User Avatar Image

Frankenstein threads

posted by SHODANFreeman on - last edited - Viewed by 519 users

I really hate it when a couple vaguely similar threads are merged for no real reason. It makes sense to merge threads when people post several threads about the exact same topic at roughly the same time, but there's no real reason to merge threads that are totally different from each other, or posted several months apart, into one amalgamated topic. It'd be like if a news site just merged all of the news on the front page tangentially related to the United States under one headline that said "The US Does Some Stuff". The value of separate topics is that you can go into one that specifically looks interesting to you. When they're all mashed together into one vague general topic, no one really wants to sift through 6+ pages of posts to see if there is anything worth looking at in there.

36 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Recently, the mods have been putting a bunch of threads together I wouldn't remotely call similar. This is quite silly. What do you all think of it?

Edit: Merg'd.

• Uh, I'm sorry for questioning the divine powers of mods or anything, lately I observe the fact that some threads are getting locked without much concern. I mean there are many similar threads getting merged and it helps the availability and order of sorting of the subject at hand, I guess, but locking threads "before anything bad happens" isn't really helping at all. I mean, we can't really discuss about the pirating issue as it's a taboo or something. Can't we just talk about it by sharing different perspectives and maybe find little way outs by ourselves? Is it only me? What's your thought on that people?

EDIT: Uhhh... Shit.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

Can you give us some examples of poor merges? I'm always quite willing to accept feedback, and curious as to any particular merges that have caught your attention so we can possibly do better.

• Hmmm.... I think I missed out on receiving divine powers... I actually agree I do think SOME threads get closed before they are allowed to go bad.. I do think that they should be given a chance before they are locked up outright... But the piracy threads are something else entirely.

• @Irishmile said: But the piracy threads are something else entirely.

It sure isn't the holocaust, so why not talking about it? Try to reason with people who wants to pay but can't, or maybe change the now-obsolete habits of some people who pirates stuff because they think games aren't worthy to be paid. I mean, it just does not solve it for anyone. Sure, Warez links or things like that need to be eradicated, but it's because it's the direct breaking of the rules. My only guess is that we just don't LIKE talking about it so we just pour cement on the whole thing. If it's that so, fine.

• @puzzlebox said: Can you give us some examples of poor merges? I'm always quite willing to accept feedback, and curious as to any particular merges that have caught your attention so we can possibly do better.

I don't see any reason for these threads to merged into a single thread. They're all related because they're videos, but the videos are all totally different. Putting them into a single thread severely limits the amount of conversation that can be had about each specific video, as well as making it more difficult to tell exactly what videos are even in the thread without looking at every page. For example, a topic about a BttF/Terminator video would appeal to Terminator fans, but how would they know there is one in there without going into a vaguely titled topic containing a big pile of marginally related videos?

Merging these threads together has a similar problem. Yes, they are all marginally related as far as their topic, but putting them all into one thread removes the focus from each separate topic within the thread, severely hindering the amount of discussion that can take place for each different topic contained within. Not to mention that an 18 page long thread is a very daunting read for anyone who hasn't already read most of it.

And while I have your attention:

@puzzlebox said: I think all of the following threads (and more) should be considered candidates for "forum game" status:

Rate The Last Movie(s) You Watched
    The Last Item You Purchased?
    Favourite Bands?
    which games are you currently playing
    Rate The Last Song(s) You Heard
    What do you look like? (Post a Pic!)

All of these threads don't promote any kind of conversation beyond just yelling out stuff about yourself into a sea of people doing the same.

• @Falanca said: It sure isn't the holocaust, so why not talking about it? Try to reason with people who wants to pay but can't, or maybe change the now-obsolete habits of some people who pirates stuff because they think games aren't worthy to be paid. I mean, it just does not solve it for anyone. Sure, Warez links or things like that need to be eradicated, but it's because it's the direct breaking of the rules. My only guess is that we just don't LIKE talking about it so we just pour cement on the whole thing. If it's that so, fine.

I have an easy answer for you. The piracy issue is actually an order handed down from Telltale. Regardless of whether we feel that piracy discussion should be allowed, we're to shut it down on sight.

And SHODAN, I saw that post. The others are free to override me if they feel differently, but I'm saying no.

• @GuruGuru214 said: The others are free to override me if they feel differently, but I'm saying no.

The reason the "whatever's on your mind" thread was moved there is exactly the same reason those threads should be moved there. The nature of the threads is not conducive to conversation. Sure, little conversations break out here and there, through the course of the threads, but those are usually few and far between.

I would even go so far as suggesting a different, post-countless sub-forum made specifically for that type of post.

• I really don't see why it matters, honestly. Most of the people who post in those threads already have ridiculously high post counts anyway, so moving them to Forum Games wouldn't really change much. Except for people like me and Pants, of course, but watching our post counts plummet is just good fun for the rest of the forum, so who cares?

Though, if it comes to this, sooner or later every new thread will have to undergo a board of review to see if it is relevant to discussion and also not too controversial. A police forum, you might say!

And then...the Revolution!

• @Alcoremortis said: I really don't see why it matters, honestly. Most of the people who post in those threads already have ridiculously high post counts anyway, so moving them to Forum Games wouldn't really change much. Except for people like me and Pants, of course, but watching our post counts plummet is just good fun for the rest of the forum, so who cares?

Though, if it comes to this, sooner or later every new thread will have to undergo a board of review to see if it is relevant to discussion and also not too controversial. A police forum, you might say!

And then...the Revolution!

I love revolutions! Can I be Trotsky? I want to be betrayed by the Revolution's Stalin figure once the Lenin figure dies!

This discussion has been closed.