User Avatar Image

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 38.7K users

So, Christmas is approaching, and with it a brand new Doctor who episode, and seeing as it's no longer series 5, I thought it would be time for a new, more generalised Doctor who thread!

For those who are new to the series, It features a humanoid Alien (timelord) called the Doctor, who travels in time and space in the TARDIS. He's the last of his race, and when he dies, he regenerates into a new person (up to 13 times). So far he has done so 11 times, with the current, 11th doctor being Matt Smith.
the11doctors.png

To kick things off, here's a trailer for the new Doctor who ipod/iphone/ipad/android game: The mazes of time!

4.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Friar said: Wow. I just had to post this. (A good man goes to war minor spoilers)
    It seems Moffat was an avid fan back in the 90's and participated in online discussions. Here's him talking about what became a plot detail on saturday's episode.

So that awesome speech of River's was 16 years in the making.

0.jpg

It's the little things like this that make me love Doctor Who so much.

• @Ribs said: The funny thing is they moved it literally nowhere. They moved it to somewhere barely different. It's like the Time Lords accidentally nudged it just a little bit. From TV Tropes: Sci-Fi Writers Have no Sense of Scale - Probably the most spectacular example in is in this story, where Earth was apparently hidden by moving its entire solar system several million miles, which is the celestial equivalent of hiding from your date in an empty movie theater by leaning an inch to the left. For scale, Mercury never comes within 28 million miles of our Sun, despite being its closest planet.

As far as I could tell some evil or good person stole Time Lord secrets then went to Earth to hide. And the Time Lords decided the best action would be to move the Earth cos that will be bound to kill him. At lest that's what I think they did it for. Which would make it the ultimate braking a nut with a sledgehammer moment.

• Roy Skelton, voice of both the Daleks and Zippy from Rainbow, has died. And this video neatly encapsulates both!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmL-ilEBf8c&feature=player_embedded#t=260s

• I saw that earlier today, and was slightly annoyed when only Zippy was trending, not "Zippy and the daleks".

Oh yeah, Manchester is getting an interactive doctor who experience type thing for some festival. Unfortunately, there's an age limit (6-12), so the only way the majority of us would get in is to pinch someone's kids! :p

I listened to "The marian conspiracy" today, and it's pretty awesome. Or at least it would have been if my ipod had synced all of Part four, instead of missing the first 8 minutes!

• @Friar said: I saw that earlier today, and was slightly annoyed when only Zippy was trending, not "Zippy and the daleks".

Oh yeah, Manchester is getting an interactive doctor who experience type thing for some festival. Unfortunately, there's an age limit (6-12), so the only way the majority of us would get in is to pinch someone's kids! :p

I listened to "The marian conspiracy" today, and it's pretty awesome. Or at least it would have been if my ipod had synced all of Part four, instead of missing the first 8 minutes!

Ah, that's a shame. I quite liked the ending of Episode Three, it's a well-done cliffhanger that isn't OH GOD HES GOING OT KILL THE DOCTOR like 90% of classic cliffhangers are.

I also listened to the Spectre of Lanyon Moor. It was really, really unsettling. Especially what happens to one person in the final episode. Urgh. It's also a lot like Puzzle Agent, what with the evil gnomes running around seemingly killing people.

And, I started and listened to half of Primeval (the Traken one). It has a very Davison-era feel, which is nice, but I really do not care for the majority of the Davison era based on what I've seen and it's not Traken enough to make it feel like a sequel to the original story (which is probably my favorite classic story I've seen, now that I'm thinking about it). Nonetheless, I'm excited for the Six story being done for the Lost Stories next year that's a sequel, because it's by the original writer, despite it being done in the evil 2x45 format.

And did I comment on the Third McCoy lost story? It was really okay. Andrew Cartmel is good at the dialogue, but all his monsters seem too designed for audio to seem like true Lost Stories.

Also: it is really annoying when BF doesn't label downloads with proper titles ie 1a,1b, or Part One, Track 01 and so on. I'm trying to find the timings for Neverland but dear lord the chapter names are spoilery.

Double also: It's a two parter for no real reason. Boo!

Triple Also: Finished Primeval. That was really, really, really good. The conclusion is like a happier version of Spare Parts' big shocking revelation, based on what I've heard about that story. It made me like Five again, something I haven't felt truly and sincerely since I saw Earthshock nearly nine months ago. Bravo!

Quadruple also: BBC America says the series will be back starting the 3rd of September and ending the Eighth of October, followed by SJAs in November and the Special in December. Yay? Interestingly, Episode Ten will be airing on a Monday according to this schedule, which may be a typo.

Quintuple also (wowee): They confirmed that The Talons of Weng-Chiang is coming to North America as our Special Edition re-release for the year. If it sells well enough, we'll get the other eight (we already have the movie).

• In Genesis of the Daleks a badly dressed Time Lord said that The Time Lords envisage a time when the Daleks will be the supreme power in the Universe. And then sets him on his task of stopping them before there created. Does this mean there's still going to be a time when Daleks are the supreme power over all life forms like the Time Lords predicted?

• @coolsome said: In Genesis of the Daleks a badly dressed Time Lord said that The Time Lords envisage a time when the Daleks will be the supreme power in the Universe. And then sets him on his task of stopping them before there created. Does this mean there's still going to be a time when Daleks are the supreme power over all life forms like the Time Lords predicted?

Or The Time Lords lie, much like River and the Doctor.

Paul McGann's 1996 Audition Video

Also: I'm considering listening to Master next. It seems like a really good concept. It's like the basic concept of Human Nature, but with the Master. So it's this innocent man finding out he is pure evil and has killed tons of people. Fun fun fun fun.

• @coolsome said: In Genesis of the Daleks a badly dressed Time Lord said that The Time Lords envisage a time when the Daleks will be the supreme power in the Universe. And then sets him on his task of stopping them before there created. Does this mean there's still going to be a time when Daleks are the supreme power over all life forms like the Time Lords predicted?

They could have been, if not for the Doctor altering the Dalek's history in Genesis. Which resulted in the Time War, and that pretty much decimated both Time Lords and Daleks.

• Couldn't the Doctor become John Smith and make a Ganger of him then turn back to Tenth Doctor so both can live?

Add Comment