User Avatar Image

Series that should be revived, continued, left in the dust, or stopped immediately

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

The title really says/asks it all - which franchises or series are worthy of being continued or revived, which should be left dead, and which should be abandoned/halted/put out of their misery?

Now, when it comes to series you would like to see brought back or revived, this isn't your chance to simply rattle of as many old series and franchises that you just so happen to like. Actually consider if a comeback is possible, required or a sensible move - would it actually turn out positive?

As for series that you want continued, this may include series and franchises that are either: a) still in production, or b) have been gone for a short while, but have not been confirmed to actually be dead or officially ended (like 'Monkey Island' in its current position, I guess).

Series that you think should be left in the dust are series that either turned horrible, or just were horrible, that should never ever see the light of day again. Edit: Or, of course, it can just mean a series that was good, is now gone, and should be left untouched and untarnished in order to preserve something good/great.

And series which you think should be halted or stopped are series that that are currently running, or have the potential of having further installments, which need to be put out of their misery before they can do any more harm to our world.

157 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @doodo! said: Revive:Dragon's Lair

How hasn't any one touched this yet? I see it on PS3 Network , and else where. But, how a remake hasn't been considered is beyond me. A remake would likely be much easier and maybe even in a slightly different format, but a game like this could benefit from modern technology and a company with vision to create a new engine that could be used for other titles in the future.

Nobody wants to touch Don Bluth nowadays. He's been trying to get a Dragon's Lair film made for years and nothing has happened. Anywho.

REVIVE!

Call of Cthulhu
    Gex
    Clock Tower
    Psychonauts
    Bone
    Leisure Suit Larry
    Gabriel Knight
    Phantasmagoria (go Japanese with the third one to be all hip)
    Maniac Mansion
    Gold Rush
    Laura Bow
    Space Quest
    Super Mario RPG (with modern 3D graphics)
    Starfox Adventures
    Luigi's Mansion
    Commander Keen
    Comix Zone
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Arcane
    Simon the Sorcerer

CONTINUE!

Monkey Island
    Puzzle Agent
    Sam and Max
    (------) no Naku Koro ni
    Strong Bad
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Mario and Luigi
    Paper Mario
    Megaman Legends
    Kid Icarus
    Syberia
    Wolfenstein
    Silent Hill
    Bayonetta
    Cauchemar les Aventures
    Half-Life
    Castlevania
    YS
    More by Frictional Games
    Indiana Jones
    Deathspank

LEAVE IN THE DUST!

Call of Duty
    Anything by Derek Yu
    Anything by Cactus

• @Jenny said: Why are America's youth, so insecure? Hmm....

My theories of humanity have went bat shit, it actually takes 10 minutes to make a real response. Because there is just so much to tie together to make a point:p

I try to stay away from politics and military issues, but every once in a while I make a small , small ripple. I'd never cannon ball into either subject full force, because once I start down, I create huge waves and later catch a surf over the sharks.

Stop

Doodo's series of philosophy on TTG...wait, that already happened, more or less.

• @Secret Fawful said:

REVIVE!

Call of Cthulhu

YES! Man, I love that game! It's in my top ten "MUST PLAY before you die" - list!

I was so bummed when I heard they canceled the sequel.

I could ramble about this game for hours!

• Also, Call of Duty is a perfectly acceptable series most of the time. (ie, when it's developed by Infinity Ward or is subtitled 'World at War'). The point is to not take it seriously, as there is obviously next to no chance of Russia launching nuclear war on the United States by nuking Washington DC.

• I thought I gave a beautiful description what happened to Final Fantasy, no one said anything. Shucks...Dog nab it! Diggity Dang Doo Scooby scooby doo!

• *reads FF description*

*looks at doodo*

*looks at description again*

*back at doodo*

Ummm... what's Final Fantasy?

:p kidding. Although I never liked turn based strategy games, I always liked the way these games presented themselves.
    So, I agree... continuing, no. Reviving, yeah. And make them for PC already!

