User Avatar Image

BTTF Ep. 5 OUTATIME Discussion & BTTF Game Review

posted by MichaelJ Fox isAntarctian on - last edited - Viewed by 9.1K users

Well ya post stuff. Be all cool and smart and able to think through multiple time spectrum things in order to disprove other peoples theories. Ya...

433 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Laserschwert said: Wrong.

I liked the series, even though it wasn't as strong puzzle wise. The writing, voice acting and the plot itself were fantastic though. And I'm both a gamer AND a huge BTTF-fan.

I agree with you! I am a gamer and a BTTF fan as well! I am also in general an 1980's fan!!

• @timetraveller98 said: I want the old doc back, I mean the new doc is ok, but BTTF Isn't the same with the new doc.

SPOILER ALERT
    I agree! It is a mixture of the old doc and the new doc! Its cool that Doc came back in 1931!! If not, then Marty would be time stranded! MJF played two characters more than told! And it was almost going to the future! I loved this fiinal episode!!! It may have been the same length but felt longer. (It could be because I stopped in between the game and the shadowing refused to let me play past the Marty falling into the tent after flying. I miss the original Doc. After the whole game, I just tried to wrap my brain around everything that just happened! TellTale, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make a Season 2!!!!! I loved the final episode!!! My friend and I were trying to figure out the wall of glass then looked online and found out you just walk to the brown and wooden thing. Wow. How easy is that!!! I would have shared my favorite part, but it is pretty much video. Now what would have been cool but nearly impossible because the second season would be too difficult to make is you choose either to go with one of the Martys' (Of your choosing.) Or do what Marty and Doc did!!! Who knew Edna would love Dogs??? And what happened to what happened at the sale and is Biff just acting nice or is actually generally nice? Why did they not share the marriage and/or real name/fake name of Trixie sooner in the episode? And what exactly did Marty say when trying to pry the secret out of Trixie for the first time? And I hope Emmett kept the promise!! Why and how could Emmett be in love with Edna in the first place??? And What would Doc have said in 1885 and 1955 when seeing Marty ? Would he say what he did in the movies or saying "Hi Marty!" And Marty would be creeped out but okay at the same time and stuff? And whats up with the Algae cake guy? Why would they add him and what about the lady who was seen in 2 or 3 different parts of the game? (The girl who walked by when Marty shows the shoe to Edna in episode 1 and the girl in the past then and maybe in FCB timeline!)

• The final episode, as well as the entire series, were absolutely fantastic. I can't really say much that people haven't already - the voice acting with all its talent was awesome, and I liked the storyline quite a bit. I wouldn't have minded harder puzzles, but I also don't have as much time as I used to to play adventure games, so a slightly easier game that I can take in the whole story pretty quickly without being super frustrated is actually refreshing.

Really hope there's a series 2! The ending was a hoot.

• For ever episode I always play through it once and then watch a walthrough on youtube. I just finished watching the playthrough for episode 5.

Now ever since the game synopsis' were announced, I thought outatime had the best synopsis; cinematic chase, THE FUTURE. The fact that it is the ending is appealing to some but no so much for me (part III is IMO the weakest of the trilogy). Here were my final thoughts on it;

