User Avatar Image

Old monkey island games before tales?

posted by ZerosTheWizard on - last edited - Viewed by 923 users

Hi everyone, i tried to search if this had already been asked, but this forums search gives me a headache >< so i browsed a bit and didnt see anything, anyway..

This is probably pretty obvious, but about how important is it to play the older monkey island games before playing tales?

I recently tried the tales demo and I really liked it and was thinking of buying it, but then i realized i should probably play the others first, so i just wanted to know if it was all that important, are they best played in order or do they each stand alone as their game/story?

Secret of MI and MI2 look fairly easy to get if so, but curse and escape look kind of expensive to get >< would skipping those two matter too much?

36 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @thin029 said: Play Escape first, it's the best one

I got a ps2 memory card just to replay escape cos I missed it so much :D true story.

• The only think I found annoying about Escape from Monkey Island, was the Monkey Combat. Apart from that, I loved it.

• I think Curse's swordfighting is as annoying as Monkey Combat. Except the Monkey Combat ending was brilliant. By the way coolsome, where you here when Tales was released? I don't remember anyone not trying to kill me because of my love for Escape.

• @thin029 said: I think Curse's swordfighting is as annoying as Monkey Combat. Except the Monkey Combat ending was brilliant. By the way coolsome, where you here when Tales was released? I don't remember anyone not trying to kill me because of my love for Escape.

I was but I love Escape so I wouldn't have flamed you. Although I did not like Monkey Kombat and thats one of the things I don't like about the game but apart from that I rly enjoy playing it.

• @thin029 said: I think Curse's swordfighting is as annoying as Monkey Combat.

Really? In Monkey Combat, you have to take notes in order to proceed. In Curse's swordfighting, you just pick the insult that makes sense in context.

• Yeah, but you gotta go back and upgrade the cannons everytime you win a battle. And there's the totally boring boat fight before every swordfight. And Monkey Combat actually has a meaning, you even beat the final boss with that. (kinda)

• @thin029 said: Yeah, but you gotta go back and upgrade the cannons everytime you win a battle. And there's the totally boring boat fight before every swordfight. And Monkey Combat actually has a meaning, you even beat the final boss with that. (kinda)

You can always cheat on the boat fight:P

• @thin029 said: Yeah, but you gotta go back and upgrade the cannons everytime you win a battle. And there's the totally boring boat fight before every swordfight. And Monkey Combat actually has a meaning, you even beat the final boss with that. (kinda)

You can use the cheat for the boat fights, or you can just use the wimpy cannons to beat everyone. I did that on my first run through, not realising I could buy new cannons or use a cheat, lol.

• Yeah, I didn't like the boat fights either, and didn't realize that I could upgrade my cannons until I only had Rottingham left... The actual sword fighting was awesome, though.

• Boat fighting was originally created for the first game (SoMI), but according to Tim Schafer, who created that element, it was just too awesome for a game like that. :P

Add Comment