User Avatar Image

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 22.7K users

So, Christmas is approaching, and with it a brand new Doctor who episode, and seeing as it's no longer series 5, I thought it would be time for a new, more generalised Doctor who thread!

For those who are new to the series, It features a humanoid Alien (timelord) called the Doctor, who travels in time and space in the TARDIS. He's the last of his race, and when he dies, he regenerates into a new person (up to 13 times). So far he has done so 11 times, with the current, 11th doctor being Matt Smith.
the11doctors.png

To kick things off, here's a trailer for the new Doctor who ipod/iphone/ipad/android game: The mazes of time!

4.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Ribs said: Herecy! WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU THAT

Earthshock is the first classic story I saw! It's... okay. Because of aforementioned first story-ness, I did not know how it ended, so yeah. I'm holding off on a purchase as it's a likely cantidate for a Special Edition, which is also why I'm holding off on the other McCoy that's out that I want, The Curse of Fenric.

I've already seen Earthshock. It was the first one I saw too. Well, Part one was (Part one was given away free with a newspaper The Sun). I can't remember much of it, other then the ending, so I'm hoping it'll be almost like anew episode when I rewatch it.

As for the heroes boxset, I found that it lost it's appeal and seemed really slow when you knew what was going to happen, and the answer to every twist. Plus, I think 5 doctor who serials outweighs 4 series of Heroes! Even though I've already seen three of them (both the manequin mania ones, but I wanted to complete my collection of regeneration/new doctor episodes. I just need "the war games", "Planet of the spiders (Already seen), and "the 10th planet" now.

• @Friar said: I've already seen Earthshock. It was the first one I saw too. Well, Part one was (Part one was given away free with a newspaper The Sun). I can't remember much of it, other then the ending, so I'm hoping it'll be almost like anew episode when I rewatch it.

As for the heroes boxset, I found that it lost it's appeal and seemed really slow when you knew what was going to happen, and the answer to every twist. Plus, I think 5 doctor who serials outweighs 4 series of Heroes! Even though I've already seen three of them (both the manequin mania ones, but I wanted to complete my collection of regeneration/new doctor episodes. I just need "the war games", "Planet of the spiders (Already seen), and "the 10th planet" now.

But The Special Edition of the TV Movie has to be essential to every McGann fan!

Also, you own the Twin Dilemma? Why? It's the Colin Baker serial I legitimately only want because of the special feature about the Comics.

• Anyone want to help me organize the pre-revival Netflix episode packs(that mimic the DVD releases) into something resembling a chronological order? :O

• @Rather Dashing said: Anyone want to help me organize the pre-revival Netflix episode packs(that mimic the DVD releases) into something resembling a chronological order? :O

here's what I'm using http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials

• @Rather Dashing said: Anyone want to help me organize the pre-revival Netflix episode packs(that mimic the DVD releases) into something resembling a chronological order? :O

Well, as I'm sure you know, 108 episodes featuring the First and Second Doctors are missing. 2 from Two have been animated, and 2 from One are coming next year as well. The difference between the classic series and the new series is they don't really have an arc. They're done as serials, which are mostly self contained. Occasionally, there is a strong narrative link such as The Key To Time Season, which is Six Stories all about finding the Six key to Times, or the Trial of a Time Lord, which is 3 stories with a framing device that gets two episodes to itself at the end.

To be honest, you can just hop around the classic series. There are some mini-arcs that still need to be released, most notably that a good portion of the Third Doctor and Master Arc are yet to be released.

In regards to streaming, (going completely off memory, some have probably been removed by now/I forgot some) the order is the Aztecs, The Mind Robber, Spearhead from Space, The Three Doctors (the sound is off), The Green Death, The Ark in Space (this is both Russell T Davies' and Steven Moffat's Favorite Story Period), a few of the Key To Time season but not the whole arc that I can't remember, City of Death, The Visitation, Earthshock, Caves of Androzani (this is considered the best story ever, and was humorously followed by what is considered the worst story ever), and The Curse of Fenric. The vast majority of these stories are considered among the best of their time, and the only one that's sub-par is The Visitation and possibly the bits of the Key to Time.

Nothing about order, but dailymotion has some of the best fan reconstructions of the lost episodes that I've ever seen. Just search for lost episodes and they'll come up.

• @Ribs said: But The Special Edition of the TV Movie has to be essential to every McGann fan!

Also, you own the Twin Dilemma? Why? It's the Colin Baker serial I legitimately only want because of the special feature about the Comics.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. It's available free (digitally) somewhere. I think on MSN video, or seesaw. That was also my first experience with Colin, so I avoided his serials like the plague for some time.
    As for the McGann movie special edition, It's on my "To get list" when it drops to £15. Considering I already own the movie, and the other two titles are available to watch on the internet for free, I'm reluctant to spend a lot of money on the set.

Oh yeah, I listened to "Loups Garoux" today. I hated it. It was confusing as to who the characters were, and what their motives were. It definitely needs relistening to at some point.

And I listened to "The apocalpse element" the other day too. That was confusing for the first two parts, but after that, it improved infinitely.

• @Friar said: Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. It's available free (digitally) somewhere. I think on MSN video, or seesaw. That was also my first experience with Colin, so I avoided his serials like the plague for some time.
    As for the McGann movie special edition, It's on my "To get list" when it drops to £15. Considering I already own the movie, and the other two titles are available to watch on the internet for free, I'm reluctant to spend a lot of money on the set.

Oh yeah, I listened to "Loups Garoux" today. I hated it. It was confusing as to who the characters were, and what their motives were. It definitely needs relistening to at some point.

And I listened to "The apocalpse element" the other day too. That was confusing for the first two parts, but after that, it improved infinitely.

Heh, US and AUS have the movie individually but because it was such a big deal it was the price of a 3-disc release, so I just netflixed it and will buy when it's cheap.

Oh, I listened to a few audios-

Bloodtide - Meh.

Bernice Summerfiedl and the Criminal Code - Cool.

Seasons of Fear - Extra meh.

First half of Embrace the Darkness - *hides under covers*

Add Comment