User Avatar Image

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 22.6K users

So, Christmas is approaching, and with it a brand new Doctor who episode, and seeing as it's no longer series 5, I thought it would be time for a new, more generalised Doctor who thread!

For those who are new to the series, It features a humanoid Alien (timelord) called the Doctor, who travels in time and space in the TARDIS. He's the last of his race, and when he dies, he regenerates into a new person (up to 13 times). So far he has done so 11 times, with the current, 11th doctor being Matt Smith.
the11doctors.png

To kick things off, here's a trailer for the new Doctor who ipod/iphone/ipad/android game: The mazes of time!

4.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

1) The 10th Doctor is dead. Long live Matt Smith, etc. He may be John Smith, but it would be a different John Smith.

2) That would be interfering in the Doctor's own history, which Father's Day showed is a very bad idea.

3) Stop trying to be clever. It doesn't suit you. :p

• @Darth Marsden said:
    3) Stop trying to be clever. It doesn't suit you. :p

I'm more then just a pretty face!

• I still hope that the Master does the whole 'A NEW BODY AT LAST' thing on the Meta Crisis Tenth Doctor, complete with cheesy effect and suddenly pitch black beard. It'd be neat. Especially if he killed Rose.

• @Ribs said: Or The Time Lords lie, much like River and the Doctor.

Paul McGann's 1996 Audition Video

Also: I'm considering listening to Master next. It seems like a really good concept. It's like the basic concept of Human Nature, but with the Master. So it's this innocent man finding out he is pure evil and has killed tons of people. Fun fun fun fun.

Aw, cute.

I was never a fan of "Master". It just seemed to drag on. And nothing really seemed to happen. It seemed a bit like an extended version of a cluedo (that's clue to you USians), with a nice (but probably contradictory now) piece of backstory to the doctor/master.

I other news, my second audio didn't sync to my ipod properly. Parts 2/3/4 of "the spirit of Lanyon Moor" and "The Apocalypse element" were missing the start. I'm thinking my ipod just hates Colin Baker. So I listened to "The eye of the scorpion" instead, which was pretty decent. It was closer to the old type of historicals (for the first three parts anyway) where the threat was based on the people of the time, not some alien invaders.

• What program is that you're using?
    I would show you my library, but it's incomplete (missing about 60%, as I haven't redownloaded and sewn together the audios I lost when My computer was wiped, including a series of EDA, and all the mcGann 1-50 releases, two davison and two colin baker releases. I'll make that a project for the weekend.). Actually, I may post it when I've finished the current batch I'm doing from today's sale.
    As for the things not syncing, I'm very confused as to why/how it happened. I sew the tracks together into 4 parts, and those files were all complete. And yet when they synced to my ipod, they were missing the start. Curious. I've re-edited those ones today anyway, just to make sure. And they've synced fine.

Oh yeah, and a tip you might find useful for organisational purposes. I changed the Album Artist/composer etc details to that of the doctor in the audio (or in the case of multi-doctor audios, either what ever doctor's timeline the audio is, or whatever doctor I have the least of). That way I can filter the stories a bit.

*edit*
    capturedp.png
    It still needs some work though. I may add the numbers in to re-order them, but seeing as most of them can be listened in any order, I may just make some playlists of any arcs.
    Also, there's a man named colin brockhurst who made some awesome alternative covers for a few of the early covers, to bring them in line with later releases. Unfortunately his site seems to be down, so here's one of his covers.
    cb16-storm-warning.jpg

• @Friar said: What program is that you're using?
    I would show you my library, but it's incomplete (missing about 60%, as I haven't redownloaded and sewn together the audios I lost when My computer was wiped, including a series of EDA, and all the mcGann 1-50 releases, two davison and two colin baker releases. I'll make that a project for the weekend.). Actually, I may post it when I've finished the current batch I'm doing from today's sale.
    As for the things not syncing, I'm very confused as to why/how it happened. I sew the tracks together into 4 parts, and those files were all complete. And yet when they synced to my ipod, they were missing the start. Curious. I've re-edited those ones today anyway, just to make sure. And they've synced fine.

