User Avatar Image

Worth Watching TV Shows

posted by Profanity on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

Hello.

So, you probably know that it's "off-season" for most (all?) of the currently running shows. That's why I want to hear some good shows, that I might not be aware off.

So far my list would be:
LOST
Dexter
X-Files
House
Big Bang Theory
Mad Men
The Office (It's horrible, don't even know why I keep watching it)
Supernatural
Numb3rs

I think that's it, if I'm not forgetting anything.

Enlighten me!

128 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Falanca said: There was one episode of Scrubs that used laugh rack...

...I MEAN, uh, track.

Never watched Scrubs, but 30 Rock did a live episode recently with a laugh track. It was actually pretty funny because it made fun of live productions.

• @corruptbiggins said: Just to say that 6 x 6 is 36.

I fail. Everything.

Add 10 to my total then - Red Dwarf has 55 episodes.

@corruptbiggins said: The Coupling was written, I believe, mostly by Moffat, so I'd recommend any fans to look at that. He also wrote a series called Jekyll which was pretty good. As with any comedy, though, it grew stale around the fourth season.

But Jekyll only had one series... :p

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Oh, you FORGETTERS.

First, the David E. Kelley three (not naming "not for everyone" Ally McBeal):

The Practice
    Picket Fences
    Boston Public

and

The Good Wife

...and at least two seasons of House, M.D. :D

and Due South, why oh why didn't anyone mention Due South?

In the "just cause" category, there's still Third Rock from the Sun to be mentioned.

• This was one of the things I loved about Scrubs. It had plenty of well-written humor and no laugh track.

Yes and I loved that show, except the last season without JD.

I stopped bothering with the Simpsons around Season 13. It became unoriginal and a shadow of itself. Plus I got sick of Marge and Homer fight #502. Seasons 3-8 were my favorite.

A show a thought was really good when it was on was Smallville, which is the Adventures of Superman when he's a teenager. Great to seem how he grew into the superhero.

Yes 3rd Rock from the Sun is great, although John Lithgow makes the show so darn funny.

Dexter is awesome too, and a little creepy.

• I'm watching Red Dwarf on Youtube now. Seems like someone posted full episodes there. it's pretty funny.

• Gunman of the Apocalypse is, by far, the best the show ever got. Let us know when you get to it!

• @techie775 said: A show a thought was really good when it was on was Smallville, which is the Adventures of Superman when he's a teenager. Great to seem how he grew into the superhero.

Yes 3rd Rock from the Sun is great, although John Lithgow makes the show so darn funny.

Smallville is really that good? I tried to get into it, but the first season or two were just so... "oh hey a new random teenager gets super powers, Clark has to fight him now!"

And I second 3rd Rock. I forgot about that show. It may not have been the best show ever, but John Lithgow was always infinitely watchable on it.

• @techie775 said: Yes and I loved that show, except the last season without JD.

Doesn't count. Scrubs only had 8 seasons. Any suggestions of a ninth season (supposedly called "Scrubs: Interns") are lies, hallucinations, or a cruel cosmic joke.

A show a thought was really good when it was on was Smallville, which is the Adventures of Superman when he's a teenager. Great to seem how he grew into the superhero.

Meh, it started getting better when they moved away from the villain of the week type thing, but it didn't do so great in the last few seasons, when it was obvious that they were trying their hardest not to let him become Superman while they dragged the show out. Probably the worst offense was season 9's Zod, with season 10's "The Darkness" (Darkseid) not being much better. At least the Darkseid arc didn't make the show nearly unwatchable the way the Zod arc did.

• @tredlow said: Never watched Scrubs, but 30 Rock did a live episode recently with a laugh track. It was actually pretty funny because it made fun of live productions.

I loved 30 Rock at the start, then it fell into its own traps 'Isn't product placement lame? Well we're going to break the fourth wall while we do our product placement, makint both obvious ah heeelarious!' said 30 Rock 'Oh fuck off would you?' I say and 30 Rock dug its own wee personal grave.

Obv other stuff like the characters all becoming 2D caricatures and the fact it just isn't as funny as it was, but goddamn the product placement/addressing the viewer thing really got grating

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Soeroah said: On most American sitcoms it seems like EVERY FUCKING SENTENCE has to be some kind of joke.

This makes some shows absolutely unwatchable for me. Just make your stuff funny and I will do the laughing. :(

@Soeroah said: That's what was good about Red Dwarf; if a joke fell flat, it fell flat and you moved on. Sometimes you'd realise you hadn't heard a laugh track in five minutes but the story is still engaging you.

Wasn't that a live audience, not a canned laugh track? Makes a big difference, because the actors play to the audience and the laughs are organic, rather than being shoehorned in after the fact. That's probably why the laughs in Red Dwarf don't bother me at all.

Add Comment