User Avatar Image

Indie Games (or games of lesser fame)

posted by 1nky on - last edited - Viewed by 396 users

Has anyone found any great online games, or lesser known games that you believe are worth sharing? Post 'em here.

Gretel and Hansel - a darker take on the Brothers Grimm fairytale. A flash-based game, it is composed entirely of scanned-in watercolour pictures. Simplistic, but nothing to sneeze at. There is also some very black humor in this game, so if you're the squeamish type, and don't like watching children fall into some very... bleak situations, this may not be for you. You play as Gretel in this first installment, as she gathers the pebbles necessary to leave a trail back home. (Hansel is pretty much useless. No, really. He's retarded.)

Gretel and Hansel - Part 2 - The much bigger and better next installment to the series. More point and clicky puzzles to do, more ways for Gretel to die, and more achievements to unlock. The atmosphere is made absolutely gorgeous by a new soundtrack by a new composer - and you're further immersed in the supernatural world that this story takes place in - cleverly so. In this installment, you play Gretel (And briefly, Hansel!), as you navigate your way through an enchanted forest, in an attempt to finally get home.

Don't eat the mushrooms.

Yume Nikki - a game which... really kind of messes with you, quite a bit. Literally "Dream Diary," you play a female recluse, who wanders her dreams each night. Each one is strange, and almost nonsensical, until you look at the context the fans have come up with. And then it's really deep, at times horrifying. Recommended if you want a good "what the hell was that?!" moment, but ultimately, your mileage may vary. Freeware-made. You can find the download link here.

Tower of Heaven - A very simple, straightforward game. You are a nameless protagonist, ascending a tower that leads to a God. As you ascend, however, this God begins to lay down laws to make your goal more and more impossible - example, 'Thou shalt not touch the sides of the blocks,' or 'Thou shalt not walk left,' etc. This game is surprisingly replayable, if not just for the gameplay itself, but for the wonderful music as well. And there's definitely an underlying sense of depth, despite the gameboy-esque graphics - they used their medium beautifully.

Machinarium - a lovely, short point-and-click puzzle game (warning, it's incredibly difficult) featuring a coming-of-age story of a little robot off to save his girl from unknown circumstances. Actually, it's a steampunk-esque adventure, with lighthearted overtones. You play a little tin robot named Jozef, who's been kicked out of his home city by a gang of black-capped jerkwad robots. You need to make your way back, figure out the story as you're going along, rescue your adorable girlfriend, and save the city from the Black Cap Brotherhood. A 2D game, it has incredibly charming artwork, a wonderful atmosphere, and probably one of the best game composers I've personally heard. It can be downloaded via Steam, or through the links found here.

34 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I leave for a day or so, and this thread explodes. Wow.

Desperately want to play all these games, now, but am currently overseas on a computer that I lack authority over. Hence, downloading's not an option.

@Aya Reiko said: Which wiki are you talking about? Wikipedia, Touhou Wiki, or the Tropes entry?

If you want to figure out the plot, I'd go for the Touhou Wiki page: http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Touhou_Wiki

You can skip any details involving the first 5 games since they're basically retconned out of existance.

I'll definitely take a look - thanks. :)

Looking at those winners for the awards, has anybody here played Amnesia: The Dark Descent? I haven't, but I've been hearing rave reviews all round (even from Yahtzee, and he's a tough nut to crack).

• @1nky said: Looking at those winners for the awards, has anybody here played Amnesia: The Dark Descent? I haven't, but I've been hearing rave reviews all round (even from Yahtzee, and he's a tough nut to crack).

If anyone has any interest at all in these games, they should get the demo(PC, Mac, or Linux) here. Amnesia is the spiritual successor to the excellent Penumbra games, combining survival horror with an innovative and intuitive control scheme(very gesture-based), and clever adventure puzzles. Everyone should buy and play these games.

