User Avatar Image

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 36K users

So, Christmas is approaching, and with it a brand new Doctor who episode, and seeing as it's no longer series 5, I thought it would be time for a new, more generalised Doctor who thread!

For those who are new to the series, It features a humanoid Alien (timelord) called the Doctor, who travels in time and space in the TARDIS. He's the last of his race, and when he dies, he regenerates into a new person (up to 13 times). So far he has done so 11 times, with the current, 11th doctor being Matt Smith.
the11doctors.png

To kick things off, here's a trailer for the new Doctor who ipod/iphone/ipad/android game: The mazes of time!

4.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Ribs said: Also, here's a Who fun fact: did you know that when Colin Baker was first fired in 1986 that one of John-Nathan Turner's ideas was to bring Patrick Troughton back for a season with Jamie ending with him regenerating into a woman, who would continue on until eventually turning into Jon Pertwee? Oh JNT you so silly.



    In defence of JNT, that wasn't actually his idea. The idea that Patrick Troughton should return, then regenerate into a woman, was a proposal from Sydney Newman of what he would do if he could take over the show. Not sure where Frazer Hines and Jon Pertwee fit in, though. Casting a woman was one of the fake ideas that JNT used to threaten fans with, of course.

  • @FitzoliverJ said: In defence of JNT, that wasn't actually his idea. The idea that Patrick Troughton should return, then regenerate into a woman, was a proposal from Sydney Newman of what he would do if he could take over the show. Not sure where Frazer Hines and Jon Pertwee fit in, though. Casting a woman was one of the fake ideas that JNT used to threaten fans with, of course.

    What I meant by that was that the Woman could regenerate into someone else, etc. until eventually unveiling then they'd be turning into Jon Pertwee. It'd ruin hte continuity of, say, The Five Doctors where Five says he's regenerated four times, but who cares about that!

  • Lets just put the whole idea in the same pile as "Talking cabbage as an assistant!" and "Let's not make a Paul McGann series!".

    I'm currently working my way through my audio CD collection, and putting them in iTunes (which can handily stitch the tracks together if they are on a CD!). Zagreus is an awesome one to have a physical copy of. It's a cardboard foldy out thing with three discs. The first disc has a picture of the tardis behind it, the second: Jon Pertwee, and the third: The death zone. Plus, they gave each of the episodes names, which was nice (Wonderland, Heartland, and Wasteland)

  • @Friar said: Lets just put the whole idea in the same pile as "Talking cabbage as an assistant!" and "Let's not make a Paul McGann series!".

    I'm currently working my way through my audio CD collection, and putting them in iTunes (which can handily stitch the tracks together if they are on a CD!). Zagreus is an awesome one to have a physical copy of. It's a cardboard foldy out thing with three discs. The first disc has a picture of the tardis behind it, the second: Jon Pertwee, and the third: The death zone. Plus, they gave each of the episodes names, which was nice (Wonderland, Heartland, and Wasteland)

    Just so you know, the end of the second Divergent Season (the Next Life) is six parts/3 discs with a neat Box as well, if you want it physically because of that.

    Interestingly, there is a Five Six-parter called the Game that's on two discs, which is odd. I do not like how Neverland and Zagreus have the double-length episodes, and am considering editing in intro/outtro music myself. It makes more sense for, say, when it is done in the Lost Stories because it's sticking to the format Colin had, but when it's done for the main range it just is pointless.

  • @Ribs said: Just so you know, the end of the second Divergent Season (the Next Life) is six parts/3 discs with a neat Box as well, if you want it physically because of that.

    Interestingly, there is a Five Six-parter called the Game that's on two discs, which is odd. I do not like how Neverland and Zagreus have the double-length episodes, and am considering editing in intro/outtro music myself. It makes more sense for, say, when it is done in the Lost Stories because it's sticking to the format Colin had, but when it's done for the main range it just is pointless.

    Well, it with zagreus at least, it make sense. Each disc is pretty much completely different, focussing on a different doctor. I think it works well as a three parter. Although, I suppose you could split it.

    I've only got the Audios in the "Eighth Doctor collection" box set to copy across and edit now! Yay! Unfortunately, that's about 8 discs. ¬_¬

    As a side note, deciding on which cover art to use for some of the EDA two parters (I stick them together in one album/book) is HARD. Do I Go for cybermen or Killer Office block? Red dalek or green dalek? Decisions.

