User Avatar Image

Worth Watching TV Shows

posted by Profanity on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

Hello.

So, you probably know that it's "off-season" for most (all?) of the currently running shows. That's why I want to hear some good shows, that I might not be aware off.

So far my list would be:
LOST
Dexter
X-Files
House
Big Bang Theory
Mad Men
The Office (It's horrible, don't even know why I keep watching it)
Supernatural
Numb3rs

I think that's it, if I'm not forgetting anything.

Enlighten me!

128 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • ^An argument over if Brittish and American comedy were better than each other.
    I forgot a few more shows:
    The IT Crowd
    The Daily Show (forgot it seeing it doesn't air on free to air TV in Australia, and I'm not getting pay TV who do they think I am John D. Rockerfeller)
    The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson
    edit: Lead Balloon

• better off ted...

If you haven't seen it GO WATCH IT NOW!!!! It is the funniest show I think I've ever seen...

If you're interested in BBC at all, netflix has some great BBC shows...

"keeping up appearances"

One of the funniest British comedies ever...

"All Creatures Great and Small"

This show bored me at first because I dropped in 2nd season when I first saw it... Starts from season 1, and watch at least 2-3 episodes, it's about James Harriet the famous English vet... great cast, funny writing, great stories, just a great show all around, especially if you like animals.

Warning: The actors have been known to on occasion actually stick their entire arms up cow butts, as that is sometimes how a country vet would diagnose an animal... be prepared for one of the most disgusting sights you will ever see when this happens :D

• @Sausy Gibbon said: ^An argument over if Brittish and American comedy were better than each other.
    I forgot a few more shows:
    The IT Crowd
    The Daily Show (forgot it seeing it doesn't air on free to air TV in Australia, and I'm not getting pay TV who do they think I am John D. Rockerfeller)
    The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson

Oh yeah. I had to change my mind greatly on that. British and American humor are still pretty different from each other, but either pure English (Monty Python*) or pure American (Everybody Loves Raymond) shows can NOT offer creative, witty humor in a continous fashion. At both sides of the spectrum, the extreme points fail to impress. When you have real people in front of the camera, acting as characters living in a near-real setting, wacky characterization-less random humor does stick out too much, and when you only give importance to personal life clichés too much, it just gives nothing of an interest -such comedies only rely on the familiarity and warmth of the characters, but it just wears way quickly on me. All in all, both styles have to borrow stuff from each other (the first three seasons of My Name is Earl did it SO well) and furthermore, because of that, it all boils down to the individual user (let it be the director or writer or maybe even actor) rather than the collective sense of humor of an entire nation.

I was dumb and inexperienced in that arguement, but at least good looking enough to feel no form of an embarassment.

*We all have favorite Monty Python sketches and quotes in our heads and the show did good, but to be fair the television show was just full of pure nonsense and weird timing pretending to be "humor", with a very few actually funny sequences thrown here and there.

• ^I agree, I like both instances. One of the things that usually draws me back from American comedy is how they have to make most of there characters likable in some way. I like how in alot of Brittish comedy they make they're characters faltable and in an unflattering matter. An example would be Getting On and Scrubs, where the first is a more realistic Brittish hospital while the latter is a polished Hollywood style set. I like how these shows are based in some kind of plausable reality even high concept shows like Red Dwarf. Brittain makes some pretty bad shows as well like Miranda and Teenage Kicks aswell as some mediocre shows that run to long, I'm talking about you My Family.

• @corruptbiggins said:
    Selection of cancelled/finished shows that I like (not all, or I'll be here all night):

Lost
    All Star Trek series (DS9 especially)
    All Stargate series
    X-Files
    Quantum Leap
    Sliders (at least up to season 3, have never seen beyond that)

Those are all good. As far as Sliders goes, I enjoyed the first 2 seasons but it got pretty bad after the professor (John-Rhys Davies) left the show and Kari Wuhrer became a regular. As for Star Trek, I liked them all except Voyager (felt too much like a rehash of TNG with less talented writers / actors). The first 2 seasons of TNG are a little dodgy, but that show gets really good after that so it's worth sticking with.

I also second the Babylon 5 suggestion somebody made. And absolutely don't miss The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. and Firefly (both excellent, excellent shows that were canceled after only 1 season...).

Also, to everyone who likes X-Files, go check out Fringe. One of my favorite current shows and it makes quite a few nods to X-Files (there's a pretty obvious one right in the show's title sequence).

If you enjoy REALLY old sci-fi TV shows, be sure to check out The Twilight Zone (the 60's one) and The Outer Limits (also, the old one). Great classics. And most TZ episodes are short (20-25 minutes in length) so quite easily digestible.

I'll shut up now.

• Babylon 5 (I recommend and I've never finished watching the first season, which I've heard is the worst.)
    Sliders
    Black Books
    Heroes season 1

Japanese section:
    Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
    Kamen Rider OOO
    Kamen Rider W
    Kimegure Orange Road
    Ultraseven X

• @Remolay said: Babylon 5 (I recommend and I've never finished watching the first season, which I've heard is the worst.)
    Sliders
    Black Books
    Heroes season 1

Japanese section:
    Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
    Kamen Rider OOO
    Kamen Rider W
    Kimegure Orange Road
    Ultraseven X

Heh, I avoided mentioning Heroes because I'd get heckled because of it. I didn't want to put Season One because I personally preferred Volume Four the most, but it really is very enjoyable. Company Man is one of the best pieces of television ever, and I've watched it so many times and still always enjoy it.

• I enjoyed the second volume of Heroes the most. Volume three was so indescribably goddamn awful, never really checked volume four. I have never wanted to check anyway. Volume two is where Heroes ends for me and I prefer it that way -if you don't count Sylar's reemerging of powers ultimately being a never used cliffhanger by that logic.

• @Falanca said: I enjoyed the second volume of Heroes the most. Volume three was so indescribably goddamn awful, never really checked volume four. I have never wanted to check anyway. Volume two is where Heroes ends for me and I prefer it that way -if you don't count Sylar's reemerging of powers ultimately being a never used cliffhanger by that logic.

Wait, what? I enjoyed Season Two, but I think it'll only be good once someone manages to edit out the wonder twins plotline. Volume Three did something stupid, but Volume Four is really enjoyable if you ask me.

Add Comment