Oh yeah, and a tip you might find useful for organisational purposes. I changed the Album Artist/composer etc details to that of the doctor in the audio (or in the case of multi-doctor audios, either what ever doctor's timeline the audio is, or whatever doctor I have the least of). That way I can filter the stories a bit.

*edit*
    capturedp.png
    Also, there's a man named colin brockhurst who made some awesome alternative covers for a few of the early covers, to bring them in line with later releases. Unfortunately his site seems to be down, so here's one of his covers.
    cb16-storm-warning.jpg

I use iTunes, heh. I use the MP3s and that's in one of those views, which I use to quickly select something and then go to cover flow. And that cover is quite amazing. But there's something really nice about the covers for some of the older ones, with Seasons of Fear being a particularly great one. And I change the album title of all my things to put it in order of proper release/range, thus the Doctor Who - Number you can see above, and the Doctor Who - The Companion Chronicles. For example, Doctor Who - The Companion Chronicles 4.03: The Prisoner of Peladon. The problem with this system, however, is that the album title requires scrolling on the iPod itself if it's a long title like The Time of the Daleks is.

So I decided to pass on The Pirates, Omega, and Creatures of Beauty for no particular reason. I'm looking at picking up Ace/Hex's arc soon, but only ones with a higher rating then a 7 on time scales or the trilogy ones, so pretty much like four of them before they go to trilogies.

Using my sleuthing, I found all of the cover art guy's covers here.

• When I met Sylvester McCoy I had no clue that he had been a Dr. Who (talk about embarrassing)

• Ah, I didn't know you could change the colour of the background!

I'm still debating whether or not to add numbers in, as most of the audios are stand alone, provided you know the companion. I may do what I did with the EDA's and the McGann series, and just make play-lists of individual series/arcs. That solves the problem of having to remember the order, and having to scroll to read the title. Have you set them as audiobook files, or kept them as music files? Putting them as audiobook files lets you rewind them by 30 seconds at a time (or any amount with the slider) which is handy, if someone comes and talks to you, whilst you fumble around to get it out of your pocket. Plus, it can remember your position in the audio if you stop playing it, or switch to other stuff like music.

As for the sales, I decided to miss the McCoy stuff. It's a safer bet to spend a fiver on something I'm 90% certain I'll enjoy. Instead, I bought "Omega" and "The one doctor". I'm looking forward to listening to "and the pirates", simply as it has colin singing.

@Pony Bone: You met Sylvester McCoy? Where?

• @Friar said: Ah, I didn't know you could change the colour of the background!

I'm still debating whether or not to add numbers in, as most of the audios are stand alone, provided you know the companion. I may do what I did with the EDA's and the McGann series, and just make play-lists of individual series/arcs. That solves the problem of having to remember the order, and having to scroll to read the title. Have you set them as audiobook files, or kept them as music files? Putting them as audiobook files lets you rewind them by 30 seconds at a time (or any amount with the slider) which is handy, if someone comes and talks to you, whilst you fumble around to get it out of your pocket. Plus, it can remember your position in the audio if you stop playing it, or switch to other stuff like music.

I prefer to keep them as regular music, partly so I don't feel so lame about having 0 music on my iPod (I BOUGHT IT TO STORE TELEVISION SHOWS). Also, I like having the individual tracks for various reasons, partly because I always rename them to match which gives me a mindless task to do whilst listening so I don't go frolicking on the internet.

Also, here's a Who fun fact: did you know that when Colin Baker was first fired in 1986 that one of John-Nathan Turner's ideas was to bring Patrick Troughton back for a season with Jamie ending with him regenerating into a woman, who would continue on until eventually turning into Jon Pertwee? Oh JNT you so silly.

Add Comment