User Avatar Image

Was anyone else disappointed with Season 3's ending? (SPOILERS)

posted by Superninfreak on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users

Let me just start by saying that while I haven't posted much, I love Sam and Max. Some episodes (S1E4, S1E5, and S2E4 especially) were just brilliant. I also loved Season 3.

Until I got to the ending that is.

I had two major problems with it.

1. Max went completely out of character. After Max has been built up as evil for the entire series, it's not believable that he would die just so Sybil wouldn't have to give birth outside of a hospital. I don't think Max would even care if Sybil died, honestly.

2. Girl Stinky died despite the fact that she's alive in the future. This was a pretty glaring plot hole.

The worst part about it though is that I can SEE a brilliant ending in Season 3. Had they not made those mistakes, I would want that to be the finale of everything Sam and Max, just because of how beautiful an ending it would have been.

#1 could have easily been fixed if it were Sam who Max died for instead of Sybil. Sam is the only person I think Max would die for, and it would still get across the point that Max isn't completely irredeemable.

So yeah, thoughts?

67 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @DontEatRawHagis said: The Penal Zone seemed to be a nice place to spend a weekend. Even after Sam and Max send Skun-ka'pe back into it, in "The Penal Zone", he comes escapes without any mention of how he did it, though I could have missed that bit of information.

It's actually explained: Papierwaite stole the toybox, which was powering the new Penal Zone.
    (I don't think they explained how Skun-ka'pe escaped the first time, though).

• @Tilan said: It's actually explained: Papierwaite stole the toybox, which was powering the new Penal Zone.
    (I don't think they explained how Skun-ka'pe escaped the first time, though).

Oh, okay.

This is my last 2 cents:

I liked the series when the main plot did not come out until the end of the season. Season 3 revolves around the toys that connects everything, but I liked back in Seasons 1 and 2 when i went from Mobsters to Giant Evil Robot Lincoln to the Matrix.

Season 3 felt more like Skun'kape attacks with toys to old film with toys to Skun'kape attacks with Toys but is foiled by Sammun-Mak who has toys to Sam apocalypse to Cthulu with toys.

• If I had a main complaint about the ending and episode five it would be that it was too disconnected from the rest of the season. Without the sudden Max turning into a daikaiju the season could of just ended there. I haven't played the game in a while but Superego didn't really have any role in the events of the previous episodes.

• I found season three to be quite refreshing compared to the first two in graphics and gameplay and found the cliffhangers and music cues rather perfect, BUT the only problem (at least from my point-of-view) was that I had got this game to cheer myself up after my dad died, so WHAT do you (yes, you Telltale) end this incredible five-part game with... killing the one reason I ever got into S&M! (I still can't watch the end credits without wailing.)

Great, now I have something else to add to my "therapy bills" list. I hate you yet love you at the same time Telltale!

And don't think I didn't see BOTH of your tagged-on last-minute "Don-Bluthy" type endings. They were good but I still am scarred for life from his (and many other animated) films.

But still, I love what you've been doing with this series and when you do make/release seasons four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, etc. I'll be ready with my PayPal on standby, and please try to end with some more "heart-warming" not "oh-my-god-I-want-to-commit-suicide-after-playing-this-y", especially since there's a one to two-year gap between seasons.

EDIT: I guess you were trying to make the series more emotional or, dare-I-say-it, "human", but this seemed like quite a stretch... I'm still crying over a 3D bunny. Thanks Telltale... NOT!

• Yeah but it hurts so good

• Did everyone forget the part of the ending where the time traveling elevator arrived from nowhere and out popped a Max from an alternate reality? While yes,the Save Sybil part seemed REALLY out of place for a character like Max,you have to remember that Sam isn't his only friend and that despite his sociopathic tendencies,he still chooses to do the right thing in the end. Morals can sometimes be hard to notice under a personality that seems not at all concerned about morals.In other words,Max is more chaotic good than anything,he does the right thing,he just does it HIS way. I personally liked the ending because at that point,despite the silly factor still there,it was obvious that things had gotten serious. (A first for the series considering that all other season finales before this still had a normal intro.) But instead of closing the series for good,they make it so that if they want to,they can make another season.That last part after the credits was obviously done for the purpose of making a happy ending fitting for the series (I.E. Some space thing from nowhere restoring most if not all of the status quo) as well as opening potential for new seasons to come,just don't expect any news about it for a while.

