User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 126.6K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think people are putting themselves in the position of being aware of such an operation done on them, but either unable to prevent it from happening, or having to refrain from normal activity such as blinking for fear of it being a recipe for disaster (won't elaborate on the scenarios).

People in general are easily disturbed as far as eyes are concerned, I've noticed. I didn't find it gross or terrifying, personally, more interested. I'd think it would be a pain for them to work while you're blinking/moving your eye, and a pain for you to stop yourself from doing either. How does that work?

• I've been lucky enough to not need any surgeries at all in my almost 19 years. Not even for my 4 wisdom teeth.

That probably plays a part in why I find them squicky.

• User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

@Avistew said: I think people are putting themselves in the position of being aware of such an operation done on them, but either unable to prevent it from happening, or having to refrain from normal activity such as blinking for fear of it being a recipe for disaster (won't elaborate on the scenarios).

People in general are easily disturbed as far as eyes are concerned, I've noticed. I didn't find it gross or terrifying, personally, more interested. I'd think it would be a pain for them to work while you're blinking/moving your eye, and a pain for you to stop yourself from doing either. How does that work?

The first (major) part when they insert the sutures and strings I'll be under anesthesia. In the afternoon, after the recovery period, they'll adjust them, and I can actually blink during that part. Then they cut off the visible part of the strings, and the part in my eyes will be broken down over the course of a few weeks by my white blood cells while keeping the muscles in their new positions.

• Must admit that I am quite squeamish when it comes to eyes which is why I'll never wear contact lenses.

• i wear contacts. They aren't all that bad

• @divisionten said: The first (major) part when they insert the sutures and strings I'll be under anesthesia. In the afternoon, after the recovery period, they'll adjust them, and I can actually blink during that part. Then they cut off the visible part of the strings, and the part in my eyes will be broken down over the course of a few weeks by my white blood cells while keeping the muscles in their new positions.

As someone who has a phobia regarding punctured eyes, I almost puked when reading this. The shakes didn't last as long as I expected though. Thanks for that. I hope you feel terrible.

• User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

I... I don't know what to say. I'm really, truly sorry Fawful.

• I had eye surgery when I was 4. Epic lazy eye, paired with being nearsighted. Still had the lazy eye after that, it was slowly correcting it. Fully went away around 2 years ago. Still nearsighted though. I can see pretty well without my glasses, but I have problem with writing and anything on a computer screen.

• @divisionten said: I... I don't know what to say. I'm really, truly sorry Fawful.

Oh, I didn't actually expect you to feel bad, I expected you to reply with the obvious. You know, how it's not really your fault I'm stupid enough to read something that will make my phobia act up, and how you weren't the one who gave me the phobia in the first place.

SGgaD.pngIT WAS GOD.

((cue Symphony No. 25 in G minor))

EDIT: On second thought, it was your fault for posting something that I could read that would make my phobia act up. In fact, it seems just a little too convenient. Typical dastardly womanly action.

• Osama bin Laden was shot in the left eye, and they won't release the pictures.

edit: the gooey, gory eyeball-less pictures.

(Sorry Fawful, I just felt obligated to goad you a bit :D)

edit again: why is it that every other time I think of Secret Fawful, I think of the anagram Walrus Effect and then a big fat smiley walrus?

This discussion has been closed.