User Avatar Image

Which Doc? *Chapter 5 Spoilers*

posted by adrian2040 on - last edited - Viewed by 619 users

I've just arrived to the point Doc comes back because he read the newspaper about the Key to the City, but then Hill Valley disappears.

Is this Doc the one after the 3 movies? I do remember watching in the movies that the Doc would later obtain the Key to the City, but considering the date of this newspaper...

36 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • This Doc is from a new timeline where he experienced the movies but not episodes one and two as an adult. He came immediately after he got the key, meaning the day episode one began.

• @Triloge said: This Doc is from a new timeline where he experienced the movies but not episodes one and two as an adult. He came immediately after he got the key, meaning the day episode one began.

He still went to 1931, he was researching Sylvia McFly for the book he gave Marty. So he still went through the events of Episodes 1 & 2.

• Yeah, that history book thing really confuses things. Since the Key to the city paper was from the date that Marty travelled to in the Citizen Brown timeline, I can only assume that this took place after the Doc of this timeline had somehow returned from 1931. Who knows.

• Doc was coming back with marty and the delorean at the end of episode 2, so I guess that he stayed in 1986 (he didn't disappear) while Marty came back to 1931.

• The Doc you get after Citizen Brown is the same Doc except with a slightly altered timeline.

The new timeline:
    Doc and his family now live in 1986. There was no estate sale. As for whether or not he experiecend episode 1 and 2, I can't give you a solid answer. Doc asked Marty "What are you doing in 1931?", but the problem is noone would know who Marty was in 1931 if the events of episode 1 and 2 never happened, in fact, he never would have gone back there and the changes to the timeline would never have occured. So no, I can't tell you that. I can say he probably didn't and there's a hole in the story. Still great though, it's hard to avoid when you're talking about time travel.

Odd, never thought I'd type "What are you doing in 1931?"

• @Flyingman356 said: Yeah, that history book thing really confuses things. Since the Key to the city paper was from the date that Marty travelled to in the Citizen Brown timeline, I can only assume that this took place after the Doc of this timeline had somehow returned from 1931. Who knows.

It's time travel in a sci-fi comedy. I think we're thinking about it too hard.:D

• I feel like my head is going to explode. All these timeline theories confuse the hell out of me lol.

• @Jexius said: The Doc you get after Citizen Brown is the same Doc except with a slightly altered timeline.

The new timeline:
    Doc and his family now live in 1986. There was no estate sale. As for whether or not he experiecend episode 1 and 2, I can't give you a solid answer.

Yes, Doc has indeed experienced Episode 1 and 2. But now only from Young Emmett's persepective.

Spoilers:

Before the game starts, Doc travels back to 1931 to research the McFly book. When he is framed and Marty arrives, the events of Episodes 1 and 2 are new for Doc.

However, now that Marty has made contact with young Emmett, young Emmett (and thus young Doc) also experiences the events of Episodes 1 and 2. But these events end up wrecking Marty's timeline up, as shown in Episodes 3 and 4.

During the first part of Episode 5, Marty sets Emmett back on the path of science and repairs Emmett's relationship with his judge father. At that point everything else up through the BTTF movies happens as we know it.

BUT - instead of traveling full-time via train time-machine, Doc's newly good relationship with his father now gives him a reason to spend part-time in Marty's present 1986 - keeping the estate and running the foundation/scholarship in the memory of Doc's father.

So Doc's timeline has changed permanently from the movies. But this time, the reason he travels back to 1931 is to bring Marty back to the present. He doesn't need to research Sylvia anymore because thanks to Marty he's witnessed the events of 1931 with Arthur and Trixie, so he never makes the original first trip to 1931.

So - no matter what, Doc travels back in time to 1931. And no matter what, Doc experiences the events of Episode 1 and 2.

BUT - there is a problem. Doc has brought Marty back to 1986, a 1986 where Marty never has to rescue Doc from 1931. So now there is a Marty from the new 1986 chilling in this timeline on his "trip", while the Marty we got to play in this game is also brought to this timeline - TWO MARTYS!

That could explain all the Martys at the end.

Also, to those complaining about not being in Hill Valley's future in Episode 5 - technically 1986 IS the future compared to the movies.

Also, if they do decide to take the multiple-Martys joke at the end of Episode 5 and finish a BTTF game trilogy, they could very cleverly make an alternate 2015 that matches our present day exactly, instead of the gizmo-filled 2015 from BTTF2. Just saying.

• @Shadowknight1 said: It's time travel in a sci-fi comedy. I think we're thinking about it too hard.:D

This, I try not to make sense of all this timeline shinagins since like one of the other posters said, it'd make your head explode.

• seems he followed the same timeline in the 3 films, a different timeline between part III and episode 1 (lives in the 1980s again )

the same timeline in episodes 1 and 2 but a different one in 3 until that point in 5.

Add Comment