User Avatar Image

Season 1 and Screen Resolutions

posted by Ridah on - last edited - Viewed by 755 users

I have just purchased the complete season 1 on steam and have one question about the screen resolutions. There is no support for widescreen gamers. I have a 24" wide screen monitor, this game does not offer any wide screen resolutions so I am stuck playing this game in 1024*768 in windowed mode. Are there any plans to offer wide screen resolutions, or is there a command line switch I can use?

27 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Why can't you use 1280x1024? That resolution should be in there.

Also, does your widescreen monitor have anything that lets you use the original (or "normal") aspect ratio? Mine does. Maybe that's just because mine is so awesome. :D

• User Avatar Image
    Flo

@Sir Lemming said: Why can't you use 1280x1024? That resolution should be in there.

Because 1280x1024 is a 5:4 aspect ratio and Season 1 only supports 4:3 resolutions. The next closest 4:3 resolution is 1280x960.

• The version of the engine that is now powering season one could technically do widescreen properly, but none of the camera angles were set up for widescreen, so if we suddenly expanded out the aspect ratio, you would see environments disappearing into space, characters popping in and out at inappropriate moments, UI that fades off into a mess of textures, etc. Unless something wacky happens, expect Season One to remain 4:3, because going back and tweaking shot compositions and game scenes to display properly on wider screens would take some time ... time that we'd rather spend on making new episodes!

• @Flo said: Because 1280x1024 is a 5:4 aspect ratio and Season 1 only supports 4:3 resolutions. The next closest 4:3 resolution is 1280x960.

Right -- that's what I meant. I forgot about season 1's quibble with 1280x1024.

But yeah, what about 1280x960?

• 1280x960 is supported in season one. It can run at 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x960, 1600x1200. Mileage may vary depending on your choice of monitor, video card, and video card driver.

• User Avatar Image
    Flo

I just replaced my old copies with the new versions and I have to admit I'm slightly disappointed that preferences (especially resolution and volume) still aren't carried over from episode to episode the way it works in Season 2. Definitely a minor issue, but an annoying one nonetheless.

• User Avatar Image
    jmm

Maybe by the time Telltale starts selling The S&M Collection (A package containing 3 DVDs with seasons 1, 2, 3 and 4 plus comentaries, a S&M Poster signed by Steve Purcell and a Telltale's Hold'em 2.0 demo with a 25% off coupon for $125) they'll update season 1.

Anyway.... the update was never made to support new features. In fact, the main reasons given were: Windows Vista compatibility AND to replace the old activation procedure.

• User Avatar Image
    Flo

@jmm said: Anyway.... the update was never made to support new features. In fact, the main reasons given were: Windows Vista compatibility AND to replace the old activation procedure.

I know, and it really is a minor issue. But since the new versions already dropped backwards-compatibility with the old ones, this seems like a small thing to add. Especially since, with the full season out, new customers are more likely to buy the package rather than individual episodes.

• 'Seems like' and 'Actually is' are two very different things I'm afraid :)

• User Avatar Image
    Flo

@tabacco said: 'Seems like' and 'Actually is' are two very different things I'm afraid :)

Understandable, but as the code for storing preferences in the registry is already there (Season 2) and it's a once-per-game change (not like widescreen support which would require every single camera angle to be checked manually), it's still a shame ;)

Add Comment