User Avatar Image

Rate the Last Game You Finished

posted by DrRocketGenius on - last edited - Viewed by 4.1K users

Title says it all. Rate the last video game you completed.

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future - 9.5/10

835 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Darksiders -- 8/10

Pretty cool game. It's like The Legend of Zelda, if instead of Hyrule you have the post-apocalyptic hellscape that once was Earth, instead of Link you have a Horseman of the Apocalypse, and instead of the hookshot you have... um, well okay, you still have the hookshot.

Pros:
    -It may be a more mature Zelda clone, but it does a pretty great job at it.
    -Really cool environments, character and creature design, and just the premise of fighting off angels and demons after the end of the world is great.
    -Mark Hamill is a creepy ghost guy!
    -Great boss fights (mostly). Riding around on a flaming horse fighting a giant sandworm, or throwing train cars at a huge insecty thing, woo!

Cons:
    -Some enemies just take too many hits. Other enemies are going to hit you no matter how good/practiced you are. Playing on the hardest difficulty has enemies that go from being no threat at all immediately followed by something that can kill you in two hits.
    -While the premise is really great, the voice acting was often not that spectacular, and story bits were sparse. You end up making a lot of assumptions about things that aren't really explained well.
    -Not quite as good as a Zelda game, but then that's asking a lot!

• @Chyron8472 said: Mass Effect for PC from Steam.

8.7/10

Pros
    Solid gameplay and combat interface
    Fantastic voiceover work (bar none, it's excellent)
    Highly customizable main character appearance and combat abilities
    Unlockable achievements promoting multiple playthroughs
    Story-affecting dialogue decisions
    Quick-Save option makes manually saving progress near effortless

Cons
    Minor glitches (apparently fewer than on 360)
    Repetitive appearance to sidequest areas

Mass Effect 2 for PC from Steam.

9/10

Pros
    (see above)
    also:
    Decisions from ME1 carry over to ME2.
    Combat refined so powers are more effective / more fun
    More team characters than ME1.

Cons
    Fewer sidequests than ME1.
    Whereas ME1 has a defined ending, the end of ME2 has somewhat of an Empire Strikes Back feel to it.
    Story of ME1 is more mysterious and sinister.

• Red Dead Redemption

Its good but not a very long game, theres not much to do after you complete it

Bad things are that unlike gta you cant drive trains, no cars even thought you see them around every now and then.

Its a good way to teach people whats acceptable and whats not...

Abusing animals is the thing i hated the most, (kicking dogs, Skinning animals etc)

• LA Noire - 7/10

It started as a promising game, but then it kept going. And going. And going. It's too overly long with not enough difference between the cases to make it worth playing. Not a bad game, but... I'd wait til the price inevitably goes down.

• @DrRocketGenius said: LA Noire - 7/10

It started as a promising game, but then it kept going. And going. And going. It's too overly long with not enough difference between the cases to make it worth playing. Not a bad game, but... I'd wait til the price inevitably goes down.

It just gets longer. When you replay after downloading new cases, all the DLC cases get put into the storyline. Personally, I think that's a pretty cool feature of the game...but for people that think it drags on... it just gets worse haha

• Sam and Max: Hit the Road

Loved it. Just brilliant. The voices were great, the jokes were great, the puzzles were hard, but I could still get them (only used a walkthrough once). Sadly, that's the last of all the Sam & Max stuff I haven't yet seen... :(

• @DrRocketGenius said: LA Noire - 7/10

Part of me thought it was too short, but at the same time I understand what you're saying. It could've done with some variation in gameplay, the action sequences were a touch underdeveloped.

• Red Dead Redemption - 10/10, and becomes my 2nd or 3rd favorite game ever.

But not because of the authored narrative. The cutscenes and linear story that Rockstar put in there are by far the worst parts of the game. It's amazing in spite of that (and it's not like many games get that right anyway).

@Johro said: It just gets longer. When you replay after downloading new cases, all the DLC cases get put into the storyline. Personally, I think that's a pretty cool feature of the game...but for people that think it drags on... it just gets worse haha

Can you play the DLC cases at any time if you download them after finishing the game, or do they actually have to come within the context of the game, meaning you have to replay the entire game when you get an additional DLC?

• @JuntMonkey said: Can you play the DLC cases at any time if you download them after finishing the game, or do they actually have to come within the context of the game, meaning you have to replay the entire game when you get an additional DLC?

No, there's a Case Select screen.

Add Comment