User Avatar Image

Ideas that you were beaten to/weren't aware has been done.

posted by tredlow on - last edited - Viewed by 1K users

Ever had an awesome idea for a movie/game/TV show/comic/invention, only to realize that someone has beaten you to it or it has been done before?

I had an idea of a movie where a guy journeys from heaven to hell to rescue his wife. I was shocked and saddened when I found out that it was a novel AND a movie adaptation already.

33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Guinea said: I thought it would be cool to have a movie character realize he's a movie character, and trying to break out of it. I forgot which movie that was but it's basically the same idea, just that the guy is a character in a book someone is writing at the moment and plans to have him die.

Stranger Than Fiction, starring Will Ferrell. Awesome film, in my opinion. Was expecting more of a comedy, though.

• The main idea of the Doctor Who episode "The Doctor's Wife" was something I'd been toying around with for a while, though Neil Gaiman's experience may have caused his script to be superior to what I could have done.

A short story that the plot of the movie Heaven had already covered got to the writing stage, though my story involved a rogue, enraged cop going half-Taxi Driver, half Bad Lieutenant at a mall. It was a bit Port Arthur massacre, but I didn't work a shooting for the fun of it; I had a point. I still want to do this one, but it needs a re-working.

There are more, but I let those ideas die.

• I wanted to rip off the simpsons and become famous but Seth Macfarlane beat me to it.

• I wanted to be the most awesome person on the forums, but coolsome beat me to it.

• Optical fiber.
    I was working on a kind of telephone-wire that works with laser and has some sort of very thin.and flexible mirror in it to reflect the laser beam containing the data, Only to figure out it has been invented.

And the idea of travelling through time by drinking a cup of coffee.
    The Iranian historical comedy TV series, Qáhvé-yé Tálkh (The Bitter Coffee), beat me to it. :(
    Ghave_talkh_poster.jpg

• The iSlate. Totally had that idea a year before the iPad. Yup.

• It happens all the time when people try to understand something , or even not trying to understand something really deep, or intellectual... they do understand it. Some of the most advanced topics known to man, unknown to man, are already known through symbolism and metaphor. Just watch music videos and look at art work, and you'll be amazed. But I'm not surprised personally as many artists with sudden realizations have gone on to prove their self as famous scientist, or visionaries.

Every idea already exist, you're actually a super super genius, you just don't know it, every idea throughout your life exists, it just has a different face, if you will.

I know you don't believe me, but this is not a musing thread, so let's leave it there. But you've all had brilliant ideas, even if you're not aware of it.

• I wanted to start a band named Burnt Toast. Burnt Toast now exists.

I wanted to make a comic of a super hero where all you could see of him was his cape, because I couldn't draw anything else. The name of this comic? The Cape.

• @Alcoremortis said: The iSlate. Totally had that idea a year before the iPad. Yup.

The name sounds like 'isolate', which is still better than iPad.

@Alcoremortis said:
    I wanted to make a comic of a super hero where all you could see of him was his cape, because I couldn't draw anything else. The name of this comic? The Cape.

Just call it "Cape" or "Mr. Cape" or "The Lone Cape".

Also, I had an idea for a comedy film that takes place near the end of the world, focusing on how each people cope differently with the apocalypse; one still desperately tries to save himself and his family, one make amends to people he had wronged in the past, one finds religion, and one decides to do everything he'd always wanted to do in life.

A twist is that, in the middle of the film, we found out that the apocalypse was a fluke, and each people had to face the consequences of everything they just did.

The 'end of the world' thing has been done in an upcoming film "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World"

• I thought I'd coined the word "falafelcopter", before I found it on Urban Dictionary.

Add Comment