• Kaptain Brawe or let's guess the frequency! :O)

• Here are some of my favorite indie adventures :
    (B&D and H&G were already mentioned but I didn't want to exclude them)

* Anna; Linus Bruckman (by Vince Twelve)

* Majesty of Colors;… (by Gregory Weir)

* Submachine; Daymare Town;... (by Pastel Games)

* Terminal House

* The Lost Pig (by Admiral Jota)

* Today I Die;… (by Daniel Benmergui)

* Winter Rose (by Alex van der Wijst)

* Besieged (by Alex van der Wijst & yarooze)

* Mental Repairs Inc. (by Renzo Thönen)

* Murder in a Wheel (by Renzo Thönen)

* Nelly Cootalot (by Alasdair Beckett)

* Ben There, Dan That (by Dan & Ben)

* Samorost (by Amanita Design)

* A Second Face (by Jospin Le Woltaire)

* Nick Bounty Mysteries (by Mark Darin)

* A Small Favor & its sequel

* What makes you tick? (by Matt Kempke)

* Gretel and Hansel Parts 1 & 2 (by makopudding)

* Technobabylon (by Technocrat)

* The Curfew[/url"> (by Kieron Gillen and Littleloud Studios)

* [url="http://www.wurb.com/if/game/1326"]Galatea
    (by Emily Short)

* Ben Jordan series (by Francisco Gonzalez)

• @figmentPez said: I had a long post typed up with tips, and with my criticisms and praise for the game... but the forum eated it. :mad:

In short, the game really doesn't do a good job of telling you about the keyboard shortcuts for moves and skills.

- Try using WASD for movement, it can really make combat more fluid.
    - Make good use of R to spin and pull in items, it's a lot easier than looping the cursor around yourself rapidly.
    - The number keys get assigned to songs. Use them for quick access to abilities. I'll avoid specifics because of spoilers, but 9 is shield (a song you start off knowing) and 0 is a skill used very often (now that I know this, I think I'll remap it somewhere more utilitarian)

Thank you! Knowing this will help. Especially that the number keys are songs.

• @Rather Dashing said: If anyone has any interest at all in these games, they should get the demo(PC, Mac, or Linux) here. Amnesia is the spiritual successor to the excellent Penumbra games, combining survival horror with an innovative and intuitive control scheme(very gesture-based), and clever adventure puzzles. Everyone should buy and play these games.

This is one time that I wholeheartedly agree with Rather Dashing.

• @1nky said:
    Looking at those winners for the awards, has anybody here played Amnesia: The Dark Descent? I haven't, but I've been hearing rave reviews all round (even from Yahtzee, and he's a tough nut to crack).

Amnesia is to the horror genre what Mario 3 was to the platformer. That may sound like overpraise, but I can honestly not think of a single misstep in that entire game. It balances both scripted and unscripted scares so well that it's hard to tell which is which sometimes.

Let me share an unscripted experience I had with Amnesia (no spoilers). If this doesn't sell you on it, nothing will.

I was wandering around a small prison in the castle, looking for oil to keep my lantern going. I started to hear feet shuffling in one of the cells, but the echo made it hard for me to tell where it was coming from. I ran into the nearest cell and started barricading the door so that I could safely pinpoint the sound.

After I made sure the door was safe, I turned around to see if there were any items.

The creature that had been making the noises was standing less than a foot in front of my face.

Needless to say, I leaped a mile out of my seat, and because the door was barricaded, I was dead in an instant. Took me two hours to calm down enough to continue.

This isn't a rare thing in that game, either. A lot of games can boast one brilliant scare, but Amnesia is MADE OF brilliant scares.

I wish I was in a writing gig right now, because Amnesia deserves a GOTY nod, if not the whole damn award.

• I found out about this website by searching for some shooters last year, but it has different games.

Headix - Free Flash game. It's interesting, somewhat challenging and since it does not have any help it takes a while to figure out what to do. I like games that make me explore stuff.

These games are not browser games, but are online a way that you can post a hiscore and it's always available on the "hall of fame" page, if you managed to get into it.

Invader Attack - Very good top view shooter with cool music, nice challenging levels, bosses and various enhancements.

Galaxide - Another shooter, but different style and features. Although the graphics are worse than in the previous game, I like this shooter the most.

Bloxidy - This one is very colorful logic action game. I played a lot of similar games, but this one is very original take and can't be compared to anything I ever saw. The multiplayer part of the game, the battle mode is amazing, very fast-paced and quite hard.

Anyway, I hope you like my "reviews" of these games and hopefully you never heard of them before, because I never did. I'm sorry if you did :D Thanks!

Add Comment