User Avatar Image

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 42.4K users

So, Christmas is approaching, and with it a brand new Doctor who episode, and seeing as it's no longer series 5, I thought it would be time for a new, more generalised Doctor who thread!

For those who are new to the series, It features a humanoid Alien (timelord) called the Doctor, who travels in time and space in the TARDIS. He's the last of his race, and when he dies, he regenerates into a new person (up to 13 times). So far he has done so 11 times, with the current, 11th doctor being Matt Smith.
the11doctors.png

To kick things off, here's a trailer for the new Doctor who ipod/iphone/ipad/android game: The mazes of time!

4.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Darth Marsden said: Yes. We must all bow in awe to The Rory. He's like The Many, only more awesome.

Anyone know when Torchwood is gonna start airing? It'll make a good stop-gap while we're waiting for more Who, and the BBC's having a hissy fit over when to start showing it. The week after the States?

The day after, 9pm on Saturday I believe. July 8th. We get it on the 7th.

• @Ribs said: The day after, 9pm on Saturday I believe. July 8th. We get it on the 7th.

Boo. :p
    I saw it on the front of a TV mag today. It was followed by the cpation "Jack and Gwen's American Adventure". ¬_¬

• @Ribs said: The day after, 9pm on Saturday I believe. July 8th. We get it on the 7th.

Cool. Thanks.

If you're a grown-up, the mid-series break in Who doesn't seem all that bad, since we have Torchwood to tide us over. It's the little ones I feel bad for. Although, to be honest, Nu-Who's seemed less and less aimed at children as it's gone on. Am I alone in thinking that?

• @Darth Marsden said: Cool. Thanks.

If you're a grown-up, the mid-series break in Who doesn't seem all that bad, since we have Torchwood to tide us over. It's the little ones I feel bad for. Although, to be honest, Nu-Who's seemed less and less aimed at children as it's gone on. Am I alone in thinking that?

Stereotypical pirate episode says hi.
    But yeah, I think the thinking is "the kids who were fans in 2005 are now 6 years older", so they think they can do more mature things. Like repeated sex jokes involving bunk beds.

• Hi, stereotypical pirate episode!

I'm not saying the show being a little more mature is a bad thing, I was just noting it. My biggest problem is how freakin' complicated it is now. I miss the stand-alone episode days. Now everything's gotta have call-backs or be part of the grand picture. What's wrong with a little fun now and then? :(

• I absolutely hate Torchwood becuase of it's overtness. I understand for adults, but adult doesn't mean bring up sex every other line and unveil that the guy you stole the identity of was apparently gay which has no consequence on anything. I wish that a decent network had picked up the show, but it's one of the networks that lets people curse and be nude and stuff without consequence. Also, it's commercial-less, which could mean 60 minute episodes.

• @Ribs said: unveil that the guy you stole the identity of was apparently gay which has no consequence on anything.

It added a romantic sub plot to fill up sometime. Plus he can be gay with out needing a plot reason.

• @coolsome said: It added a romantic sub plot to fill up sometime. Plus he can be gay with out needing a plot reason.

Yes, but I'd relate it to the revelation the Doctor showed up to Elton's house on the day his mother died in Love and Monsters in that it was a pointless reveal that actually has no impact on the episode.

• @Ribs said: I absolutely hate Torchwood becuase of it's overtness. I understand for adults, but adult doesn't mean bring up sex every other line and unveil that the guy you stole the identity of was apparently gay which has no consequence on anything.

Sounds like you've only watched series one. The second series and Children of Earth were much better in handling their adult elements.

• @Ribs said: Yes, but I'd relate it to the revelation the Doctor showed up to Elton's house on the day his mother died in Love and Monsters in that it was a pointless reveal that actually has no impact on the episode.

That one I agree with you.

Add Comment