User Avatar Image

How many continents have you been to?

posted by apenpaap on - last edited - Viewed by 270 users

Though I travel quite a lot, I don't travel very far and have never left Europe, though I'm planning to visit all seven continents some day. I'm wondering how my fellow Telltale-ites compare. So how many continents have you been to?
Please select the number of continents you've been to in the first part of the poll and select all that you've been to in the second part. DON'T pick more than one option in the first part of the poll, or I will pee on your favourite animal.

27 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @DAISHI said: Australia and Antarctica are their own continents according to U.S. classification. There are 7 continents under the U.S. system.

That's what I thought. It seems I misead Daishii's comment. I thought he was saying "There are 5 continents: Specifically..."
    My bad.

• Haha no under the U.S. System there are seven though this is different elsewhere as made clear in this thread.

Does anyone know of places that use something different from the 5 or 7 continent systems? Perhaps four?

• User Avatar Image
    Tor

@DAISHI said: Does anyone know of places that use something different from the 5 or 7 continent systems? Perhaps four?

I found this graphic quite interesting, it's an animated gif showing different continental models with 4-7 continents.

From what I gather you might use different models depending on your field of study. E.g. in geography it may make sense to count Europe and Asia as one continent (Eurasia) because they are one continuous landmass. Or in some contexts you might not count Antarctica at all because it is uninhabited.

• @Tor said: I found this graphic quite interesting, it's an animated gif showing different continental models with 4-7 continents.

From what I gather you might use different models depending on your field of study. E.g. in geography it may make sense to count Europe and Asia as one continent (Eurasia) because they are one continuous landmass. Or in some contexts you might not count Antarctica at all because it is uninhabited.

I thought I remembered a 4 continent model from my brief time teaching geography. Thanks!

• Never been outside of Europe. I want to travel around more someday, when I've got more time (and money) on my hands.

• I've been to North America, Europe, and Africa... in fact I was born in South Africa and ended up visiting around 14 different countries before the age of 4 when we returned to the US to live permanently ^_^

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Michael J Fox is Canadian said: Do people actually go to antartica?

Sure, although it's not cheap. Most trips I've seen are cruises that depart from Cape Horn or the southern part of New Zealand.

• In Spain, the classical five continents (when I was a boy and studied them at school) were:
    Europe, Asia, America, Africa and Oceania (what you call "Australia", but for us Australia is just the country). Since Antarctica is not "really" inhabited (only research outpost and such), it wasn't considered a continent till a few years ago.
    I think that children at school today learn the continents as:
    Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania, North America, South America and Antarctica
    That makes seven continents.
    But some people would even say they're actually nine: the previous seven, and Central America and Greenland as their own continents.

• I've been to 4; Europe (I live there), Australia, Asia and North America.

Also Greenland is definitely not a continent and I've never heard of Central America being counted as a continent either.
    And Oceania is the proper name of its continent. Australia is the country, Oceania includes all the countries in that region (Australia, NZ, Indonesia, Vanuatu, Papua New-Guinea etc)

Add Comment