User Avatar Image

E3 - Brief new King's Quest info

posted by Blind Sniper on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

"Grossman said Telltale actually approached Roberta Williams, one of the designers of the original games, to see if she was interested in working on the new one. While she declined by saying she had retired from games, she did offer the development team advice, some of which was "very valuable," according to Grossman. "

http://pc.ign.com/articles/117/1174593p1.html

67 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @MusicallyInspired said: I never said KQ6 was the best. :p

@MusicallyInspired said: But I did. And KQ6 is the best game.

@MusicallyInspired said: KQ6 would've been the best.....if KQ5 hadn't existed. ;)

@MusicallyInspired said: You say KQ5 is best, I say KQ6 is...but which opinion is the right one?

Mine is. :cool: KQ6 is the best.

I hate Cedric, all of the animal-voice acting, and the glut of nonsensical puzzles in KQ5 like using cheese to make the machine at the end work.

• I still wonder if the cheese machine is a reference to some obscure story somewhere... I may never know! :p

I did come across this;
    Cheez powered time machine But that's apparently something new, some graphic novel. Maybe Roberta was ahead of her time?

Many of those animals in KQ5 were Roberta Williams herself playing the roles! :D. It was innovative at the time, as it was one of the earliest full-voice CD games on the market. Impressive at the time, but for some hasn't aged well. It also was the first sierra game to bring about the end of the parser. Thought many older fans of the series, criticized that change thinking it dumbed the game down, making things easier!

KQ6 brought rotoscoped animation (with live actors), an impressive for the time 3D introduction scene by Kronos, several well known and respected actors (so it was getting closer to the multimedia Hollywood ideal that Ken and Roberta wanted Sierra to move towards). Not sure if it ever got any criticism?

The thing about inovation, it also gave us things like KQ7 which brought feature length quality animation to computers aimed at a younger more family friendly audience (while her other game at the time, Phantasmagoria pushed movie quality live action, went more towards the mature audiences), and streamlined the interface (reducing it down to a single cursor + inventory), and MOE (which was Roberta's push to bring hardware 3-D graphics and action to PC and the adventure game genre). Both have been controversial to some of older fans, while also bringing new fans to the series.

• I found this article on Destructoid which says that Telltale is keeping the whole game a secret and won't release it until 2012. http://www.destructoid.com/e3-roberta-williams-advised-telltale-on-king-s-quest-203396.phtml

• @Chyron8472 said:
    I hate Cedric, all of the animal-voice acting, and the glut of nonsensical puzzles in KQ5 like using cheese to make the machine at the end work.

But but, KQ5 had the poiiiisonous snake in it. KQ6 is still the best, but Cedric is cool nonetheless.

• Ok, really guys?

You're making all these hasty assumptions based on absolutely nothing and it's honestly making you look like you're hoping that this game is gonna come out bad.

I mean, at least TellTale is trying... of course they probably knew that the likelihood of Robert accepting was slim to none, but they did get some valuable advice out of it so where's the harm in that? Maybe it's something that will help them capture the essence of the games...

• We don't hope it will turn out bad, we anticipate that it will. There is a difference.

Granted, there's nothing wrong with being hopeful and open-minded. I'm just... skeptical, that's all.

• I don't know yet, I'll still probably find it fun on some level. I've enjoyed most Telltale offerings so far, and they are good at crafting stories. Even if their games use every cliche in the adventure game puzzle design book. Ideas that were already seen in countless games years ago.

• I just don't see this as Telltale trying to serve the community by bringing back a beloved classic for the fans. I see it as them taking advantage of a fanbase by churning out another lifeless puzzle-less episodic game to make a buck. Don't get me wrong, I hope I'm proven wrong. And I don't think all of Telltale is like this, just the ones in charge.

It's just that King's Quest was known and loved for things I don't believe Telltale can ever deliver. Innovation, difficulty, and consequences.

• @MusicallyInspired said: That's an interesting point, actually. King's Quest was the flagship of Sierra for a reason. It showcased all of Sierra's newest technology. Innovated it even. Furthermore, created it out of a "what if we could do this?" attitude. Very few game companies have this attitude nowadays. Least of all Telltale. They innovate nothing. You can praise them all you want but it's true. They do not innovate.

Maybe that's another one of the big reasons why we loved King's Quest so much. It showcased new methods of game design that weren't possible until King's Quest invented it. That's something Telltale can never follow up on unless they change their whole business strategy as a company.

Thought-provoking post, Valiento.

I've been saying this for years now. Adventure games were popular (relatively speaking) back in the day because they were pushing the technology. When you wanted to show off your new 386, you bought the latest King's Quest game. Even after the advent of first-person shooters, games such as Phantasmagoria and Gabriel Knight 2 came in and were the best-looking games around.

Current fans of the genre like to say that it was always all about the story and characters, because they want to feel as if adventure games are the "intelligent" genre and that they are more cultured than those adolescent FPS players. But as I've said ad nauseum, that is not the case.

There was a thread in the main forum here recently about multiplayer adventure games. Many people pooh-poohed the idea, saying that cooperative adventure games are not possible for various reasons. There was a thread elsewhere about the possibility of open-world adventure games. This was pooh-poohed as well, because adventure games simply cannot be done in an open-world environment.

That's the anti-innovative thinking that we're dealing with, and it's why the genre has been in this gross rut for over a decade. It's arguably devolved since 1999, and until the players and developers get out of this box and start innovating again, adventure games are going to remain a cute little niche casual genre.

• Must be a lot of infos on this, what's the rest?

Add Comment