User Avatar Image

Which is the best Monkey Island game so far?

posted by presidentmax on - last edited - Viewed by 2.8K users

Since Tales of Monkey Island is now complete and can be viewed as a full 5th game i was curious what everyones opinion is on their favourite monkey island game so far?

86 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Voted for LeChuck's Revenge, but I'm pretty amazed how few votes Secret of Monkey Island got.

• The oldies are going to vote for LeChuck's Revenge. Noobs are going to vote for CMI. Hence the low SOMI score. If you're old enough to have played MI1 or 2 on release, there's a good chance one of those will be your favourite. If you started the game out with CMI, theres a good chance that will be your favourite.

• I played them all in the order of release and CoMI is still my favorite... so i disagree with your statement StarEye.

• You are 1 person, there are always exceptions. I still believe that the majority will fall under my theory.

• @StarEye said: You are 1 person, there are always exceptions. I still believe that the majority will fall under my theory.

I started playing with MI2, and I put Tales as my fav. It's opinion dude. lol, I find it funny that you refer to the people who start with CMI and have there fore been playing MI for 14 years, as noobs. Seriously dude? As MI fans the truth is, even people that started on EMI are pretty much experts on the series now.

• Yh with the long absence between EMI and Tales everyone's pretty much managed to play them all over and over. The only "noobs" are probably people who started on TMI but with the SE's its easyer to catch up.

• @coolsome said: Yh with the long absence between EMI and Tales everyone's pretty much managed to play them all over and over. The only "noobs" are probably people who started on TMI but with the SE's its easyer to catch up.

True, there's not really many 'noobs' any more. I played MI2 in 96, so I've been playing for 15 years now (NOOO!!!! I'M OLD!) but by Stareyes definition of a noob, I'd still be a noob as I didn't play MI2 the year it came out and didn't start with MI1.

The way I see it, people are entitled to think what they want, so who cares if someone thinks EMI is the best? Sure I personally don't agree, but that doesn't mean EMI shouldn't be their favourite.

• I never intended "noob" as some kind of insult (more of a tongue-in-cheek), just that I would divide Monkey Islands fans into (at least) two catagories. Those that have been one since the beginning of the franchise, and those who are introduced later, which would often be CMI because it was around that time when gaming seriously hit massmarket (thanks to the success of the Sony Playstation).

Maybe if people would stop reading on forums with such a defensive stance and cynicism, they wouldn't feel so offended by non-offensive posts. I had no agenda with my post, only throwing out a theory that I still holds some water. I never said falling into either of the catagories was right or wrong. I never said "you started playing MI long after I did, you dumb noob, lol, your opinion doesn't count!", or anything like that.

God, I hate the internet.

/facepalm

• @StarEye said: I never intended "noob" as some kind of insult (more of a tongue-in-cheek), just that I would divide Monkey Islands fans into (at least) two catagories. Those that have been one since the beginning of the franchise, and those who are introduced later, which would often be CMI because it was around that time when gaming seriously hit massmarket (thanks to the success of the Sony Playstation).

Maybe if people would stop reading on forums with such a defensive stance and cynicism, they wouldn't feel so offended by non-offensive posts. I had no agenda with my post, only throwing out a theory that I still holds some water. I never said falling into either of the catagories was right or wrong. I never said "you started playing MI long after I did, you dumb noob, lol, your opinion doesn't count!", or anything like that.

God, I hate the internet.

/facepalm

Considering the term 'noob' is an offensive term, I think we had a right to be defensive. Would you walk up to a black man call him the N word and then be surprised when he was offended? Or even walk up to him and casually throw the word out while talking to him and think that it's OK as it wasn't directed at him? No. While noob isn't anywhere near on that scale, it's the same basic principle. If you don't want people to be offended by posts don't include offensive terms in your post with no context (or even the context that everyone who started MI after you is a noob, which is how your post came across) and then act like you've been wronged when people react to it.

Partial intolerance is as bad, if not worse, then out and out hate, you might want to remember that.

• I played Grim Fandango first, then Curse, Escape, Secret and finally Revenge. I think Escape is better in every way, best jokes, best soundtrack, best puzzles, best backgrounds etc. I still love the others, though.

Add Comment