User Avatar Image

New Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy-game by Hothead Games

posted by Tjibbbe on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

Hothead just announced a new game based on Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. They set up a small teaser site (is that the voice of the original Arthur Dent, Simon Jones?): http://www.thenewhitchhikersguide.com/. Not much is known about the title just yet, but with E3 so close it wouldn't surprise me if more information is coming very soon.

On the one hand I'm very happy that there's a new Hitchhikers game, but I'm not sure if Hothead is the right company for it. What a Hitchhikers game needs, above all, is extremely good writing. I'm not sure if Hothead has writers that can come near Douglas Adams's level. Their games are pretty fun, but the writing (I guess I can only look at Deathspank, because every word of the Penny Arcade games was written by Jerry Holkins) is, in my opinion, pretty bad. And even if you enjoy Deathspank's humor, it's nothing like the kind of comedy you'll find in the Hitchhiker radio plays/books.

Anyway, maybe I'm being too pessimistic. I'm happy that this game is coming out at all, so let's stay positive for now.

Oh, and if someone from Telltale is reading this: get the Discworld license before Hothead gets their hands on it. Terry is still alive, and there are more movies and a television series coming soon, so get it before the rest of the videogame world realises what a perfect franchise it is.

79 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

I've not played anything from Hothead, so I'll remain cautiously optimistic (optimistically sceptical?) until we get to see more.

@Rather Dashing said: Hithchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Starship Titanic are among my favorite games of all time.

I'm curious, what did you particularly like about Starship Titanic? I never quite managed to get into it.

@Rather Dashing said: Douglas was always at his best on the radio or on paper (it's a terrible shame he couldn't join Stephen Fry on the television sequel to their 'Last Chance to See'-radio show, probably the best thing he ever created).

"Last Chance to See" (the original) is a fantastic read too.

• @puzzlebox said: I'm curious, what did you particularly like about Starship Titanic? I never quite managed to get into it.

To be honest?

It's the parser. A parser with 12 hours of recorded responses. I have....something of a bias towards text parsers that nobody else seems to share.

• @puzzlebox said:
    "Last Chance to See" (the original) is a fantastic read too.

Seconded, I think the Kakapo is my favourite animal in the whole world.

• The Hitchhiker's text adventure was/is one of a kind. If I had to pick my favorite Hitchhiker's experience though it would have to be the BBC radio/tv series by far. Adams' later novels were a little underwhelming for me so I don't necessarily believe he holds the ultimate say-so for the future of Hitchhiker's Guide. The movie was silly and really didn't touch the awesomeness of the original material but I still had fun watching it with low expectations. Actually it had some funny takes on some things (Deep Thought being bored and watching cartoons comes to mind)

• Doug actually considered the books to be the definitive version of H2G2 and while I own every version of Hitchhikers available I have to agree with him, the books are the best.

The radio series is very good though.

• I've enjoyed both Penny Arcade Adventures and DeathSpank so far, but then those had Penny Arcade and Ron Gilbert behind them, respectively. Whether Hothead is worthwhile without someone awesome writing it will have to see.

• The crowd cheers wildly! They think you're terrific!

Sorry, just had to post that. I actually have some doubts about this new game concept, but "We'll see."

I bought "And Another Thing..." for some ridiculously cheap price when the local bookstore realized they ordered way too many of them for the actual demand. Still haven't read it, though. There are a lot of things ahead of it in the priority list.

• I made a point to watch the movie before I read the books, and I'm glad I did, because it gave me a chance to enjoy the movie. Once I read the books, of course, I became aware of the huge difference in joke density, and the movie suddenly seems rather drab and boring particularly in the middle chunk on the Vogon planet... I still would have liked them to continue the film series with the same cast (though perhaps some different writers) because I did feel like they got all the personalities across rather brilliantly.

I've only played the very beginning of the demo of Deathspank, and nothing about it has seemed funny enough to encourage me to buy it... I don't instantly trust Hothead to make this game well, but I'll wait and see what kind of gameplay and what kind of storytelling that they're going to put into it. The one thing they have going for them is that the Hitchhiker's Guide story has already established a precedent for retellings, so they don't have to do an all-new story, just reuse the existing stories and change details around so they the game and feel fresh. I feel like, in principle, it could certainly go well. It could also go poorly. We'll see.

And another thing, "And Another Thing..." was pretty disappointing. There was a long time between reading the first five books and reading this one, so I can't totally say that the tone isn't accurate, but it really just felt totally out of sync with the rest of the series.

• To summarise: Long time H2G2 fan (since I was a kid), loved the books, radio series, TV series. Consumed everything possible by DNA throughout the 90s and early 00s. Thought Starship Titanic was OK, but difficult to complete without a walkthrough, only ever finished the Infocom H2G2 game with a walkthrough, thought the 2005 Movie had the details right but the big picture was lacking a lot, and many many missed opportunities for great jokes from the original source. Never read 'And Another Thing...' because it kind of feels like a betrayal to do so. Thought the 'Dirk Gently' tv pilot showed promise, although it was very different from the books, I still thought it might work. Am kind of ambivalent about a new game too.

Purpose number 2 for this post: If you want to play the original Infocom H2G2 game (now with graphics!) visit http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game.shtml - two different sets of visuals to choose from!

And yeah, you'll probably need to google a walkthrough too :)

• @Molokov said: Thought the 'Dirk Gently' tv pilot showed promise, although it was very different from the books.

Oh wow, you saw that too? I enjoyed it, although I haven't read the book. Mind you, I'm a big "Green Wing" fan and as such I am highly susceptible to the charms of Stephen Mangan. Do you have any other Douglas Adam adaptation recommendations?

Add Comment