User Avatar Image

New Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy-game by Hothead Games

posted by Tjibbbe on - last edited - Viewed by 639 users

Hothead just announced a new game based on Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. They set up a small teaser site (is that the voice of the original Arthur Dent, Simon Jones?): http://www.thenewhitchhikersguide.com/. Not much is known about the title just yet, but with E3 so close it wouldn't surprise me if more information is coming very soon.

On the one hand I'm very happy that there's a new Hitchhikers game, but I'm not sure if Hothead is the right company for it. What a Hitchhikers game needs, above all, is extremely good writing. I'm not sure if Hothead has writers that can come near Douglas Adams's level. Their games are pretty fun, but the writing (I guess I can only look at Deathspank, because every word of the Penny Arcade games was written by Jerry Holkins) is, in my opinion, pretty bad. And even if you enjoy Deathspank's humor, it's nothing like the kind of comedy you'll find in the Hitchhiker radio plays/books.

Anyway, maybe I'm being too pessimistic. I'm happy that this game is coming out at all, so let's stay positive for now.

Oh, and if someone from Telltale is reading this: get the Discworld license before Hothead gets their hands on it. Terry is still alive, and there are more movies and a television series coming soon, so get it before the rest of the videogame world realises what a perfect franchise it is.

79 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Davies said: Oh wow, you saw that too? I enjoyed it, although I haven't read the book. Mind you, I'm a big "Green Wing" fan and as such I am highly susceptible to the charms of Stephen Mangan. Do you have any other Douglas Adam adaptation recommendations?

The two Dirk Gently books are very very good - convoluted and confusing and completely absurd, but brilliant nonetheless.

TV wise, not much of Douglas's writing has cropped up - the original H2G2 TV series from the 80s was a different variant on the radio series/book, and he wrote all the scripts for that too.

The radio-series adaptations of Books 3, 4 & 5 were very well done, and much in the same vein as the original 2 radio series. Quite a lot of the original cast returned as well.

• Ooh Hitchhikers is my favorite book. I loved the text adventure game. I liked the movie but a lot of people don't get British humor. Also, I remember reading that DNA was going through a bad patch in his life so he wasn't to happy with the way Mostly Harmless ended up.

• I think of the movie as a decent tribute to the book. Not really all that faithful but flattering

• There are several things wrong with the movie, but there are some things that I thought they did right. One thing, and this is only my very, very personal, you-are-allowed-to-disagree-with-me-here-don't-hurt-me-please opinion, is the visuals. I mean, everything about the visuals; the props, the aliens, the worlds, the actors. I thought they were awesome. Now, every time I read the book, I see the characters and the visual styles from the movie. Other than that, it was a 'meh' film with some funny jokes. And the story changes didn't bother me a lot, because every version of the H2G2 series is a little different.

My opinion regarding Hothead's acquisition of the license? Cool. Sure. Why not? I'd play it. I'd like to see what they can come up with, both in game-play and art design. If there is one thing I love, it's seeing another person's artistic take on the series. That's always awesome.

And if it's a big hit, maybe Telltale would consider a Discworld game.

• "Thanks for all the fish" is the single best opening to any movie. Ever.

• You haven't watched enough movie openings.

• @DAISHI said: "Thanks for all the fish" is the single best opening to any movie. Ever.

I did not like the Watchmen movie, but I believe that has the best opening to any movie.

• @tredlow said: I did not like the Watchmen movie, but I believe that has the best opening to any movie.

Really? I thought it was much better than it had any right to be. I mean, Watchmen is un-adaptable, there was really no way they could have done it perfectly. And while some of the key decisions make me want to bash my head through a wall, on the whole thing is actually a very good movie despite, well, its creation being a nigh literally impossible task.

• @Rather Dashing said: Really? I thought it was much better than it had any right to be. I mean, Watchmen is un-adaptable, there was really no way they could have done it perfectly. And while some of the key decisions make me want to bash my head through a wall, on the whole thing is actually a very good movie despite, well, its creation being a nigh literally impossible task.

I didn't say I hated it, I just have no strong opinions about the movie. I went to the theater hoping it would surprise me, but it was, like you said, impossible to be done perfectly. I guess it's my fault for having high expectations.

• @DAISHI said: "Thanks for all the fish" is the single best opening to any movie. Ever.

:eek: No, no, no, no. It was horrible and the first sign that they had turned Douglas' work into yet another typical Hollywood type affair. I stormed out of the cinema 30 minutes later and got a refund. It's the only time I've walked out on a movie, before or since. Although, I did watch it through to completion when watching it on TV a couple of years later. I didn't regret my previous actions upon doing so.

Add Comment