• @Ribs said: Also, Call of Duty is a perfectly acceptable series most of the time. (ie, when it's developed by Infinity Ward or is subtitled 'World at War'). The point is to not take it seriously, as there is obviously next to no chance of Russia launching nuclear war on the United States by nuking Washington DC.

I seriously don't think there is anything we can agree on.

• @Silverwolfpet said: *reads FF description*

*looks at doodo*

*looks at description again*

*back at doodo*

Ummm... what's Final Fantasy?

:p kidding. Although I never liked turn based strategy games, I always liked the way these games presented themselves.
    So, I agree... continuing, no. Reviving, yeah. And make them for PC already!

(Christopher Walken voice, read with that voice in your head)

I want to take a moment, just a moment, to thank you for replying to my post. Thank you.

No, no, I mean it. I mean it. Thank you...:mad:

*hugs you *
    (as Christopher Walken)

• I'm just shocked. I'm definitely stunned. I'm in an online forum, browsing through such a thread, and I was 100% sure that someone, in some post, would mention about that one franchise and it wouldn't be in favor of that said franchise.

@Secret Fawful said:
    CONTINUE!
    Sonic the Hedgehog

The only mention that this series gets, and it's a green light. I have to, uh, go wash my... everything.

OKAY SO, my list.

Zombie.pngREVIVEZombie.png
    [LIST]
    [*]Ice Climbers yo
    [*]Earthworm Jim!!!
    [*]Uhh... on second thought, nothing else. I mean really, despite oftenly they revive a classic, they rarely turn it into a groundbreaking concept. I like my old games better the way they are.
    [/LIST]
    2v94xmu.jpg2v94xmu.jpg2v94xmu.jpgCONTINUE2v94xmu.jpg2v94xmu.jpg2v94xmu.jpg
    [LIST]
    [*]Sam and Max, obviously
    [*]Gimmicky l'il indie games
    [*]Superhero MMOs, although they get pretty formulaic
    [*]PORTAL
    [*]Psychonauts (not in the dust yet, rite?)
    [*]Yeah, can't think of more. I have a VERY distinct like I guess. By that I mean I'm a hater.
    [/LIST]

sonic_idle.gifsonic_idle.gifsonic_idle.gifSTOPsonic_idle.gifsonic_idle.gifsonic_idle.gif
    [LIST]
    [*]Call of Duty, Battlefield, uhh fucking WWII
    [*]Also, Halo too. You got my point here.
    [*]Grand Theft Auto. After the fourth era, it has been just a mess. Lost its charm, to me at least.
    [*]Sims.
    [*]Pricey DLC shit that get released just around the date of the actual game's release
    [*]WoW.
    [*]Sonic games that forcefully trying to appeal to the hardcorest of so-called "classic gamer".
    [*]Final. Fantasy. I can see that they got pretty desperate.
    [*]Nicktoons games.
    [*]Team Fortress 2. Just close the booth alongside WoW.
    [*]God of War, before it turns into Final Fantasy but with blood.
    [*]Lego games based on other franchises? I just don't get the Lego humor.
    [*]PETA flash games
    [*]Worms franchise. Reloaded wasn't all that great.
    [*]Pro Evolution Soccer. Hard to argue with that one, they sell a lot of that shit.
    [*]Kane & Lynch. Unlikable characters to begin with.
    [*]Spiderman games. No matter what the concept, they're still pretty formulaic (even when if one offers 4 different characters, complete with their own worlds). Well, maybe not entirely stopping them but seems to me they're going too fast with making games based off of Spidey, they all end up being mediocre.
    [*]Spyro.
    [*]Castlevania. Okay, we get it, it's a classic, so make it stay that way.
    [/LIST]

lol.giflol.giflol.gifDON'T EVEN BOTHERlol.giflol.giflol.gif
    [LIST]
    [*]Age of Empires and all of its substitutes
    [*]Many forgotten Amiga titles. Superfrog and shit. Don't bother making a comeback, Team17.
    [*]Serious Sam. No need for another Duke Nukem.
    [*]Max Payne. Seriously, what happened to Max Payne 3? Well, good riddance if it's on hold or something.
    [/LIST]

Add Comment