User Avatar Image

E3 - Brief new King's Quest info

posted by Blind Sniper on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

"Grossman said Telltale actually approached Roberta Williams, one of the designers of the original games, to see if she was interested in working on the new one. While she declined by saying she had retired from games, she did offer the development team advice, some of which was "very valuable," according to Grossman. "

http://pc.ign.com/articles/117/1174593p1.html

67 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • To say KQ7 has puzzles is almost stretching it, sure it has a couple of good ones. But most of the puzzles in the game are glorified fetch quests. Characters tell you what they need, and what to do, and then you go do it, bring stuff back. Beyond that it was a matter of looking for sparkly hotspots on the screen to let you know what you could manipulate.... Then for that matter each chapter really only had two or three items you pick up, and those items were more or less only useful for that chapter... And you could start the game from any chapter! The one or two items that could be missed in a previous chapter, appear in a different location if you missed it previously, for example the fragrant flower.

Seriously many reviewers were harsh with that game, many saying it was more like watching a cartoon movie catering to small children then playing a puzzle solving adventure game.

The only thing I can say for it is it did offer a couple of alternate puzzle solutions for one or two puzzles, such as how to get rid of the scorpion. But then they released version 2.0 which dumbed it down even further complete removing a few timer puzzles and the deaths that went along with them! For example the volcano no longer has a chance of erupting in the final chapter!

• I remember KQ7 got me stuck on a musical puzzle (I cannot recognize and/or replay notes, it'a problem of mine) and on the whole

"taking the faux shop with a grain of salt". I'm Italian, so I had some problems in getting a solution out of an idiom.

:o

• Ya the music puzzles, gave me some trouble as well. I knew what I needed to do, the dragonettes made it obvious. But not that good at remembering the notes or the order, I suppose. Maybe don't have the best ear for music. But that's not really an adventure game-style puzzle (it doesn't involve inventory items), at least traditional adventure games. It's more of a puzzle game type puzzle. Or at least puzzle/adventure hybrid, like Seventh Guest. There was Loom, though that made the puzzles into that type of puzzle only...

Btw I'd say that BTTF has puzzles, even adventure game style puzzles. But the puzzles are pretty much ripped from the cliched stale depths of puzzles used and abused almost twenty years ago. So far many of them have been variations on the hand gestures puzzle in Monkey Island II, or the even more stale slide the newspaper under the door to get a key. Probably the most over used adventure game trope from the adventure game design hand book. These puzzles might have been original decades ago but now those ideas no longer present a challenge. There is seriously a lack of the originality in puzzle game design anymore.

• I don't think Roberta Williams would have come back even if offered 100% control. Ken has said, many times, that they have no interest in that any more. They seem to be very occupied with their sailing and traveling, and I don't think she wants to go back to working on games.

I'm not going to speculate anything that Tell Tale is doing with this until I see SOMETHING from them.

Bt

• She used to make escapist adventures, now she can afford to take real adventures to escape....

To be honest Roberta's greatest strength was pushing the adventure game genre forward by pushing the technology forward. She was more about presentation less about story. She looked at technology and figured how to use that technology to design a better game, the games were designed to take advantage of the technology. There was a time when she pushed the whole computer industry forward (getting people to buy into new devices and hardware just to be able to play her games). They were uber tech demos. Now she would be so far behind that I'm not sure she would have ideas that would be revolutionary or original. She probably would be clueless, as I understand it she doesn't even really play games at all, so she likely wouldn't have any ideas how to push things further.

I'm pretty sure almost anything that comes out will be more retro for nostalgia purposes rather than truly innovative in themselves. The whole episodic gaming and digital download technologies are no longer innovative. Roberta also wanted to push the series toward massively multiplayer gaming, but that is no longer truly innovative idea. The lack of innovation would be missing out on one of the essential aspects of being a Roberta Williams or KQ game.

• That's an interesting point, actually. King's Quest was the flagship of Sierra for a reason. It showcased all of Sierra's newest technology. Innovated it even. Furthermore, created it out of a "what if we could do this?" attitude. Very few game companies have this attitude nowadays. Least of all Telltale. They innovate nothing. You can praise them all you want but it's true. They do not innovate.

Maybe that's another one of the big reasons why we loved King's Quest so much. It showcased new methods of game design that weren't possible until King's Quest invented it. That's something Telltale can never follow up on unless they change their whole business strategy as a company.

Thought-provoking post, Valiento.

• I think only Nintendo has the innovative spirit anymore and that is shown through their game and system design and flagship games. Even if it comes off being gimmicky at times.

Telltale was only really innovative their first year, when they created the quick release episodic format, that other companies are now copying. Valve attempted the episodic distribution as well but really failed. Valve got the whole digital download service going through Steam though.

Now Telltales' 'claim' to 'innovation' has something to do with a Pilot program to give aspiring designers a chance to create new games series.
    http://ixdasf.ning.com/forum/topics/ui-designer-games-award

• (I guess you meant Valve when you said Steam)

Yeah. Nintendo are the only ones left. And they pay through the nose for it seemingly. I guess it's not surprising no one else dare try. In the words of Ken Williams: "You can't innovate without taking risks."

• Innovation is both a curse and a blessing. It can lead to great things that draw a greater audience to the product, but there is also a risk that it might alienate long time customers, pushing them away, if they are resistant to change.

• But the benefits of the potential rewards should always outweigh the risk. Developers are just as afraid of change as consumers are.

Add Comment