-far too much time in 1931. 3 or the first 4 episodes were primarily in that time and probably about 60-80% of episode 5 as well (depending on whether or not you want to count the alternate 1931).
    -continuing on the last point, i thought the expo could have been cut down. FCB and edna are both well established as the villains at this point, we didn't need the elaborate and boring glass house.
    -MJF as willie was an AWESOME cameo in both timelines. He does have shades of seamus with more eccentric undertones. Great character with great voicing, pieced together the 6 generations of the mcfly timeline (seamus would be marty jrs great x 3 grandfather)
    -the alternate hill valley bit could have been cut down as well. Some people don't believe it's plausible that a town burned down in 1876 would be vacant 55 years later. I'm not sure if it would or not, i dont think edna is crazy enough to scare everyone off, in those times she'd likely get offed. But anyhow i think this sequence was overkill. We already know she went crazy by that age in the normal timeline (for those unable to do the math, 1931 and 1986 would have the same time interval as 1876 and 1931 so she is the same age as she is in the present). The puzzle to get the cactus to look like marshall was slightly overdone. And hadnt it been mentioned that just like the normal timeline she collected every newspaper she could in this one as well? Could they not have broken into her house and gone through and figured out which one was the earliest one?
    -1876 i have mixed feelings on. I guess it's better than still being in 1931. We get another Tannen and one with a little more depth, this one seems to be somewhat reasonable, he believes what he is doing is right as it helps people earn an honest wage. Given all we see in that time (the inside of the salloon and the road), it could just as easily have been any time and wouldnt have made much difference but given the fact that it's a new time with a new character, i'll cut it some slack
    -the double delorean sequence was awesome; got the hoverboard and a puzzle involving the deloreans. Very well done (I believe this is the last part of the gameplay, the remaining 1931 and 1936 scenes were all cutscenes)
    -we got cheated out of seeing the future as the synopsis indicates, plain and simple. The future technology and future marty's are not suffice
    -WRT the ending; i'd really have to wait and see what happens to decide whether I liked or dislike it. When the first marty showed up and told doc he has to come back to the future with him I thought "okay this is an awesome parallel" but then he said his great x 2 grandchildren were in trouble and I thought it was getting slightly far fetched mind you that would probably be around the 2080's which is the same time interval as part III. The last 2 marty's showing up almost make it as though this ending is a spoof of the films and previous episodes (though I'll give Bob Gale the benefit of the doubt).
    -to me that 'to be continued' is a make or break visual. It's either going to be foreshadowing the next season or another lie on telltales part (and nothing against TT, they gave us a game we didnt have to have and did a lot of good things).

So i'm still debating whether i like or dislike this finale.

• How is it not the same Doc? At the end he gave Marty that McFly History book and mentioned the whole reason he went back to 1931 in the first place was to find more information about his grandmother. So he must remember everything.

• Okay! now that I have finished Ep. 5, I here is my review..I loved it! we got Doc back! and best of all the series isn't finished yet. I enjoyed the story and loved the surprises along the way. Michael J. Fox did a great job with his Characters. the whole series was just Phenomenal! and with will continue to play the whole season from beginning to end over and over again.

• Episode 5 was the worst yet of the episodes and it had an absolutely horrible ending that didn't wrap up anything. They didn't even leave anyway for them to create a new series like a lot of people on here seem to think they will be able to do. All 5 episodes were a waste of time and money waiting around for them to come out and be disappointed for each one.

• Alright. I haven't posted in the forums before, but I have been lurking since the first episode came out. I haven't posted a review yet because I didn't really have too great of an opinion of the series so far, before the ending.

I thought Episode 5 was awesome. I'm not a huge adventure-gamer, but enjoy it nonetheless. I thought the Puzzles and Interactions were quite easy to figure out, but to be honest I didn't really care.

I guess what people have to understand is that the game is played for different reasons. Personally I'm a huge BttF fanboy and will do anything that involves the franchise, I also happen to like games so for me its a good combination. If you're a hardcore adventure gamer I don't honestly think BttF was ever intended for you.

I thought Episode 5 was the best. It felt longer and it had way more action in different scenes (I actually thought it was over when you get to Edna's Cabin) so I was pleasantly surprised to play on for quite a while longer. The ending kinda sucked though :(

If I had to bring up a big point of criticism it has to be directed towards the exploration that has been brought up in the thread before already. Walking around the Expo floor and having like 10 things to click on seems pretty bad, I would think that something like a future exhibition could have many points of interaction but I guess that's a serious flaw of the whole series. I don't care about the puzzles tbh, but at least allow people to monkey around and click on a bunch of stuff.

The inventory also seems kinda useless as mentioned previously, I think TellTale really need to start adding a lot more "items" to the world, they don't all have to be used in puzzles, they can be like the algae cakes.

