -Interesting world. Basically, you're on Earth. But Man doesn't believe in the Faery people anymore, and the Faery kingdoms are disappearing.

Cons:
    -Since you're a fairy, you fly everywhere. You can go in any direction. Sounds neat in theory, pretty lame in execution. The tree area in particular makes it hard to find ANYTHING that's up in the branches.
    -Easy. There's no challenge. I think I had to actively try to heal myself on like three fights in the entire game.
    -Writing/translation. While the premise starts out interesting, you quickly learn it's not going anywhere cool. There's no noticeable plot, you just go from place to place doing whatever anyone tells you. And what they tell you to do is often riddled with spelling errors, grammatical errors--it's bad at times. And sometimes you just get new quest goals without anyone telling you why.
    -Short. I finished it in two days. I guess this might be a blessing in some ways, since if it was any real length I doubt I could bring myself to slog through the whole thing.
    -Equipment. You get new weapons and armor throughout the game, but they don't seem to make much of a noticeable difference. There are four worlds in the game, and by about halfway through the second one I had pretty much stopped bothering to look at any of the stuff I found.

Not a horrible game, but definitely not one I'd really recommend to anyone either. I bought it when XBLA had it on sale for 50% a while back and just played through it now--if I'd paid the full $10, I'd be bummed.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@Scnew said: Faery: Legends of Avalon on XBox Live Arcade

6/10

-REVIEW-

Thanks for that. I'd played the demo and wondered what the full game was like. Glad to know I didn't miss much.

Uh... can I review Streets of Rage 2 again? Just played through it on Hardcore difficulty settings for an achievement and my god! I've not sworn that much in a good long while. So hard...

• Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood [360] - 8/10

Despite the repetitive nature of being Ezio again in Renaissance Italy, there were enough changes in the game play to stop that from being a major factor in my enjoyment of the game. As for the story, well if there's one thing these guys know what to do then it's how to write a compelling cliff hanger as yet again I'm blown away by the ending. At least I had prior knowledge of the sequel's existence as fact when hitting the end of this game rather than just guessing (educated guessing though I would imagine) and/or hoping that it would be the case. Bring on Revelations.

• @JedExodus said: You're only sticking up for your fellow countrymen, next you'll be telling me that Men at Work really were one of the most important bands of the 80's

Haha! Oh believe me, those words will never come out of my mouth.

• Wallace & Gromit: Muzzled - 7.0/10

Not bad. The graphics were the best I've seen from Telltale, the reason being that the claymation style is well suited to Telltale's engine (in the same way, I think Pixar's Cars looks better than say The Incredibles because cars are significantly easier to render than humans). The environments were nice, especially the fair and its centerpiece. The puzzles weren't hard, but satisfying enough.

What grated on me was the dialogue. Too much of it (as is my complaint with most Telltale games). I want to be exploring and solving things, not clicking on people and watching a back-and-forth conversation for a minute each time. With shorter dialogue I give this at least an 8.

Add Comment