User Avatar Image

POKER NIGHT: Poker rules issues in game

posted by poingpoing on - last edited - Viewed by 2.1K users

the blinds are being done incorrectly when it gets to heads up play.

during heads up play in texas hold'em the small blind is supposed to be the button and the big blind is the other player. the button/small blind acts first pre-flop and acts last post-flop. currently in the game, the button is big blind during heads up play, and this leads to the button having last action pre-flop AND post-flop.

I hope someone from telltale games can see this and patch the mistake.

113 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Jake said: From the upcoming update:

* Each round, the minimum raise starts at the big blind until someone raises, after which the minimum raise is the amount of that last raise.

The betting situation is much improved post-patch, but still not right. While the patch notes describe the rule correctly, the actual patch does something different.

On the start of each new betting round (pre-flop, post-flop, turn, river), the minimum bet should be the big blind. In the current implementation, however, the minimum bet is based on the last bet on the previous betting round, which is incorrect.

• @Veloso said: In the current implementation, however, the minimum bet is based on the last bet on the previous betting round

*jaw drops*

Umm... yeah, that's certainly wrong. ^^;;;; Granted, I can't really imagine when it'd be correct strategy to bet less than that amount, but the game shouldn't enforce that.

By the way, I haven't played the patch, so I've yet to test this rule, but I should reiterate a detail in case it may have been missed: if a character raises less than the minimum (because he is going all-in), it should not reopen the betting. For example, if I bet $1000, and Tycho raises all-in for $100 more, I'm not allowed to reraise, because Tycho's raise was less than $1000. It's an important rule in "real" poker, but I'm willing to look the other way if there aren't any plans to implement it. ;)

- Kef

• User Avatar Image
    HoboStew Telltale Staff

@Veloso said: The betting situation is much improved post-patch, but still not right. While the patch notes describe the rule correctly, the actual patch does something different.

On the start of each new betting round (pre-flop, post-flop, turn, river), the minimum bet should be the big blind. In the current implementation, however, the minimum bet is based on the last bet on the previous betting round, which is incorrect.

It is hard to find universal agreement on rules, so we just went with the top googled sites for holdem rules:
    @Veloso said: In no-limit hold 'em, players may bet or raise any amount over the minimum raise up to all of the chips the player has at the table (called an all-in bet). The minimum raise is equal to the size of the previous bet or raise. If someone wishes to re-raise, they must raise at least the amount of the previous raise. For example, if the big blind is $2 and there is a raise of $6 to a total of $8, a re-raise must be at least $6 more for a total of $14.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_hold_'em) @Veloso said: Once a bet has been made, the minimum you can raise is the size of the last bet. So if your opponent bets $5, the minimum raise you can make is $5 (for a total bet of $10). Again, the maximum raise is the total of whatever you have in front of you.(http://www.pokerlistings.com/texas-holdem-betting-rules)

• But nobody plays no-limit hold'em that way. The rules you cite assume that you understand that the betting is reset to the size of the big blind on the next betting round. Notice that both articles you cite say the minimum raise -- not the minimum bet -- is the size of the previous bet or raise.

In any case, I urge you to use Robert's Rules of Poker as your guide. It is much more well-specified than the sources you cite, and it is the most common rule set in the United States. I imagine most other rule sets are very close, if not identical, as far as actual gameplay is concerned.

• Well, it certainly doesn't help that there's a lot of misinformation out there. Even this thread had a lot of debate on what the right rules are. This is unfortunate, because it makes these rules questions seem controversial, and really they're not. While people play all sorts of crazy rules in home games, practically any online or brick-and-mortar cardroom you visit will use the rules we're describing.

@furrykef said: In any case, I urge you to use Robert's Rules of Poker as your guide. It is much more well-specified than the sources you cite, and it is the most common rule set in the United States. I imagine most other rule sets are very close, if not identical, as far as actual gameplay is concerned.

Second this. You could also look at the Poker Tournament Director's Associaton's rules. They aim to make a standardized set of tournament poker rules. It's a different ruleset that gives the same answers to the questions being asked here.

• so... uhm... the update installed today on steam. i never had an issue before the update, maybe i was just lucky.

but a few minutes ago i missed the grand prize (SASHA!!) because a pair of eights from strongbad beat my pair of jacks!

attached the file (hope that works, my first image upload..)

edit: uhm.. not really a big picture but sure donwloadble and possible to enlarge. this got anything to do with side pot (which i haven't fully understood by now)?

yeah i'm a poker noob..

• Well, I don't know much about poker. I'm gonna shoot a question.

2 pairs on the table. 10-10, 2-2
    1 pair on my hand. 6-6
    no pair on Max's hand.

The game decided that it was a tie... Was it correct?

• No, that wouldn't be correct. It'd be nice to have a video or screenshot to be sure that it happened that way, though...

• @furrykef said: No, that wouldn't be correct. It'd be nice to have a video or screenshot to be sure that it happened that way, though...

Dang it! From now on, I'll take screenshots...

• Trying to say that something is an official rule of poker is such as putting forth effort to say that something is an official rule of beer pong. There are no official rules. There are the most common rules, sure, but that doesn't mean anything.

Add Comment