User Avatar Image

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 40.7K users

So, Christmas is approaching, and with it a brand new Doctor who episode, and seeing as it's no longer series 5, I thought it would be time for a new, more generalised Doctor who thread!

For those who are new to the series, It features a humanoid Alien (timelord) called the Doctor, who travels in time and space in the TARDIS. He's the last of his race, and when he dies, he regenerates into a new person (up to 13 times). So far he has done so 11 times, with the current, 11th doctor being Matt Smith.
the11doctors.png

To kick things off, here's a trailer for the new Doctor who ipod/iphone/ipad/android game: The mazes of time!

4.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Ribs said: Too much time a day is the answer then.

Yeah...I also only watched Doctor Who while I was doing organic chemistry or calculus. What does THAT say about me?

• So I'm not exactly hopeful that any of the things I was planning to go on sale are going on sale for BF Day, and have restructured my list to include just main range 1-50 so I can clean house for most of Eight/Charley and Six/Evelyn with releases 6, 9, 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 40, 43, 47, 48, 49, 50. I may choose to axe two of those off in case somethign I was looking forward to does go ons ale the day itself, and if any of those are in the monthly sale I can hold off and buy something not in the daily one (because that'd be silly). Overall, that's 35 hours of content, and only one am I not looking forward to (ZAGREEEEUUUUS! *shakes fist*). Oh well, neccesary evil and all that. I also am thinking of picking up a 6-release sub at the end of the month starting with the Key 2 Time Part 2, as that includes the first half of the excellent seven/ace/hex trilogies in addition to the McGann anthology 'The Company of Friends' (which I'd hold out on buying as they'll probably have some sale on it in the fall due to Mary Shelley's role coming back in October, but SCRIPTS :D) and then pick up the first bit of the Key 2 Time on it's own because wobbuffet and I definately would not want to start an arc that is heavily interconnected 1/3 of the way in.

• @Alcoremortis said: How many episodes would you have to watch per day to finish in three months, watching the four new series season about three times?

Cause...that's sorta what I did.

Let's see... 3 months is about 90 days. So we just need to calculate how many stories you've watched in total and divide that by the number of days to figure out how many per day.

So. At present, we're at 217 stories (For the record, that's going on the assumption that Planet of the Dead is story number 200).

Each of the new series has 11 individual stories, counting the Christmas one. If you've watched four of those sets of 11 stories, then we need to add 44 for each additional time you've watched them. You say you've seen them three times, so that's an additional 88 (since the original 44 is in the original story count).

So 217, plus 88, equals 305. Now, how many times does 90 fit into that?

3.388 recurring.

So, rounding off for sake of convenience, you need to have watched around 3½ full stories a day to have watched the number you claim to have done in 3 months.

As for individual episodes? I believe someone mentioned there are 777 at present. Each modern series has 14 episodes, so times that by 8 to reach the number of rewatched episodes - 112. Added together, the total number of episodes watched is 889, which is so near 900 it makes the rest simple.

So basically, 10 episodes a day, with each Sunday letting you only watch 9.

...I can't sleep. Sue me.

• studio10_b.jpg
    So there's a new somewhat-non-canon series of Audios featuring the Minister of Chance (a character from the non-canon Death comes to Times) featuring Paul McGann (not as the doctor) and Sylvestor McCoy (not as the Doctor either, but as a bad guy!). They're only £1.29 or $1.99 off iTunes (just search 'The Minister of Chance') and the prologue is available as a free podcast.

• you know what I love about dr. who, No matter what tame period, or what planet they go to, the people always speak perfect english, with a brittish accent... even marco polo who was italian lolol

on a side note, can anyone tell me how long Barbera, Ian, and susan are in the show? and were they originally intended to be perminent characters, or was it always intended to replace them with other companions after awile?

• @dumpling321 said: you know what I love about dr. who, No matter what tame period, or what planet they go to, the people always speak perfect english, with a brittish accent... even marco polo who was italian lolol

on a side note, can anyone tell me how long Barbera, Ian, and susan are in the show? and were they originally intended to be perminent characters, or was it always intended to replace them with other companions after awile?

Susan left in the second story of the second series, the other two hung around for a bit longer. I don't think anybody planned to replace them at the beginning.... nobody expected the show to go on for more than a dozen episodes.

(Anyway... no matter where people on Star Trek go, they always seem to meet Americans. And wherever people go on Stargate, there're always a lot of pine trees around, which must be annoying, since that's what their home base looks like!)

• @FitzoliverJ said: Susan left in the second story of the second series, the other two hung around for a bit longer. I don't think anybody planned to replace them at the beginning.... nobody expected the show to go on for more than a dozen episodes.

(Anyway... no matter where people on Star Trek go, they always seem to meet Americans. And wherever people go on Stargate, there're always a lot of pine trees around, which must be annoying, since that's what their home base looks like!)

IKR! It's one of my major pet peeves with sci-fi programs, and so easy to fix, if the main characters would let it slip into regular conversation that they have some sort of universal translator or something it wouldn't be that big of an issue...

• @dumpling321 said: IKR! It's one of my major pet peeves with sci-fi programs, and so easy to fix, if the main characters would let it slip into regular conversation that they have some sort of universal translator or something it wouldn't be that big of an issue...

Tah-dah!
    Still, a little odd that it took 40 years or so for them to explain it!
    Also, see if you can spot Karen Gillan (Amy, the current assistant).

• In Doctor Who they have the TARDIS translating (which they didn't bother explaining because nobody really cared). In Star Trek they do, in fact, have a universal translator, though it's not exactly 100% reliable. In Farscape, they had translator microbes. Wikipedia has a few more examples.

In Stargate, the producers freely admit that aliens tend to speak English to avoid spending 10 minutes an episode overcoming the language barrier.

I agree it can be a little silly at times, but that's what suspension of disbelief is for.

• Beat you to it with a visual aid! Yay! :p
    Well, actually you went into other sci-fi, so I'll let you off. In fact, just ignore this post. It smells of onions.

Add Comment