82 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • What about the part where he says that all adventure games are roughly the same difficulty as BttF?

• Wowowow

[quote]I believe they made the puzzles easy to figure out in order to make progress shorter. Since there are 5 episodes, they don't want someone to get stuck, as then they just won't buy any others. They also don't want a user to take too long on one episode, or else they might not be interested in the next episode. It is simple, the game is not meant for hard core adventure gamers, but for basic gamers or bttf fans. Not all fans are into the genre that well, so easing them in is great.

It is also nice they have the hints, I used them a ton. I don't consider myself a bad gamer, I just consider it making the game progress faster. [/quote]

A post I made earlier I think fits well enough here. This game is way too story based to let challenging puzzles get in the way. I felt if they made them harder, it would make the game go on too long to the point I would have lost interest in the great story.

Oh, and James Rolfe was acting pretty much the whole time. I think he knows other types of games like this are harder.

• @SHODANFreeman said: What about the part where he says that all adventure games are roughly the same difficulty as BttF?

I think he just misunderstood James's question. It sounded like he was talking about the interface and way you interact with the game world more than the actual puzzle difficulty.

• @63cohen said: I felt if they made them harder, it would make the game go on too long to the point I would have lost interest in the great story.

That's not an excuse for a game that is pointlessly easy. They can make an easy mode, or just allow the hint system to help out players that can't figure out more difficult puzzles, but just removing any and all challenge from the game? It's like shipping an FPS with no real difficulty settings other than "Can I play, Daddy?"

3BFmq.png

• @SHODANFreeman said: That's not an excuse for a game that is pointlessly easy. They can make an easy mode, or just allow the hint system to help out players that can't figure out more difficult puzzles, but just removing any and all challenge from the game? It's like shipping an FPS with no real difficulty settings other than "Can I play, Daddy?"

3BFmq.png

You simply expected too much.

• Yes you did, I seem to remember Telltale saying we're making a back to the future game. I don't remember them ever saying it will be hard!

• I honestly expected him to slate the game, but no, he enjoyed it. I'm glad there's another one of us who likes this game.

• The thing is, this just proves how much of a niche adventure games have become, partially because of the high dificulty of most. The fact that he enjoys this game because he doesn't have to think too much probably says enough. Not everybody is as patient as most of you.

Or, how I'd like to put it, not everybody is as boss as you.

• I seriously do not think that I was SO SMART at five years old that I could outwit James Rolfe now. I mean, I think the guy is a moron when it comes to games(he has a surprisingly good taste in film), but I'm not so foolish as to confuse his childish persona for an actual CHILD'S BRAIN.

If not everyone is made for adventure games, then perhaps not everyone should be PLAYING adventure games. If you have the reflexes of a slug, maybe you shouldn't play first person shooters. If you have the spatial awareness of a mute bat, maybe you shouldn't play platformers. If you're tone deaf, maybe you should put down the Rock Band microphone. If you have a complete and total aversion to anything resembling THOUGHT in any of your leisure activities, then adventure games ARE NOT FOR YOU.

• @63cohen said: You simply expected too much.

Expecting Telltale to make a game that was even moderately challenging was expecting too much?

Why weren't goals, hints, and a flatout walkthrough mode not enough to get new players interested in adventure games? Why did they also have to remove any and all possibly challenging content from the game as well?

Add Comment