User Avatar Image

Worth Watching TV Shows

posted by Profanity on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

Hello.

So, you probably know that it's "off-season" for most (all?) of the currently running shows. That's why I want to hear some good shows, that I might not be aware off.

So far my list would be:
LOST
Dexter
X-Files
House
Big Bang Theory
Mad Men
The Office (It's horrible, don't even know why I keep watching it)
Supernatural
Numb3rs

I think that's it, if I'm not forgetting anything.

Enlighten me!

128 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @tredlow said: This is why I stopped watching The Big Bang Theory after 3 seasons

    Fair play to you for sticking out 3 seasons, Big Bang Theory is one of those shows I just cannot tolerate. Itself, 2 and a Half Men and King of Queens make up my unholy trinity of sitcoms.

  • @JedExodus said: Fair play to you for sticking out 3 seasons, Big Bang Theory is one of those shows I just cannot tolerate. Itself, 2 and a Half Men and King of Queens make up my unholy trinity of sitcoms.

    Two and A Half Men and King of Queens, yes, they belong in the screaming monkey hell of unforgivable sitcoms. And while The Big Bang Theory had its moments, several jokes are just embarrassing to think about. I mean, explain to me why "Bazinga!" deserves not only a laugh track, but also became a catchphrase.

    Though, I don't know if I hate The Big Bang Theory, since I simply lost interest rather than find it intolerable.

  • @tredlow said: Anyway, I've been meaning to check out Red Dwarf. That would mean watching about 9 seasons. Then again, it's a British sitcom, so that's probably about 60 episodes, right?

    Less, actually!

    Series 1-6 had six episodes each (26), while series 7 & VIII had eight (42). There's also Back to Earth, which aired as a three-parter (total of 45 episodes). Finally, there's also going to be a series IX at some point, though they've only recently announced that it'll happen, so don't hold your breath for that.

    On the plus side, each episode is 30 minutes, not your American 22 + ad breaks. And it has a really bitchin' theme tune.

  • User Avatar Image
    Profanity BANNED

    @tredlow said: I mean, explain to me why "Bazinga!" deserves not only a laugh track, but also became a catchphrase.

    Because it's extremely simple and some people will laugh at anything that is followed by a laugh track.

    The first time I've heard it, I didn't really mind. But I agree with you on it becoming a catchphrase, got very tedious.

  • @Darth Marsden said: Less, actually!

    Series 1-6 had six episodes each (26), while series 7 & VIII had eight (42). There's also Back to Earth, which aired as a three-parter (total of 45 episodes). Finally, there's also going to be a series IX at some point, though they've only recently announced that it'll happen, so don't hold your breath for that.

    On the plus side, each episode is 30 minutes, not your American 22 + ad breaks. And it has a really bitchin' theme tune.

    Just to say that 6 x 6 is 36.

  • @tredlow said: In my opinion, the thing about laugh tracks is that it points out jokes. Not good jokes, but every joke. Every sitcom makes bad jokes, with or without laugh tracks. There has to be at least one or two jokes in a sitcom that really just didn't have laughs. The trick is to make the ratio of bad jokes small compared to all the good jokes.

    When a sitcom tells a good joke, people will laugh at it and remember it, with or without laugh tracks.

    This was one of the things I loved about Scrubs. It had plenty of well-written humor and no laugh track.

  • @tredlow said: In my opinion, the thing about laugh tracks is that it points out jokes. Not good jokes, but every joke. Every sitcom makes bad jokes, with or without laugh tracks. There has to be at least one or two jokes in a sitcom that really just didn't have laughs. The trick is to make the ratio of bad jokes small compared to all the good jokes.

    That's what was good about Red Dwarf; if a joke fell flat, it fell flat and you moved on. Sometimes you'd realise you hadn't heard a laugh track in five minutes but the story is still engaging you. On most American sitcoms it seems like EVERY FUCKING SENTENCE has to be some kind of joke.

    So, my list. In no particular order.

    Doctor Who
    Stargate SG-1
    Stargate Atlantis
    The Lost Room (WTB season 2)
    The Coupling
    Red Dwarf (early seasons)
    Blackadder
    Burn Notice


    Wow, that was short.

    The Coupling was written, I believe, mostly by Moffat, so I'd recommend any fans to look at that. He also wrote a series called Jekyll which was pretty good. As with any comedy, though, it grew stale around the fourth season.

  • @GuruGuru214 said: This was one of the things I loved about Scrubs. It had plenty of well-written humor and no laugh track.

    There was one episode of Scrubs that used laugh rack...


    ...I MEAN, uh, track.

  • I'm assuming you're referring to the episode that was a send-up of four-camera sitcoms?

  • @GuruGuru214 said: I'm assuming you're referring to the episode that was a send-up of four-camera sitcoms?

    I didn't count the cameras but I was checking four of something else during that sequence.

Add Comment