User Avatar Image

Traditional animation vs. 3D animation...

posted by Leplaya on - last edited - Viewed by 4.3K users

I am not that big of King's quest, but I have seen bits of pieces of the games. The only game of King's quest that I remember playing was the 7th one, and that one was the Princeless Bride. I'm not that big into the animation of that one(Since I dislike it when people mimic the Disney style) but my sister likes it and it reminds her of Don Bluth's style. I know the game is likely to be done in 3D but will there be certain parts of the game that will use 2D? Or even better, used for the cutscenes of the game? It would be sweet if that would happen.

164 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • To get back on topic, I've been disappointed that Telltale hasn't cell-shaded more of their games. It's a relatively inexpensive way to add style to a game and there are quite a few games in their catalog it would fit well with.

Tales of Monkey Island lost a bit of its feel when it went into 3D. A large part of the games charm came from the water colored art in the second and third games. When Telltale moved it to 3D, the art got sanitized and we lost that dirty wet feel that added so much to the 2D MI games. For the second season I'd like to see ToMI cell shaded with water colored textures (especially in the environment).

Same for Kings Quest. No reason Telltale can't stylistically cell shade the game to give it a "Disney hand drawn feel." Many modern games like Street Fighter IV and the new Zelda game use creative shading to give their games a drawn or painted style.

I understand Telltale has to do these games on the cheap, but I'd like to see Telltale do a bit of art R&D and add some variety to the style of their games. 3D "shiny" models work for games like Wallace and Grommit, BttF, and Jurassic Park, but ToMI, KQ, and even Sam and Max could benefit from some more creative styling.

• Actually, LEC move Monkey Island into 3D (sort of) with Escape. Truth be told, I think of ToMI as TTG's best game to date, however easy it is.

• I hate 3D cel-shading. Except for Strong Bad because it actually works there as that's the original style. Telltale's 3D is fine, though. I enjoy the details. I don't like the absence of details in cel-shading. They're more than fine now. During the TMI days they hadn't added real-time shadows or normals yet. When they started that with S&M3 the quality took a jump. And now Jurassic Park looks absolutely fantastic. No cel-shading.

• If telltale was able to make this as a 2D game, I'd home they'd aim for either the concept artwork of the game or Steve Purcell's style.

• @Darkblader said: If telltale was able to make this as a 2D game, I'd home they'd aim for either the concept artwork of the game or Steve Purcell's style.

The concept artwork of what game?

• @wilco64256 said: The concept artwork of what game?

King's quest of course.

• I still have no idea what concept artwork you're referring to. Telltale hasn't released any concept art for their KQ game so I'd assume you're referring to one of the others.

• Did king's quest even have concept artwork to begin with?

• [quote]Did king's quest even have concept artwork to begin with? [/quote]

Of course it did. Any visual medium, be it graphic novels, video or computer games, movies...they all have concept art.

• Not necessarily with the very first games, though - that is, "to begin with" (like Leplaya said). In those days there were so few pixels to play around with that many game makers drew straight on the screen. Not sure if this was the case with early KQ, though.

Add Comment