User Avatar Image

BTTF "Share your disappointment" Thread

posted by ADAMATION on - last edited - Viewed by 1K users

Okay, so 2 months or so ago, I posted a comment about how this game was going to suck for the following reasons..

A.) Point and click
B.) Linear gameplay

After getting bitched out by telltale radicals I thought, well...maybe it won't be as bad as I am thinking. And at least it's a modern, 3D BTTF game. God was I wrong. After playing the demo and watching in horror at the gameplay videos online..I totally lost all hope in getting an awesome BTTF game. And the worst part is, look at the Jurassic Park trailer. It looks awesome. It's not cartoony, and from what Ive read its NOT going to be point and click. Apparently the designer said it wouldnt feel right to walk around aimlessly solving puzzles..? So why the hell is the Back to the Future game just that?! Whats the difference between BTTF and JP? Theyre both adventure movies. So why does JP get to be an awesome adventure game and BTTF, which is probably more popular anyway, is a cartoony, restricted, puzzle game? I just don't get it.....And to those of you out there who are going to rip me to shreads about not knowing what BTTF is about or sarcasticly tell me theyre sorry that its not like GTA, this time I know I am right that BTTF did not get the game it deserved.

So anyone out there who agrees with me, share your story. And if you disagree with me, please tell me why I should like the BTTF game.

Thanks

87 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Aesculapius said: I'm disappointed that people were disappointed in this game. It was an excellent addition to the BTTF series. There are few things I could have wanted more from a sequel. It felt a bit restricted by the adventure game genre of gameplay (though I couldn't think of a better genre for it).

Long story short, I was pleasantly surprised by it, not let down.

Me too. I consider this is a legitimate BttF 4, so the people complaining about the story completely baffle me. And I've already said my share about those who hate it solely because it's too easy.

• Hey, where's that guy who's complaining on every thread? This one would be perfect for him. :)

• I just didn't like the ending. It appears like they are shifting towards parallel universe thingy, which I thought BTTF didn't support. Hopefully, we will see what those 3 future Martys mean one day.

By the way, perhaps not a total freeroam but I was expecting something like "Chrono Trigger" game if any of you played it. It features somekind of time travel, something similar to that would be nice in a BTTF game in my opinion.

• As I said in my review I am just a bit disappointed on how quick I got through the game's puzzles.

• @ChrisLaughlin said: My question is this. Who would be satisfied with these games? Who is the target audience? Gamers have come to expect a very high level of polish, challenge and overall quality from their games. BTTF is buggy, boring, bad storytelling, bad adventure-gaming, bad puzzle-gaming, bad action-gaming, etc, etc, etc. Who, exactly, is this supposed to appeal to? Adventure gamers? No. Puzzle-gamers? No. Action-gamers? No. The only category left are "casual gamers," and I doubt that even they would really enjoy this. So who is Telltale aiming for and why do they think they need to dumb down the BTTF games so much?

Remember Telltale, many of the most successful games have been the most sophisticated and complex for their time - the early Sierra and Lucasarts games, Myst, the Civilization series, all the amazing games put out by Bioware, the Modern Combat games, Bioshock, etc. Gamers want rich, complex, challenging experiences. Where do you get the idea that they want dumbed down, insipid, boring, diluted rubbish like the first two BTTF games? Who do you think your customers are?

OMG, what the hell. Shut up if you are going to speak nonsense. The target audience is right in front of you, bttf fans. There are enough fans to keep the game going, and it is good enough that they keep coming back.

I rarely make posts like this, but what the hell. You are obviously not in the target, and cannot adjust yourself to it. You have no understanding of how the system works.

• The target is morons. No, not just that. The target is LAZY, UNAMBITIOUS morons. If I give myself bad enough brain damage, I'll be "adjusted" to the target market.

• @Rather Dashing said: The target is morons. No, not just that. The target is LAZY, UNAMBITIOUS morons. If I give myself bad enough brain damage, I'll be "adjusted" to the target market.

You really have to be dense to actually believe that. Have fun knowing you paid 25 bucks for a game you don't like. Perhaps next time you will further research it.

• @63cohen said: You really have to be dense to actually believe that. Have fun knowing you paid 25 bucks for a game you don't like. Perhaps next time you will further research it.

-You have an inventory hovering around 4 items. In general, there are 2-3 items that are never used and whose use never makes even the slightest lick of sense.
    -Exploration and experimentation are discouraged
    -Most puzzles are solved by clicking the largest(and/or ONLY) thing in screen
    -There is a THREE STAGE HINT SYSTEM for these puzzles that a three year-old who has no idea what they're doing could solve in minutes
    -There is a MULTI LEVEL HINT SLIDER that has the main character outright SAY the solutions to problems if you wait more than a few seconds, doing what I don't know, because you CAN'T DO ANYTHING ELSE

If this game wasn't inherently designed for morons, if this game wasn't created with anything but the UTMOST CONTEMPT for the player, then it certainly wasn't designed in such a way to repel this assumption. This isn't a game, this is a DIRECT INSULT to anyone that buys it. There is nothing even remotely RESEMBLING value her. This gameSOFTWARE PRODUCT is lacking in content, lacking in interactivity, lacking in proper writing, lacking in everything but voice acting and music. It's 9 part shits for 1 parts value, and to enjoy it is to be blinded by fanboyism.

• Or, you just like thinking because you have played so many of these adventure games, that someone must be a moron to not get some of these puzzles. It is as simple as that. Newbie's to the style find it challenging, while veterans might not.

It is insulting to be called a moron, especially by an elitist like yourself. Again, I rarely make posts where I have to call back someone's hate, but this is needed here because I don't like being teamed up on by elitists who think we are all morons since we are new to the game style.

• @63cohen said: Or, you just like thinking because you have played so many of these adventure games, that someone must be a moron to not get some of these puzzles. It is as simple as that. Newbie's to the style find it challenging, while veterans might not.

It is insulting to be called a moron, especially by an elitist like yourself.

It's not an elitist who asks to have interactivity in their games, to have a game world respond to their actions(rather than having Marty say "Nah" or have another character interrupt your dialog choice with a generic response). It is not elitist to think that a puzzle that literally has less input points than a toddler's shape-matching puzzle is dumb when sold to adults. It is not elitist to think that having a hint slider and three-stages of hints for a puzzle that disables your inventory and involves clicking the ONE OBJECT on the screen that you even CAN click is insulting. It is impossible to have trouble in these games without having severe reasoning problems with which I frankly don't think a person can actually live through life normally.

Add Comment