    Oh, and thanks for the tip off! That's an audio I'd have to buy seperately anyway (outside of the 12 releases a sub would get), so i'll endeavour to get a CD copy!

  • @Friar said: Well, it with zagreus at least, it make sense. Each disc is pretty much completely different, focussing on a different doctor. I think it works well as a three parter. Although, I suppose you could split it.

    I've only got the Audios in the "Eighth Doctor collection" box set to copy across and edit now! Yay! Unfortunately, that's about 8 discs. ¬_¬

    As a side note, deciding on which cover art to use for some of the EDA two parters (I stick them together in one album/book) is HARD. Do I Go for cybermen or Killer Office block? Red dalek or green dalek? Decisions.

    Oh, and thanks for the tip off! That's an audio I'd have to buy seperately anyway (outside of the 12 releases a sub would get), so i'll endeavour to get a CD copy!

    Again, I found The Four Doctors (or what I managed to listen to of it) to be incredibly boring and repetitive. So... yeah. Maybe waiting for a subscription isn't the wisest decision.

    I was actually considering getting the CD of Zagreus [so I'd have something to chuck at the wall after listening to it] because of the neat box.

  • @Ribs said: Again, I found The Four Doctors (or what I managed to listen to of it) to be incredibly boring and repetitive. So... yeah. Maybe waiting for a subscription isn't the wisest decision.

    I was actually considering getting the CD of Zagreus [so I'd have something to chuck at the wall after listening to it] because of the neat box.


    Well, it works out around the same price as just getting the McGann audios from that part of the range, but I also get a few others too. Plus, "The four doctors" is worth a fair bet on eBay too!

    And zagreus is awesome if you give it a chance. It definately needs several listens to appreciate it fully though.

    In other news: I finally finished reorganising my collection! Yay! 41 Audioplays, 5.68 GB, 3.2days worth of stuff. Eep.

    Oh yeah, and McGann seems to have been engraved in Mount Rushmore. Why has no-one noticed this?!
    Mount-Rushmore.jpg
    Once again, the BBC's marketing budget blows all others out of the water.

    And whilst looking for a picture of Paul recording to use as the cover for my eighth doctor collection bonus CD album, I stumbled across this.
    paul_mcgann.jpg

  • I love how you figured that was worthy of posting here. Anywho, I'm sort of just realizing that listening to one audio a day means I have only 11 left, and I was intending for it to last me the few weeks while I buy some DVDs and Pick up the first batch of Fourth Doctor content.

    Also: this picture should work:
    mcgann_mcoy.jpg
    or this one:
    mccoy_mcgann.jpg
    Both are from the recording of 'The Minister of Chance', and are about as good as you'll get.

  • @Ribs said: If you ever see him again, get him to sign a picture of Jon Pertwee as 'The Doctor'. It'd be hilarious.

    :D Well, fortunately I have to exercise a lot of tact when dealing with people in production. Although in the brief time I spoke to him, I got the impression he was quite funny and didn't mind people taking the piss out of him.

  • @Ribs said: I love how you figured that was worthy of posting here. Anywho, I'm sort of just realizing that listening to one audio a day means I have only 11 left, and I was intending for it to last me the few weeks while I buy some DVDs and Pick up the first batch of Fourth Doctor content.

    Also: this picture should work:
    mcgann_mcoy.jpg
    or this one:
    mccoy_mcgann.jpg
    Both are from the recording of 'The Minister of Chance', and are about as good as you'll get.

    That's the one I ended up choosing. Last time I used this image: paul-mcgann.JPG, as the photo's you'd posted hadn't been taken.
    I finally got round to re-arranging my DVD/CD collection (instead of a nice organised row with a bunch dumped on my table). The good thing is that It doesn't fit on my shelf properly, so I've had to double stack it. But I can't put it in chronological order that way, due to the size of "The keys to time", as it leaves a large gap. I'll just have to go out and buy some 1-3 DVD's! Truly a shame. Oh, and I now another series of McGann audios on CD to make them stack properly to the height of the Boxset I have. Yay!

    In other news, they've updated the mini-London at Legoland windsor. It now features an Ood, A silent (I think), Amy, The doctor and a silent. It also has a silent.
    8hbsu.jpg
    This was what it was when I was last there:
    1335080158_74d0011e06.jpg

Add Comment