• Something that annoyed me was at the end of ep 5 where New Max comes in i hate that!!! we went through 3 seasons with old Max and now theres a new Max. Here's how i would have ended season 3 when you see Sam look out at the statue he sees a flashing star but then its crashing down into him. Sam jumps out of the way and then it turns out its Skunkape's ship and its broken and run down then Stinky runs out of it and says im going back to fast food and goes back to the diner. Sam walks inside and sees Skunkape in one of the cages. Sam sees Max back to normal on the floor. Sam walks up to Max and sees him and a tear comes out of his eye and he thinks back that this all started with Skunkape invading earth and he shouts at Skunkape ''ILL KILL YOU FOR WHAT YOU DONE TO MY LITTLE BUDDY'' Then he looks down at Max again he puts his head down and then Max burps in his face and laughs then Sam says little buddy??? Max gets up and says ''ha ha you got my stinky breath'' and Sam says u got me buckethead and Max says ''Sam where have i been for these last 2 weeks i had an appointment to throw Jimmy Two Teeth out our window'' and Sam says ''you crack me up little buddy''. Sam says wait! Jimmy was in his rat hole when the buliding turned into the new Penal Zone! Max says oops looks like we got a new crime fighting adventure filled next case.They walk out with Skunkape shouting SAM MAX U FORGOT TO LET ME OUT hello??? guys. Then Max walks in and says Does Skunkape Want The Banana? and Max holds a Banana out in front of Skunkape then Sam shouts COME ON BUCKETHEAD!!! WE GOT A CASE so thats how i would end the story.

• Commas are your little buddies.

• @Sausy Gibbon said: If I had a main complaint about the ending and episode five it would be that it was too disconnected from the rest of the season. Without the sudden Max turning into a daikaiju the season could of just ended there. I haven't played the game in a while but Superego didn't really have any role in the events of the previous episodes.

if u think about it he might of had something to do the plot of the penal zone because in ep 5 we see that super ego had a astro projection toy in max's brain and he could of used that to tell that skunkape was coming and anyway if the tumor was still in max it would have still blown up

• @ryannumber1gamer said: something that annoyed me was at the end of ep 5 where new max comes in i hate that!!! we went through 3 seasons with old max amd now theres a new max heres how i would have ended season 3 when u see sam look out at the statue he sees a flashing star but then its crashing down into him sam jumps out of the way and then it turns out its skunkapes ship and its broken and run down then stinky runs out of it and says im goin back to fast food and goes back to the diner sam walks inside and sees skunkape in one of the cages and sees max back to normal on the floor sam walks up to max and sees him and a tear comes out of his eye and he thinks back that this all started with skunkape invading earth and he shouts at skunkape ILL KILL YOU FOR WHAT YOU DONE TO MY LITTLE BUDDY and then he looks down at max again he puts his head down and then max burps in his face and laughs then sam says little buddy??? and max gets up and says ha u got my stinky breath and sam says u got me buckethead and max says sam where have i been for these last 2 weeks i had an appointment to throw jimmy two teeth out our window and sam says you crack me up little buddy and sam says wait! jimmy was in his rat hole when the buliding turned into the new penal zone and max says oops looks like our new crime fighting adventure filled next case and and they walk out with skunkape shouting SAM MAX U FORGOT TO LET ME OUT hello??? guys then max walks in and says now whos knocking who out and hits skunkape with a baseball bat then sam shouts COME ON BUCKETHEAD!!! WE GOT A CASE so thats how i would end the story.

They're the same Max they just have different recent memories.

Add Comment