User Avatar Image

GOG Staycation: 50% off all Interplay games!

posted by Rather Dashing on - last edited - Viewed by 261 users

GOG is running a 50% off promo on all Interplay games through the 4th of July as part of a "Summer Staycation" promo. Some major standout games here, including the Fallout series, Lionheart(the oft-forgotten brother to the Fallout games), Earthworm Jim, Freespace, and many others.

30 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I would recommend against Fallout: Tactics. Fallout 1 and 2 are some of the most brilliant games ever made, while Tactics was...

    Hm.

    Tactics was not made by the Fallout team. In a lot of places, it is simply wrong about in-universe knowledge. As a tactical game, it is only mediocre, and the Fallout name is the only reason it is still remembered. It isn't HORRIBLE, and may not even be BAD, and if you really love the genre you may have some fun with it. But I personally have not purchased a long-term copy from GOG, and even at this price I personally cannot justify purchasing it.

  • @Rather Dashing said: I would recommend against Fallout: Tactics. Fallout 1 and 2 are some of the most brilliant games ever made, while Tactics was...

    Hm.

    Tactics was not made by the Fallout team. In a lot of places, it is simply wrong about in-universe knowledge. As a tactical game, it is only mediocre, and the Fallout name is the only reason it is still remembered. It isn't HORRIBLE, and may not even be BAD, and if you really love the genre you may have some fun with it. But I personally have not purchased a long-term copy from GOG, and even at this price I personally cannot justify purchasing it.

    Wait...is it a RTS? Cause that could potentially be sorta fun if the game mechanics are alright.

  • No it's a tatics game like FF Tatics.

  • @Elvenmonk said: No it's a tatics game like FF Tatics.

    Um...never played that. Like how does the tactics work? I mean, the regular Fallout had tactical aspects to it.

  • @Alcoremortis said: Wait...is it a RTS? Cause that could potentially be sorta fun if the game mechanics are alright.


    I wouldn't call it an RTS, though the default combat mode is similar to one in some ways. There are three combat modes:

    Continuous Turn-Based (CTB): The default, some might say "intended", game mode. Both players choose actions at the same time, actions are limited by Action Points, which regenerate over time at a rate determined by the Agility stat.

    Individual Turn-Based (ITB): Basically combat like in 1 and 2.

    Squad Turn-Based (STB): Similar to Individual Turn-Based, except each turn is given to all characters in a player's squad at once, rather than going through each person based on their place in the sequence.

  • @Rather Dashing said: I wouldn't call it an RTS, though the default combat mode is similar to one in some ways. There are three combat modes:

    Continuous Turn-Based (CTB): The default, some might say "intended", game mode. Both players choose actions at the same time, actions are limited by Action Points, which regenerate over time at a rate determined by the Agility stat.

    Individual Turn-Based (ITB): Basically combat like in 1 and 2.

    Squad Turn-Based (STB): Similar to Individual Turn-Based, except each turn is given to all characters in a player's squad at once, rather than going through each person based on their place in the sequence.

    Huh. Interesting. So the first option would make it a little bit like KOTOR, right?

  • @Rather Dashing said: I wouldn't call it an RTS, though the default combat mode is similar to one in some ways. There are three combat modes:

    Continuous Turn-Based (CTB): The default, some might say "intended", game mode. Both players choose actions at the same time, actions are limited by Action Points, which regenerate over time at a rate determined by the Agility stat.

    Individual Turn-Based (ITB): Basically combat like in 1 and 2.

    Squad Turn-Based (STB): Similar to Individual Turn-Based, except each turn is given to all characters in a player's squad at once, rather than going through each person based on their place in the sequence.

    So is it possible to play in just one mode and get to play the full game, or are there missions and such that can only be played in certain modes? This system actually sounds kind of interesting.

  • @Elvenmonk said: No it's a tatics game like FF Tatics.

    Dammit, that was the one thing anybody could say to make me interested in this game. But I'd probably be better off just playing FFTA again.

  • @Pocketim said: So is it possible to play in just one mode and get to play the full game, or are there missions and such that can only be played in certain modes? This system actually sounds kind of interesting.


    You can play any mode throughout the whole game, and if I remember correctly you can even switch between them on the fly. It's a setting, a switch in the menu.

  • @MusicallyInspired said: I think I might have to pick up the Descent and Freespace games.

    I did it. Also grabbed Battle Chess Special Edition, which is basically the floppy version of Battle Chess (not the CD version, which I already have), Battle Chess II, and Battle Chess 4000 in one package.

Add Comment