User Avatar Image

Dear telltale and community we want (SPOILER)

posted by aerbil on - last edited - Viewed by 464 users

Dear Telltale games,community

First I want to start by saying S&M was an awesome game so thx to telltale. I also want to thank the community by giving morale to the fans that couldnt wait for the game to comeout. There was only one problem. Our furry little friend had died at the ending of the season. I made this letter to warn telltale games that some ppl and I want Max back in season4. The real Max. So community its your job to spread this out so plz help to spread tnis out.(no rude or hurtful comments)

By aerbil

33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Jake said: "Hey Max, remember that time when you died and then came back in a time machine?"
    "No"

Done.

Okay, I'll comment on the issue once more. ONCE. ;)

Eight months after first experiencing the final scene of "The Devil's playhouse", I can say that my perspective has shifted a little. I was furious about the ending then - but not because I thought that this madness wasn't along the spirit of Steve Purcell's Sam & Max. And thinking back hard, it probably wasn't even because it broke the spirit of the game series. However, it did break the spirit of the "Devil's Playhouse" specifically.

TTG was striving hard to give us a continuous/meaningful storyline back then, memorable characters with some kind of a backstory and shocking events with lasting effects that were supposed to move you emotionally. I can see now that this was alien to Steve Purcell's comics, where nothing happens to our heroes that isn't rectified in three pages' time and Deus Ex Machina always saves the day.

Max died and came back lots of times, but that wasn't the issue here. The way this happened was very much like Purcell's comics, very much in the spirit of Sam & Max, where the events of yesterday never have any consequences and are thus entirely irrelevant. Sam and Max are invincible by Purcell's command, but after a whole season of showing them vulnerable and in dire distress, I could not accept that all their pain was worth nothing.

The rising protest after the ending was proof that TTG had made a joke at their own expense. All that painful work to make the story emotional and meaningful, then ridiculing their own work by declaring it entirely meaningless to the protagonists. That's the difference between what I thought back then and what I think now; maybe it WAS a brave thing to do. But that doesn't mean I have to like it.

• In the larger scheme of things, BOTH of them are the Real Max. They aren't different dimension Max like Silver Age Bizarro Superman. They are products of a inconceivable union of devilry and mad science.

• "We're sam and max fans"

"You should have left max dead"

I just realised that's essentially what I believe :p

• @Vainamoinen said: Okay, I'll comment on the issue once more. ONCE. ;)

Eight months after first experiencing the final scene of "The Devil's playhouse", I can say that my perspective has shifted a little. I was furious about the ending then - but not because I thought that this madness wasn't along the spirit of Steve Purcell's Sam & Max. And thinking back hard, it probably wasn't even because it broke the spirit of the game series. However, it did break the spirit of the "Devil's Playhouse" specifically.

TTG was striving hard to give us a continuous/meaningful storyline back then, memorable characters with some kind of a backstory and shocking events with lasting effects that were supposed to move you emotionally. I can see now that this was alien to Steve Purcell's comics, where nothing happens to our heroes that isn't rectified in three pages' time and Deus Ex Machina always saves the day.

Max died and came back lots of times, but that wasn't the issue here. The way this happened was very much like Purcell's comics, very much in the spirit of Sam & Max, where the events of yesterday never have any consequences and are thus entirely irrelevant. Sam and Max are invincible by Purcell's command, but after a whole season of showing them vulnerable and in dire distress, I could not accept that all their pain was worth nothing.

The rising protest after the ending was proof that TTG had made a joke at their own expense. All that painful work to make the story emotional and meaningful, then ridiculing their own work by declaring it entirely meaningless to the protagonists. That's the difference between what I thought back then and what I think now; maybe it WAS a brave thing to do. But that doesn't mean I have to like it.

As much as this issues is so being hotly debated in the forums, while I do have my own opinions on Max's death, you strike a lot of valid points here. When I heard Max had died, I was shocked true. I think Telltale was doing that to create a more deeper, emotional story and did a great job of doing so, which I deeply admire. While the ending has been criticized, I think what they did was a good leap into a more darker, realistic world of Sam and Max. Of course, I can't say for sure whether I want this darker side of Sam and Max, but it is interesting to introduce into the plot. :>

• I'm not sure if I agree with "meaningless". After all, at the end of the season Sam and Max DO save the entire city and the world. Max just happened to sacrifice himself in the process.

• User Avatar Image
    Fly

The more people complain about the ending of 305, the more I desperately want Telltale to bring back the Max who died in Season 4, just to have the current Max kill him in a horrible way five seconds later.

• @Fly said: The more people complain about the ending of 305, the more I desperately want Telltale to bring back the Max who died in Season 4, just to have the current Max kill him in a horrible way five seconds later.

This needs to happen.

• My perspective hasn't changed since I posted this 8 months ago:
    @thom-22 said: Sam will bring the new (old) Max up to speed on the things he missed, and we'll never know the difference.

Except now I like this better:
    @thom-22 said: "Hey Max, remember that time when you died and then came back in a time machine?"
    "No"

Done.

LOL!

• I think it might go something like:

Max: "It's too bad I don't have any unexplainable physic powers again to thwart these goons until they run out of blood!"
    Sam: "But Max, didn't having those physic powers cause you to... you know... explode in a fiery ball of destruction that caused over 19 million dollars in property damage and years of emotional trauma that will haunt the dreams of every New York citizen for the next twenty years?"
    Max: "I don't remember that, but it sounds like me."

• And while you're at it, make South Park bring back the original Kenny! The show has suffered terribly with all these other Kenny's that are clearly not the real Kenny because he died. And I don't understand why Frylock isn't aware that he's living with an imposter after Master Shake died in a few episodes of Aqua Teen Hunger Force. I CALL FOUL!

Seriously dude, Max is Max. Why worry about it? It's not like he's going to be any different. If a different Max had died, and "the real Max" had been the one to show up in an alternate Sam's life, he wouldn't have responded any differently then this Max did. You are taking one of the silliest game franchises around way too seriously.

Add Comment