Overall thought I'd happily recommend the series to any BttF fan and I know for sure that I will play through all episodes very soon, exhausting every dialogue and scenery :)

And guys, even if you found the series almost unplayable - keep a civil tone, yes?

• @Michael J Fox is Canadian said: For ever episode I always play through it once and then watch a walthrough on youtube. I just finished watching the playthrough for episode 5.

Now ever since the game synopsis' were announced, I thought outatime had the best synopsis; cinematic chase, THE FUTURE. The fact that it is the ending is appealing to some but no so much for me (part III is IMO the weakest of the trilogy). Here were my final thoughts on it;

-far too much time in 1931. 3 or the first 4 episodes were primarily in that time and probably about 60-80% of episode 5 as well (depending on whether or not you want to count the alternate 1931).
    -continuing on the last point, i thought the expo could have been cut down. FCB and edna are both well established as the villains at this point, we didn't need the elaborate and boring glass house.
    -MJF as willie was an AWESOME cameo in both timelines. He does have shades of seamus with more eccentric undertones. Great character with great voicing, pieced together the 6 generations of the mcfly timeline (seamus would be marty jrs great x 3 grandfather)
    -the alternate hill valley bit could have been cut down as well. Some people don't believe it's plausible that a town burned down in 1876 would be vacant 55 years later. I'm not sure if it would or not, i dont think edna is crazy enough to scare everyone off, in those times she'd likely get offed. But anyhow i think this sequence was overkill. We already know she went crazy by that age in the normal timeline (for those unable to do the math, 1931 and 1986 would have the same time interval as 1876 and 1931 so she is the same age as she is in the present). The puzzle to get the cactus to look like marshall was slightly overdone. And hadnt it been mentioned that just like the normal timeline she collected every newspaper she could in this one as well? Could they not have broken into her house and gone through and figured out which one was the earliest one?
    -1876 i have mixed feelings on. I guess it's better than still being in 1931. We get another Tannen and one with a little more depth, this one seems to be somewhat reasonable, he believes what he is doing is right as it helps people earn an honest wage. Given all we see in that time (the inside of the salloon and the road), it could just as easily have been any time and wouldnt have made much difference but given the fact that it's a new time with a new character, i'll cut it some slack
    -the double delorean sequence was awesome; got the hoverboard and a puzzle involving the deloreans. Very well done (I believe this is the last part of the gameplay, the remaining 1931 and 1936 scenes were all cutscenes)
    -we got cheated out of seeing the future as the synopsis indicates, plain and simple. The future technology and future marty's are not suffice
    -WRT the ending; i'd really have to wait and see what happens to decide whether I liked or dislike it. When the first marty showed up and told doc he has to come back to the future with him I thought "okay this is an awesome parallel" but then he said his great x 2 grandchildren were in trouble and I thought it was getting slightly far fetched mind you that would probably be around the 2080's which is the same time interval as part III. The last 2 marty's showing up almost make it as though this ending is a spoof of the films and previous episodes (though I'll give Bob Gale the benefit of the doubt).
    -to me that 'to be continued' is a make or break visual. It's either going to be foreshadowing the next season or another lie on telltales part (and nothing against TT, they gave us a game we didnt have to have and did a lot of good things).

So i'm still debating whether i like or dislike this finale.

I agree with you on a lot of points. I thought the ending was good. However, the point I agree most with you on is the fact that the synopsis and preview were misleading. It clearly says a chase through the future, plain and simple. In the preview there is concept art for a future house which leads us to believe we will go to the future since the synopsis says we will. That alone upsets me because to me it seems like we were intentionally mislead in order to boost interest and sales.

• was a so-so ending to this particular series.... first off ... no clara. we bounced around the hill valley 31. and was short comings we go though glass house and then a short series of sentences and poof were at the delorian... sequences was good but ending ... was kind of hard to swallow.. was sort of reminiscent of circa 1985 but 4 martys in front of each other??? hmmm not quite the space time continuum we would hope for///... all in all hewey at the end helps a little.. will play again but not high expectations..

Add Comment