User Avatar Image

New Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy-game by Hothead Games

posted by Tjibbbe on - last edited - Viewed by 618 users

Hothead just announced a new game based on Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. They set up a small teaser site (is that the voice of the original Arthur Dent, Simon Jones?): http://www.thenewhitchhikersguide.com/. Not much is known about the title just yet, but with E3 so close it wouldn't surprise me if more information is coming very soon.

On the one hand I'm very happy that there's a new Hitchhikers game, but I'm not sure if Hothead is the right company for it. What a Hitchhikers game needs, above all, is extremely good writing. I'm not sure if Hothead has writers that can come near Douglas Adams's level. Their games are pretty fun, but the writing (I guess I can only look at Deathspank, because every word of the Penny Arcade games was written by Jerry Holkins) is, in my opinion, pretty bad. And even if you enjoy Deathspank's humor, it's nothing like the kind of comedy you'll find in the Hitchhiker radio plays/books.

Anyway, maybe I'm being too pessimistic. I'm happy that this game is coming out at all, so let's stay positive for now.

Oh, and if someone from Telltale is reading this: get the Discworld license before Hothead gets their hands on it. Terry is still alive, and there are more movies and a television series coming soon, so get it before the rest of the videogame world realises what a perfect franchise it is.

79 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • A Hitchhiker's game sounds interesting. But by Hothead? Not sure.

• @BoneFreak said: A Hitchhiker's game sounds interesting. But by Hothead? Not sure.

Could be worse.

• @tredlow I liked the casting but do you really find Mos Def the deffinitive Ford? I hope I don't appear rascist, but I never saw Ford as black. Based on appearances I found David Dixon to be a closer Ford in my minds eye.

• @Sausy Gibbon said: @tredlow I liked the casting but do you really find Mos Def the deffinitive Ford? I hope I don't appear rascist, but I never saw Ford as black. Based on appearances I found David Dixon to be a closer Ford in my minds eye.

The definitive one? Maybe not (David Tennant's Doctor is the definitive Ford Prefect for me), but Mos Def got pretty close in terms of appearance, in my opinion. What I didn't like was that Ford was less "Party Animal"-ish in the film, and was more of the "airhead".

• I found it very easy to read the books with the movie's cast in mind, Ford included.

• @DAISHI said: "Thanks for all the fish" is the single best opening to any movie. Ever.

Agreed. Not only is it great fun in and of itself, it signposted how the audience ought to view the rest of the film - as something FUN, not as a slavish (or not, as the case may be) and tired retread of the same old stuff.

• That's what's good about the Hitchhiker's Guide - all the different versions are, well, different. The radio series doesn't match the books and they don't match the film either. I enjoyed the film for what is was. I can see past whatever flaws people see in stuff like this. Toss up between the radio series & the books though. Each have their own charms. I'll be keeping an eye on what Hothead are doing with interest. Though I agree with what someone else said earlier (I think someone did anyway) that they should get someone like Dirk Maggs to consult on it as I feel he did a great job in producing the newer radio series.

• The problem with the Hitchhiker's Guide film isn't that it's different. I went into the theater EXPECTING something different. The problem with the film is that it contains next to no humor. The original stuff is dull and uninspired, the stuff ripped from other Guide stories is either truncated or displayed in a way that entirely misses the point of the joke, and many of the special effects solutions are from decisions based on limitations that existed back when the script was first written, but didn't exist at the time of the film's creation many years later. This is most notable in Zaphod's case, where the second head being "in his neck" was a special effects compromise due to being unable to animate a second head to cinema standards that existed NEXT to Zaphod's primary head.

• Having seen the movie before I read the book, I did find the movie to be reasonably entertaining and often funny, but just the sort of light smile funny and not laugh-out-loud funny. I actually kind of liked the film's interpretation of Zaphod's heads, since it caused the second head to be more of a minor running gag (as it was in the text- and audio-based versions) and less of a constant distraction. I was never a fan of the largely unexplained presence or absence of his third arm though.

Attempts to rewatch it after reading the books have usually ended with me getting bored and turning it off during the plodding middle act, so I do agree that the joke density could stand to be a lot better.

• After reading this thread I can see I'm pretty much alone here, but I did enjoy the movie even after reading all the books.

Add Comment