User Avatar Image

E3 - Brief new King's Quest info

posted by Blind Sniper on - last edited - Viewed by 497 users

"Grossman said Telltale actually approached Roberta Williams, one of the designers of the original games, to see if she was interested in working on the new one. While she declined by saying she had retired from games, she did offer the development team advice, some of which was "very valuable," according to Grossman. "

http://pc.ign.com/articles/117/1174593p1.html

67 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm of the exact opposite point of view. Everything I've seen gives me reason to believe that Tell Tale will produce a worthy game in the King's Quest series.

There's two key elements that give me this belief:
    1) Tales of Monkey Island. This game fit right into the style of the earlier Monkey Island games, and might just beat out Curse for my favorite Monkey Island game (haven't played it in years, so it's hard to be sure). This says something important about Tell Tale Games. They didn't just crank out another Sam & Max game and call it Monkey Island. They tailored the game to fit the existing series. I see no reason they won't continue to do the same here.
    2) I don't put the King's Quest games on a pedestal. I've been playing through them again recently (made it through the first five so far), and while most of them are enjoyable, they're not these perfectly executed gems some people seem to think they are. King's Quest V, in particular, was not a lot of fun for me, despite fond childhood memories of the game. I think a lot of people here have painted over the flaws, creating ideal games in their mind that nothing TTG (or Roberta Willaims, for that matter) could compete with.

::Raises his shield and prepares to be attacked::

• Regardless of their flaws, we love the KQ games just the way they are......except for KQ7 and MOE, for the most part (I don't actually have a problem with the latter).

• Don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of the games, or else I wouldn't be here. I've just noticed a lot of people hold up the King's Quest games like they're an impossible standard for TTG to reach.

• It's less like they're an impossible standard, and more like they're a standard that Telltale simply doesn't WANT to reach. We've all read about Dave Grossman's mother-in-law one too many times and seen the catastrophic effect this kind of perspective has had on the company's output. It's also true that the King's Quest games were, frankly, the most technologically advanced of their time, and Telltale's will be....let's say less than that for the modern generation.

• Technology for technology's sake doesn't make a great game. Cutting edge technology would add very little to an adventure game at this point. I mean, I loved ADGI's remake of King's Quest 2. Some minor issues aside, I think it sits well among the official entries in the series, but it's hardly pushing the envelope when it comes to technology.

As for the articles about his mother-in-law, I hadn't read them before. Having looked over them, I'm forced to ask "so what?" Unless I'm missing something, he discovered that non-gamers have difficulty figuring out how to play an adventure game, and managed to make Sam & Max: Season 2 more intuitive for them while not sacrificing gameplay. If this means the tutorial scene at the beginning involves Graham explaining how the inventory system works, I'll survive.

• @Rather Dashing said: It's less like they're an impossible standard, and more like they're a standard that Telltale simply doesn't WANT to reach.

This is my thought (concern, reason for skepticism), too. Not just because of the mother-in-law thing but also how Telltale has been defining itself in what seems like every recent interview/article I've seen as producers of cinematic games focused on narrative and character. That's a long way from the "focus on the under-represented adventure game market" that Telltale adopted at its inception.

If you focus too much on cinematic presentation, a cohesive single-experience narrative and stimulating emotional investment in the character(s), it seems to me the natural result is a narrow-pathed gameworld with limited interactivity and simplistic obstacles to advancement. I don't believe it was an accident, or a failure of execution, that this is exactly how BTTF turned out, and why gameplay was lacking at various points in the The Devil's Playhouse for that matter.

Until there is direct evidence that Telltale intends to focus KQ development on things that make for good games, rather than on things that make for good movies, I believe skepticism is entirely warranted.

• thom, you make a good argument, and I definitely agree with you on the need to balance cinematics with good, solid gameplay. I certainly don't blame you for being concerned or skeptical.

I'm not trying to convince anybody to change their ways or anything. It's too early to really know anything about the game one way or another, but I'm optimistic. Life's more fun that way.

• Regarding the lack of info at E3 I feel that the schedule for this game was pushed back a bit due to the delay of Jurassic Park.

• I think there are some good points in this thread. We know Telltale's focus is story, so we are all interested in how they will handle the gameplay for a King's Quest game.

• Maybe it just means that the game will not reference back too much to the originals, so it will be a good jumping on point. I'm glad they approached Williams, as I believe it shows that they have a genuine interest in trying to keep it in the same vein as the older games.

Add Comment