Menu
76 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @JedExodus said: What's this about Scott Pilgrm and Seinfeld? Will I be annoyed?

It's a 30 second scene. I thought it was funny.

• @JedExodus said: What's this about Scott Pilgrm and Seinfeld? Will I be annoyed?

For no reason, for one scene in the film it has the Seinfeld bass transition, similar exterior shot before cutting inside, and laugh track. I wish I could tell you it had a point but I blame it for my dislike of the movie. WHY WAS THAT THERE

• @DrRocketGenius said: It's a 30 second scene. I thought it was funny.

Just youtubed it. it was well done, but the idea of that plop in the middle of my film angers the blood.

Michael Cera acted really well I have to say, the only flaw I could point out was that he's Michael Cera and thus instantly dislikable.

• @JedExodus said:
    Michael Cera acted really well I have to say, the only flaw I could point out was that he's Michael Cera and thus instantly dislikable.

That's the one thing about the movie that I didn't like: Scott Pilgrim is NOT a Cera-esque character in the source material. The exact opposite, really. Sometimes he becomes the soft-spoken socially awkward geek, but he's normally egotistical, loud, and boisterous. He's still a dick in the movie, but not nearly as much.

EDIT: Oh god, I'm becoming that guy. ("In issue #375, Batman CLEARLY states...")

EDIT 2: Oh, and all the stuff they had to cut for time constraints made me a bit disappoint.

• I thought Scott Pilgrim was a pretty funny and enjoyable movie. I still haven't read the comics to compare. I just felt that they took a whole bunch of different elements that I typically enjoy separately, and combined them in a pretty effective way. I particularly liked the comedic timing. It's all very punchy.

As for the Seinfeld scene:

Wright said the idea came from a single panel in the comics where it said “Studio Audience – Ahhh” and that gave him the idea to continue the sitcom theme into the next scene.

-from an interview

Works for me. Personally I just viewed it as an odd, stylistic interpretation of Scott's cheerful mood.

• @LuigiHann said: Works for me. Personally I just viewed it as an odd, stylistic interpretation of Scott's cheerful mood.

Yeah, the whole movie is actually told within Scott's point of view. It's not really apparent until you think about the transitions from each scene to the next.

The way I see it, it's one of those movies where every hater's reason to hate it is every lover's reason to love it.

• So, Comedy Central showed Disaster Movie today and out of morbid curiosity, I watched some of it.

DISASTER MOVIE had a 5 minute long High School Musical sequence, featuring random appearances of actors pretending to be Justin Timberlake and Jessica Simpson. Also someone pretending to be Ellen Page from Juno was there too. For some... reason. I am pretty sure that neither of those movies are in the disaster movie genre. And they had nothing to do with anything going on with the main characters as far as I can tell. Ugh.

It was so bad that I had to put on Star Trek Generations instead.

That's how bad it was!

• @Scnew said: So, Comedy Central showed Disaster Movie today and out of morbid curiosity, I watched some of it.

DISASTER MOVIE had a 5 minute long High School Musical sequence, featuring random appearances of actors pretending to be Justin Timberlake and Jessica Simpson. Also someone pretending to be Ellen Page from Juno was there too. For some... reason. I am pretty sure that neither of those movies are in the disaster movie genre. And they had nothing to do with anything going on with the main characters as far as I can tell. Ugh.

It was so bad that I had to put on Star Trek Generations instead.

That's how bad it was!

Me and my friends played a game; who can watch the movie the longest. I won after 8 minutes.

• @tredlow said: Me and my friends played a game; who can watch the movie the longest. I won after 8 minutes.

I feel like he was actually the real winner.

• @Scnew said: I feel like he was actually the real winner.

To be fair, I blinked to most of it, so it's around 7 minutes and 56 seconds.

Add Comment