User Avatar Image

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 32.4K users

So, Christmas is approaching, and with it a brand new Doctor who episode, and seeing as it's no longer series 5, I thought it would be time for a new, more generalised Doctor who thread!

For those who are new to the series, It features a humanoid Alien (timelord) called the Doctor, who travels in time and space in the TARDIS. He's the last of his race, and when he dies, he regenerates into a new person (up to 13 times). So far he has done so 11 times, with the current, 11th doctor being Matt Smith.
the11doctors.png

To kick things off, here's a trailer for the new Doctor who ipod/iphone/ipad/android game: The mazes of time!

4.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Darth Marsden said: Sounds like you've only watched series one. The second series and Children of Earth were much better in handling their adult elements.

I completely disagree. I watched two episodes from Series One (The One Just Before Cyberwoman and Captain Jack Harkness) and two from Series Two (the first two with Martha) and the first two of Children of Earth, did not care for any of it. Shows like these are why we can't have good things. It's a shame the better Doctor Who Spinoff that is Produced by RTD cannot be continued, because I much preferred having that.

• You really should have stuck with Children of Earth, it got amazingly good around episode 4. I hear there's still a shrine in Cardiff Bay.

But if you're not into the show, I can't force you. I just think the more mature themes were better handled the longer the show went on.

For what it's worth, the trailer for Miracle Day didn't inspire me with all that much confidence, but I will still watch it (along with most of us here, I'd wager) and add my thoughts.

• @Darth Marsden said: You really should have stuck with Children of Earth, it got amazingly good around episode 4. I hear there's still a shrine in Cardiff Bay.

But if you're not into the show, I can't force you.

I read the summary of COE anyway. It's depressing because it can be depressing and they have killed off 3/4 the main cast by now.

• I could say the same about most modern films and TV, if I wanted to be cynical. But hey ho.

• @Darth Marsden said: I could say the same about most modern films and TV, if I wanted to be cynical. But hey ho.

The difference being the amount of time it takes to do so. In Lost, for example, Nine of the original thirteen cast members were still regular cast members in the last season.(In fact, everyone eventually showed up but that's just Lost being Lost) Despite a few people dying, it was done slowly and they knew it was ending, which RTD seems to be unable to cope with going by the End of Time so I'd expect Torchwood to keep killing off most of it's new characters a season until it's cancelled.

• @Ribs said: The difference being the amount of time it takes to do so. In Lost, for example, Nine of the original thirteen cast members were still regular cast members in the last season.(In fact, everyone eventually showed up but that's just Lost being Lost) Despite a few people dying, it was done slowly and they knew it was ending, which RTD seems to be unable to cope with going by the End of Time so I'd expect Torchwood to keep killing off most of it's new characters a season until it's cancelled.

I think part of the reason for that is the budget. If a star wants to leave, they're constrained on how much of a financial incentive (i.e. bigger salaries) they can give. Whereas the big US networks can.

Personally i'm a huge fan of torchwood series 2/3. They managed to tackle some really mature themed, and I felt they did it really well. When tosh died, that was the first time I'd ever cried at a TV show. Ianto too.

I'll admit their were a fair few dodgy moments (like the majority of series 1), but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• I feel bad now, because I cry far too much at TV shows. The Scrubs finale, for example, was so un-sad yet sad at the same time.

• @Alcoremortis said: Because Rory is now awesome.

tumblr_lmwcddnXcO1qhq27ao1_500.gif

*See's slide saying that everyone but Rory has been astonished by the Tardis*

WRONG! WRONG I TELL YOU! Wilfred Mott was not astonished by the Tardis, he only thought it could be more clean!

• @Remolay said: *See's slide saying that everyone but Rory has been astonished by the Tardis*

WRONG! WRONG I TELL YOU! Wilfred Mott was not astonished by the Tardis, he only thought it could be more clean!

Wilfred Mott is Rory from the future

• Rory killed the doctor?!
    Wait, does this mean donna is the doctor/rivers daughter?

Add Comment